Windows 10: Local Account unable to change settings Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Local Account unable to change settings Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a problem that's been slowly driving me mad, and have been unable to find any solution through Google or the Microsoft help pages. I have a PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pope_formosus, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Local Account unable to change settings Windows 10 Home

I have a problem that's been slowly driving me mad, and have been unable to find any solution through Google or the Microsoft help pages.

I have a PC with Windows 10 Home. I am the primary user, and have a Microsoft Account with Administrator privileges. I also have a "Local Account" for my wife to use, and the local account also has Administrator privileges.

When my wife is logged in (to her Admin-level Local Account), she is unable to change any Windows settings. Clicking on the "settings" app/widget will briefly open a window, and the immediately close it. So she is unable to do things like "change the background" or "enable night light".

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on under the hood, or why this is happening. Some suggestions that I have found suggest using Group Policy editor, but that is unavailable for Windows 10 home.

submitted by /u/pope_formosus
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/pope_formosus, Aug 27, 2020

2. Problem When Right Clicking on Empty Area and Can't Change to Local Account from Microsoft Account

Hello Ray,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

As per the issue description you are unable to use right click and change the Microsoft account to local account. I would suggest you to follow the steps provided below and see if it helps you to change the Microsoft account to local account.

Follow these steps to create a “Local User account”.

• Press “Windows key" or Start icon.
    • Type “users” without quotes in the search box.
    • Then select “Users” from the left panel.
    • You will get an option “Switch to a Local account” right below your user account name.
    • Select “Switch to a local account” option.
    • Enter the required details.
    • Then login to the local account and check how it works.

If issue persists try to create new user profile as an administrator and see if issue persists in new user profile. For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided below.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type control userpasswords2 and click OK

• Click on add under users tab

• Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account

• Click on Local account

• Choose a name for the account

• Add password if you want to

• Apply and click OK.

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Aug 27, 2020
  3. Zakin Win User
    Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Local Account unable to change settings Windows 10 Home :(

Zakin, Aug 27, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Local Account unable to change settings Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

Local Account unable to change settings Windows 10 Home

1. Local Account unable to change settings Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Local Account unable

2. unable to set a local user account windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to set a local user account windows 10: Hi to All,Just new to the forum, I have a question about windows 10 pro.Looks like this laptop was reset but I think this laptop was set-up for an school board.After reset on the step to se-up a user my only option is enter an email address for an specific school board., I am...
  3. unable to set a local user account windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to set a local user account windows 10: Hi to All,Just new to the forum, I have a question about windows 10 pro.Looks like this laptop was reset but I think this laptop was set-up for an school board.After reset on the step to se-up a user my only option is enter an email address for an specific school board., I am...
  4. unable to set a local user account windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Local Admin account settings keep changing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local Admin account settings keep changing: Hi There, On some of our computers running Windows 10 the local admin keeps asking for a change of password even though we select the option for the password to never expire. Has anyone else experienced this?...
  6. Windows 10 Home - "Other user" on Login - Unable to see Local Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Home - "Other user" on Login - Unable to see Local Account: This has just started happening this week on Dell and HP desktops with Windows 10 Home. I have a local account for Administrator access on all of them but a few of these PCs have changed behavior and now show the "Other user" login screen. I have to type the admin name and...
  7. Unable to change password for local account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to change password for local account: The Ctrl-Alt-Delete menu has no option for changing password. The User Accounts panel from what remains of the decent Control Panel redirects me to the Settings app. The Settings app Accounts -> Sign-in options has Change disabled for Password. Microsoft cloud login is not...
  8. Changing Local Account to Microsoft Account not available in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Local Account to Microsoft Account not available in Windows 10 Home: In Windows 10 Home Settings>Accounts>Info 'Sign in with a Microsoft Account instead' Is not available It is only available in Windows 10 Pro How can I change Local Account to Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Home?...
  9. Unable to change Language Bar settings in Windows 10 Home

Unable to change Language Bar settings in Windows 10 Home: I use multiple keyboard layouts in Windows 10 Home. A few months ago I was able to set up keyboard shortcuts to switch between them (I have three of them; they comprise two languages, one of which is set up with one layout and the other of which has two layouts); but the...
  10. Windows 10 Home - How to set a local atandard user account so that can not change the password

Windows 10 Home - How to set a local atandard user account so that can not change the password: How do you set a Local Standard user account so that they can not change the password for the user account in Windows 10 HOME? the options in Pro version are not there....