Windows 10: Local Disk appearing after removing external drive.

Discus and support Local Disk appearing after removing external drive. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So I have a 1 TB external drive that I use for lots of stuff and every time I start Windows 11, even if the drive is plugged in, it doesn't show up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by m0ke0, Jun 25, 2022.

1. m0ke0 Win User

Local Disk appearing after removing external drive.

So I have a 1 TB external drive that I use for lots of stuff and every time I start Windows 11, even if the drive is plugged in, it doesn't show up because it doesn't have a drive letter. Fine, I'll assign one! BUT if the drive stays inactive for too long no read/write files or I put the PC to sleep, the drive unmounts, but leaves behind a drive called "Local Disk <Drive Letter>", whose drive letter I can't remove or reassign, which means I have to restart my PC if I want the drive to have the same letter, or I assign a different letter to it. Th

:)

m0ke0, Jun 25, 2022
  2. RobRue Win User

new drive named local disk(z) is appearing

Solved... at least for me.

I tried some of the other suggested methods to get rid of "local disk (z) with no success.

However, a simple System Restore to an earlier version removed the mystery disk Z: completely.

RobRue, Jun 25, 2022
  3. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Thank you for the response.

I change the letter of the drive trying to fix the error (the problem existed before that
    ). Also my external drive was working as an external drive and changed in sometime by itself ( ? ).

The responses from the questions that you made are:

1. MaxTor M3 Portable 1TB | Model:HX-M101TCB/GRM
    2. I am still able (like before)
      to save and create files and folders inside the disk.The problem that i mention is that i was not able to create the AutoRun.inf file (access denied)
    3. I can copy and paste data from my drive
    4. Disk perform showed no error (but it showed as a Label name:
      "nakos" but in the same time when i open my Computer and see the drives the label is as Local Disk
    The main problem that i have is that my external disk was appeared to my computer and to other computer too as a external disk (with the Label and the icon that i set). Now there is appeared as a Local Disk and ignore whatever
    label name i enter. I have set up all the folders, sub-folders and HTML projects to work in this disk with the label that was there before and not as a Local Disk, that's why is important to me to return him in the format like before.

Thanks again

NakosKotsanis91, Jun 25, 2022
  4. Local Disk appearing after removing external drive.

external hard drive connects as local disk

The hard drive(s) check out perfectly, including using the troubleshooting methods you cite. I can repeatedly remove, reconnect, read/write/delete/restore files to these drives, yet ... they appear as "local disks" and can not be changed otherwise. As
    I mentioned, this is a problem for software that requires an "external disk" device for certain processes.

This morning, I checked several other similar portable external hard drives mounted on numerous computers at my work place and found "local disk" to be the case for every system that utilizes Win7, Win8, or Win10 as the OS (maybe WinXP, but I didn't have that
    OS to look at). Google searches for this topic allowed me to discover that Microsoft has made this "local disk" bit configuration in the external drive hardware a requirement for Microsoft certification. Is this true?

Thanks for your assistance.

Bradford Seabourn, Jun 25, 2022
Thema:

Local Disk appearing after removing external drive.

1. Local Disk appearing after removing external drive. - Similar Threads - Local Disk appearing

2. how remove Local disk C drive shortcut ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how remove Local disk C drive shortcut ?: how remove Local disk C drive shortcut ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-remove-local-disk-c-drive-shortcut/5be2ba10-49d0-419c-8524-79916d8a885e
  3. Local Disk appearing after removing external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local Disk appearing after removing external drive.: So I have a 1 TB external drive that I use for lots of stuff and every time I start Windows 11, even if the drive is plugged in, it doesn't show up because it doesn't have a drive letter. Fine, I'll assign one! BUT if the drive stays inactive for too long no read/write files...
  4. External disk to local disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External disk to local disk: Hi! I have a laptop with only 118 gb of storage and a external disk with 300 gb of storage. Can I easily switch them so that my external drive becomes a local disk?...
  5. External Hardisk or external Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible

External Hardisk or external Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible: i hope someone can help my problem i have try to change letter but nothing change. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hardisk-or-external-hard-drive-turned-to/e394703e-e313-471d-841f-fa8977cb6884
  6. External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk": Hello, I was able to fix one of my hard drives with a simple step, hopefully, I can fix another! I have a WD Easystore HDD that has a lot of good graphic design material I can't lose. However, when I plug it in, the File Folder freezes up, and Disk Management hasn't loaded...
  7. External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible: Hi, My 4TB External Hard Drive was working well while I transfer files, sorry for my language ı am not native, And I wanted to change the speed because it was low as 35mb/ps and ı read that under policies segment there is another option for "better performance". And After I...
  8. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive: For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive). I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen. When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label...
  9. Why my external Drive appeared as Local Disk?

Why my external Drive appeared as Local Disk?: For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive). I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen. When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label...
  10. External hard drives saying local disk

External hard drives saying local disk: Hello. I brought a 4 bay external harddrive enclosure and have it hooked up to my laptop ( I will get a computer one day) The issue I have is this. Bay 2 3 and 4 no issues. I have 5 external harddrives. 2 x 2tb 2 x 1 tb a nd 1x 4tb 4 of these drives I wish to keep...