Windows 10: Local drive shows up as removeable in explorer?

Discus and support Local drive shows up as removeable in explorer? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Not a huge issue by any means but I was just wondering why this started happening.[ATTACH] A you can see D: shows up twice as if it was removable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LeoShafai, Mar 5, 2021.

1. LeoShafai Win User

Local drive shows up as removeable in explorer?

Not a huge issue by any means but I was just wondering why this started happening. Local drive shows up as removeable in explorer? cf892c0b-3db9-434b-a6ee-fb715accfad4?upload=true.png

A you can see D: shows up twice as if it was removable even though its recognized as local in properties and sata hot swap isnt turned on in the uefi.

The only thing I found that notices a difference is a cpu-z validation where it has no name: https://valid.x86.fr/5ikp57

Any ideas?

Thanks!

:)

LeoShafai, Mar 5, 2021

2. Can't rename "Local drive" in File Explorer

Hi,
    Thank you for posting on Microsoft community forums.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• How exactly did you change the Name of the Partition?
    • Is any drive letter assigned to the Disk Drive in Disk management?
    • Are you able to access the contents in the Hard drive form File explorer?

I would like to suggest you to Try assigning the Drive Letter and then change the name of the drive in Disk management.

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator
    to perform these steps.

• Press Window + R key and type diskmgmt.msc
    • Right-click the partition or drive that you want to change.
    • Then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    • Assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned,
    • Click Add, click the letter that you want to use and click
      OK
    • Click Start and type This PC and right click on the drive.
    • Select properties and change the Name.
    • Click apply and OK.
    • Close and reopen the This PC and check.
    I would also suggest you to change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

To remove a drive letter, click Remove, and then click yes to confirm that you want to remove it.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin V Rao, Mar 5, 2021
  3. Anak Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hi Jerry, you're welcome.

Here's mine after I rt clk'd on my Documents Folder like you show in Scrsht 11:

Local drive shows up as removeable in explorer? [​IMG]

I'd like to wait until you reply to my question in Scrsht 12, if it is a remnant of the process try deleting the one on the dsktp and see if the one in send to also disappears. If it stays in send to, test it, and if you're still having problems I'd suggest you could go back to: Option One: To Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu for Your Account (current user) and do Step 3 to remove it and start over using Step 4 but be very careful of your steps in creating the shortcut and be sure you d&d that shortcut to the send to part of the address.

I'm busy today and I probably won't be back until the evening.

Anak, Mar 5, 2021
  4. Local drive shows up as removeable in explorer?

Removed USB files suggestions showing up in search bar and in search this pc in windows explorer

I had inserted a USB in my laptop and then removed it but when I searched the files in the search bar and in search this PC in windows explorer, all of the files and suggestions from the USB show up. What do I do to remove them?

"show recently opened items in jump lists on start or taskbar and in file explorer quick access" is already disabled. I have tried removing and adding c and drive d drive from the indexing options. I also tried clearing the device search history but nothing
    seems to work.

Muhammad Luqman Qureshi, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

Local drive shows up as removeable in explorer?

1. Local drive shows up as removeable in explorer? - Similar Threads - Local drive shows

2. Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D: I cant access my external drive and it shows as local disk D https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-shows-up-as-local-disk-d/ea2327aa-81a2-488d-9d37-f833daab3f4b
  3. USB Drive does not show up in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive does not show up in Explorer: I installed Windows 10 using a Pen drive created by me from an ISO file of Windows downloaded. But the drive is not there in the explorer in order to eject it safely?...
  4. USB Drive not showing up in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Drive not showing up in File Explorer: I got a brand new flash drive and when I plug it into my computer it does not show up in file explorer, however I can see it in Disk Management where it says no media and I can also see it in devices and printers but in devices and printers, it is grayed out under the browse...
  5. Windows Explorer showing invalid Local Drive

Windows Explorer showing invalid Local Drive: Recently Windows explorer is showing a new drive. When I click on it, it is not existent. I read other questions and saw information about using diskpart and disk management. I tried both running as administrator. In both cases, the new drive letter does not appear so I...
  6. Drives of card readers are not showing up in Explorer

Drives of card readers are not showing up in Explorer: Hi, Yesterday I did some driver updates with Driver Booster 7 about 15 updates After that I recognized that my drives of the card reader are not showing up in Windows Explorer. The Explorer setting "Hide empty folders" is not set - that was the first I checked. The...
  7. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive: For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive). I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen. When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label...
  8. Hard Drive Showing Error And Not Showing Up In Explorer

Hard Drive Showing Error And Not Showing Up In Explorer: I was updating my graphics driver and had to restart the pc. When it started booting back up it took like 10 minutes to get to the windows login screen. Then I noticed that some of my program icons were missing. So when trying to figure out why I noticed my harddrive was...
  9. Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer

Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer: I have several server drives mapped to my Surface Pro 3 tablet, and from time to time they disappear from Windows Explorer and XYplorer (an Explorer replacement). They are still there and mapped, as Net Use shows them mapped properly. But to get them tho show up in either...
  10. Explorer showing removable drives twice

Explorer showing removable drives twice: Hi guys, This is another minor annoyance. When I insert any removable drive (USB, SD cards, etc) the device shows up twice in Explorer. Once under "This PC" tree and the other as a device. See attached pic (USB Drive H): I remember hearing about this being the way it's...