Windows 10: Local account, lost password, possibly BitLocker

Discus and support Local account, lost password, possibly BitLocker in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My mother-in-law has been using a local account and does not know her password, or the answer to her security questions. She has been using Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pongalong, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Local account, lost password, possibly BitLocker

My mother-in-law has been using a local account and does not know her password, or the answer to her security questions. She has been using Windows Hello, but the camera stopped working - the only login option that is available is via password - the other options are blocked from the screen.

I was considering doing the utilman.exe trick via command prompt, but read that it will not work on BitLocker encrypted drives. I ran manage-bde -status and see the below, which I'm not sure what to make of:

Conversion Status: Used Space Only Encrypted
    Percentage Encrypted: 100.0%
    Lock Status: Unlocked
    Protection Status: Protection Off

This is actually my old laptop that I reset and gave to her (she refused to create an MS account). I may have the BitLocker recovery key from when I used the machine prior to the reset - would this key be valid (seems odd if it is)?

Summary:

• local account
    • no password and no password recovery
    • possibly BitLocker encrypted and no recovery key
    submitted by /u/pongalong
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/pongalong, Nov 9, 2019
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Nov 9, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Lost password (local account)

Hi Lisa, welcome to the Ten Forums.

Sign out from your local account, sign in with built-in admin account. Run netplwiz, select your local account and select Reset Password. Doing it from built-in admin you will not be asked the old password.

You can now sign out from built-in admin and sign in to your local account with new password.

Kari, Nov 9, 2019
  4. Local account, lost password, possibly BitLocker

Forgot Local Password

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and reset the password for the local account and check.

• Login in to your Microsoft account.

• Press Windows logo key + X key.

• Select Computer Management.

• Click on Local user and group.

• In the right window pane, double click on user’s folder.

• Right click on local user account and select set password and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

Local account, lost password, possibly BitLocker

1. Local account, lost password, possibly BitLocker - Similar Threads - Local account lost

2. local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost: I am using Windows 10 build 19044 and I had set up a local account in late 2020 with a windows hello PIN number and also a password 2 methods. I remember the pin code so can still access the computer. today I tried to change to a Microsoft account only to realize that i don't...
  3. local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost: I am using Windows 10 build 19044 and I had set up a local account in late 2020 with a windows hello PIN number and also a password 2 methods. I remember the pin code so can still access the computer. today I tried to change to a Microsoft account only to realize that i don't...
  4. local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. lost BitLocker password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lost BitLocker password: i upgraded to win11 but i found that the partition is locked with bitlocker password and i don't know the password.the password to this partition isn't on my microsoft account,...
  6. lost BitLocker password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lost BitLocker password: i upgraded to win11 but i found that the partition is locked with bitlocker password and i don't know the password.the password to this partition isn't on my microsoft account,...
  7. lost BitLocker password

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account: Hi, I have lost my password for my local administrator account and am unable to reset it as it is not linked to my Microsoft Account. I am running Windows 10 version 1909 on an Acer Aspire 3 laptop. I can access my computer with my 'PIN' number, but would like to reset...
  9. Windows Local Account lost password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows Local Account lost password: I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. A few months ago, my mom bought a laptop from Dell. She set it up with 2 local accounts, with her as the only admin account, and now she's forgotten the password. All the information I've...
  10. Lost password (local account)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost password (local account): Hello - I have been using a local (non-microsoft) account to sign in to my laptop. I set a four digit pin a few months ago because it's easier to remember and use - however - I have forgotten my actual password. *Sad A month or so ago, I attempted to use the 'netplwiz'...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. switch to local account bitlocker

2. local account computer asking for bit locker