Windows 10: Local Admin account settings keep changing

Discus and support Local Admin account settings keep changing in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi There, On some of our computers running Windows 10 the local admin keeps asking for a change of password even though we select the option for the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Liam Cafearo, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Local Admin account settings keep changing

Hi There,

On some of our computers running Windows 10 the local admin keeps asking for a change of password even though we select the option for the password to never expire.

Has anyone else experienced this?

:)

Liam Cafearo, Jul 1, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Bypass Family Settings by conversion to Local Account

What you describe should be impossible. To test this I just now created a child account on my PC and signing in to it tried to change it to either an admin account or a local account. Could not do that.

The only way your son can change his account to a local account and "remove" it from Family, or create a new account is to have access to an admin account on that same PC (your account), or alternatively access to your admin MS account's Family settings online. For that he needs both your MS account username and password. It means that if you protect your own personal admin account (MS account) with a strong password and especially the Two-Step Verification, he has no way to access that account and he should not be able / is not able to change your Family settings or his account status.

Kari, Jul 1, 2020
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jul 1, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Local Admin account settings keep changing

Bypass Family Settings by conversion to Local Account

It was faster as I expected, the test confirmed my theory was right. Doing this your kid has absolutely no way to switch to a local account and leave the MS Family:

1.) Start as told earlier, creating the Child account as a Family account
    2.) Sign the Child once in to Windows, sign out and back in to your admin account
    3.) Press Win + R to open the Run dialog, type netplwiz and hit Enter to launch the advanced user control panel
    4.) Select the Child account, click Properties:

Local Admin account settings keep changing [​IMG]

5.) Change the Child account's user group from Users to Guests:

Local Admin account settings keep changing [​IMG]

6.) Close the Properties, close advanced user control panel

That's it. Users in Guest group cannot open and use the Settings app, therefore they cannot change the account type (switch to a local account).

Pros:
    • User cannot change any settings, not even open the Settings app
    • User can still download and install desktop software but when doing so, the PC admin credentials will be asked
    Cons:
    • To change any settings, an admin user must first change the Child's usergroup back to Users, sign in to Child account, change the required setting, sign out from the Child account, and finally set the user back to Guests group
    • To download and install anything from the Windows Store, an admin user must first change the Child's usergroup back to Users, sign in to Child account, download and install software from the Windows Store, sign out from the Child account, and finally set the user back to Guests group
    • OneDrive Desktop sync does not work on Guest accounts. To download, open or upload files in Onedrive the user must use a browser

Kari, Jul 1, 2020
Thema:

Local Admin account settings keep changing

1. Local Admin account settings keep changing - Similar Threads - Local Admin account

2. Issues with local account changed from local admin to guest

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues with local account changed from local admin to guest: I wonder if you will be able to advise on the following issue:. I have recently changed the local user profile from admin to guest. The user can no longer see things saved to the desktop and to his local machine , favorite tabs in chrome are missing and he can no longer...
  3. I ACCIDENTALLY CHANGE MY ADMIN ACCOUNT INTO A LOCAL ACCOUNT

in Windows 10 Customization
    I ACCIDENTALLY CHANGE MY ADMIN ACCOUNT INTO A LOCAL ACCOUNT: HELLO SO I WAS ANGRY THAT DAY AND THEN I ACCIDENTALLY CHANGE MY ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT INTO A LOCAL ACCOUNT AND THEN I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO CHANGE IT BACK....
  4. Local admin account vs domain admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local admin account vs domain admin account: Can both local admin account and domain admin account make changes on the Windows 10 Pro PC? Like installing programs, uninstalling, making network changes etc. Does one account has more access than the other?...
  5. Is it possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin ...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is it possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin ...: Is it possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin account on todays new modern Windows 10 computers? Yesterday I set up a new Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL laptop Windows 10 Home Usually I like to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin account and the...
  6. duplicate current admin settings of local account to a local user account on same system

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    duplicate current admin settings of local account to a local user account on same system: So I have set up everything as I want it with an admin account on a fresh install of win 10 home . Now I want to have 1 user account and 1 admin account for security reason (the same user for both accounts). How do I duplicate all the settings and apps I currently have on the...
  7. Two local admin. account

Two local admin. account: Have two Administrator accounts, both are shown as "Local. " Cannot delete/change the type of account. Windows keeps telling me I am signed in to the account. HELP 34557
  8. Local Admin account password changed to unknown

Local Admin account password changed to unknown: My local administrator account password has evidently been changed to something unknown to me. I am sure I am typing the password correctly, I've carefully tried several times. I have 3 local accounts on my machine and my Microsoft account (for purposes of this post I am...
  9. Running as a local Admin account

Running as a local Admin account: I am running Windows 10, currently running as a local Admin account and I am the only one using the machine. However, I am thinking to run as a Limited User instead by creating another User account as making that as an Admin account. Couple of questions though. 1). My...
  10. Windows 10 changed my Admin account to local

Windows 10 changed my Admin account to local: I have been using Windows 10 for months with only minor issues. I log in today and try to make a change and was unable to do so. I rebooted and when I logged in, it said I had a local account. Between yesterday and today, somehow my admin account was changed to local by...