Windows 10: Local files and MS Edge

Discus and support Local files and MS Edge in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can anyone tell me how to open a local html file using MS Edge, please? Thanks in advance. 85925 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tony Vella, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Local files and MS Edge

Can anyone tell me how to open a local html file using MS Edge, please? Thanks in advance.

:)

Tony Vella, Jun 1, 2017
  2. MICROMD Win User

Re: Unable to open pdf files on remote desktop computer via VPN on Windows 10

I am able to connect to my home computer by VPN through DynDNS and able to see all the PDF files. When I double clicked one of files, MS Edge could not open the file on my local computer....indicating that Win10 cannot reach that page.

I can drag and drop the remote PDF file onto my local Win 10 computer and use MS Edge to open it.

Somehow, MS Edge can only open PDF files stored locally on my computer but not open any PDF file stored on a remote computer.

Why MS Edge indicated unable to reach that page but I could drag & drop from that page (from the remote computer)?

Please advise.

MICROMD, Jun 1, 2017
  3. Edge closes when you open any 'where to next' tab

So upgraded 3 PC's to Win 10 - one from Win7 local account still using local account on Win10 (Edge fine), one upgraded from Win 8.1 using MS Account sign-in before and after (Edge fine), and one from a win7 local account to win10 and the changed from local
    to MS Account sign-in - here Edge was fine after the upgrade using local account, but as soon as I switched to using MS Account Edge now displays the following behaviour:

As soon as you open any tab using the Win10 Edge default 'where to next' tab it opens and then immediately closes. If you force it to link to a certain site (eg: via a shortcut to another internet address) it is fine, but then a soon as you add a tab (which
    means a new 'where to next'' tab) it closes.

IE11 is all fine

JeremyBruceZC, Jun 1, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Local files and MS Edge

You can associate html files with Edge so double clicking them will open them in Edge.

But I have no idea how to launch Edge, then browse and open a file. (File, Open - doesn't seem available).

- and guess what- I don't use Edge...

And you should be able to rt click the file, Open with, and then open it in Edge.

dalchina, Jun 1, 2017
  5. EdTittel Win User
    You can use local file syntax in the address entry box in Edge, with a format like this
    file:///C:/directory/filename.html
    It uses the predefined protocol type "file:" with special syntax (three forward slashes before the drive letter) to then navigate into local file systems and structures. Here's an example:

Local files and MS Edge [​IMG]

Note that the URL shows here as: file:///C:/Users/etitt/documents/02fig01.html (It's Figure 1 from Chapter 2 of a recent edition of my book Programming HTML5 and CSS3 For Dummies, in fact).

One more thing: you can also navigate to an HTML or other markup (CSS, XML, and so forth) file in File Explorer, right-click the file, select the "Open with..." entry from the pop-up menu, and then pick Edge as the program with which to open the chosen file.

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jun 1, 2017
  6. Thank you Dalchina and Ed.
    I just accidentally noticed that if you click start>file explorer you get a much longer list of "recently used".
    Who said this old geezer cannot stumble onto success once in a while?

Also: duplicate the note and delete the duplicate.

Tony Vella, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Local files and MS Edge

1. Local files and MS Edge - Similar Threads - Local files Edge

2. MS Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MS Edge: Why does MS Edge keep asking me to enter passwords. This browser seems incapable of maintaining access to passwords and cookie settings. They disappear about once per day I'm now going back to using Chrome as I'm fed up with this feature of Edge!!!...
  3. Local .html files opening with file in Chrome/Edge

Local .html files opening with file in Chrome/Edge: By default, when you right-click on an .html file in Windows Explorer, it opens with the header "file://" instead of "html://". Is there a way to change this default behavior in Windows, or is this something that is native to Edge/Chrome that is causing the issue?...
  4. MS EDGE

MS EDGE: is there anything i can do in short of deleting this disaster to make it work correctly.it the worst browser ive ever used. used the old edge it was ok.this is absolutely horrible..thxs...
  5. MS Edge

MS Edge: How can i revert back to the previous version of edge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-edge/aed3a24c-53d3-46b0-b0ff-f0c8859025f4
  6. MS Edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MS Edge: I need to remove Edge or disable it permanently. We use Adobe for viewing and editing pdf's. We also use IE11 for viewing documents on our sharepoint server, all pdf's. How do I keep Edge from taking over as the default app permanently. In a company my size a windows update...
  7. MS Edge

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MS Edge: I am having an issue. My computer must comply with CMS HIPAA requirements. My company utilizes a screen saver that performs background work when it is activated. Since MS Edge preloads actions even though it is not active my screen saver thinks that the computer is active and...
  8. MS Edge

MS Edge: Always when i open a new tap in MS-Edge by Strg+t this browser opens a new tap but i cant start writing at once. First i have to click into the damn adressfield. Why is the adressfield not preselected. What die MS-Developers think the users intention might be after opening a...
  9. MS Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Edge: Edge will NOT start. Have done repair and reset and Edge will not start. How do I un-install and re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/ms-edge/cc9459bf-b326-4f86-b75e-f06d3a1ad73b
  10. Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file

in Browsers and Email
    Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file: Long story short, I have to create a small website for a class I am in. I'm not new to HTML, so this is easy peasy for me, but part of the focus is on usability, meaning I have to make sure the site functions across multiple resolutions and mobile devices. No problem, CSS to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file:///C:/directory/filename.html