Windows 10: Local backup solution for Windows 11

Discus and support Local backup solution for Windows 11 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I stopped fighting and allowed Windows 11 to upgrade itself on my HP laptop.I was previously using Acronis True Image and a WD MY Passport. But I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by McMalcolm, May 24, 2023.

1. McMalcolm Win User

Local backup solution for Windows 11

Hi, I stopped fighting and allowed Windows 11 to upgrade itself on my HP laptop.I was previously using Acronis True Image and a WD MY Passport. But I understand Acronis is not supported in Win 11 and does not appear to have a replacement product yet.What compatible software/external drive options are there that are compatible and supported?Thanks

:)

McMalcolm, May 24, 2023

2. Need a Backup Solution

That system works great for backing up files and such. But I need to back up everything. The OS, programs, etc. Is this method still ok to use if I back up everything? Including the C:/Windows directory? How would I restore everything?

I was thinking about some kind of imaging software. I've played around with DriveImage XML in the past and I think it's a viable solution.

Also is there something out there with incremental backups? (only back up what has changed instead of everything) That would be nice.

angelkiller, May 24, 2023
  3. Bokenzhe Win User
    Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Local backup solution for Windows 11 [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, May 24, 2023
  4. Sean8 Win User

Need a Backup Solution

Automatic backup

newtekie1 helped alot with what he suggested. Been using it for almost 2 weeks now works awesome.

Sean8, May 24, 2023
Thema:

1. Local backup solution for Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Local backup solution

2. Local backup solution for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local backup solution for Windows 11: Hi, I stopped fighting and allowed Windows 11 to upgrade itself on my HP laptop.I was previously using Acronis True Image and a WD MY Passport. But I understand Acronis is not supported in Win 11 and does not appear to have a replacement product yet.What compatible...
  3. Backup solutions for Windows 10 and Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup solutions for Windows 10 and Windows 11: My question: is "Backup and Restore Windows 7" supported by Microsoft for use in Windows 11? I use Windows 10 Pro on multiple systems. Some of my systems are upgradable to Windows 11 and some are not. Upgrading to Windows 11 is likely inevitable for me, but I'm not rushing...
  4. Backup solutions for Windows 10 and Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup solutions for Windows 10 and Windows 11: My question: is "Backup and Restore Windows 7" supported by Microsoft for use in Windows 11? I use Windows 10 Pro on multiple systems. Some of my systems are upgradable to Windows 11 and some are not. Upgrading to Windows 11 is likely inevitable for me, but I'm not rushing...
  5. Best solution for scheduled, local, online backup of windows system disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best solution for scheduled, local, online backup of windows system disk: Hi I amlooking for advice on how to make reliable online backup of windows system diskto local USB attached disk. Meaningthat if something goes wrong later on, you can restore SSD from latest backupand boot from SSD. Details: I havebeen using easeus backup for...
  6. what is the best backup solution?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    what is the best backup solution?: I currently have about 10 hard drives of different sizes but they are mostly 4TB, they are used to store some videos. But no backup for any drives now, they are working fine though. However, the drives are getting old, ranged from 2 to 4 years. I am now doing some sorting...
  7. Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network

Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network: I have been using Windows 7 backup tool in Windows 10 Pro. I decided I need something a bit more powerful. I am asking for thoughts on backup solutions for backing up to a local hard drive through a USB connection and a network drive. Using Windows 10 Pro. 5 TB back up drive...
  8. Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network: I have been using Windows 7 backup tool in Windows 10 Pro. I decided I need something a bit more powerful. I am asking for thoughts on backup solutions for backing up to a local hard drive through a USB connection and a network drive. Using Windows 10 Pro. 5 TB back up drive...
  9. Backup solutions for Small Business?

Backup solutions for Small Business?: What types of solutions out there would be a good first step when it comes to protecting the information of a small business? 109999
  10. Painless Windows 10 Backup Solution?

Painless Windows 10 Backup Solution?: Doing a search on Win 10 backup and I get tons of different programs suggested, paid and free. Then each has this option and that option, which makes my head hurt. All I want to do is to recover my COMPLETE computer system in the event of something going wonky. Issues...