Windows 10: Local IP returned instead of remote VPN's IP

Discus and support Local IP returned instead of remote VPN's IP in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi for several years both in win7 and now win10 I have a VPN to a remote Draytek router in the UK. All worked very well. BUT: Between July this year... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jeanrouge, Oct 13, 2019.

1. jeanrouge Win User

Local IP returned instead of remote VPN's IP

Hi for several years both in win7 and now win10 I have a VPN to a remote Draytek router in the UK.
    All worked very well. BUT:
    Between July this year and now (Oct) something has changed and exceeds my expertise to correct.
    I can set things to either:
    (a) connect to sites normally while running the VPN but then "whatsmyip" returns the local IP address instead of the remote IP address!!! (But yes if I do an ipconfig /all I see that my VPN NIC has been assigned a remote IP)
    (b) connect to the VPN and then discover that the DNS has gone AWOL and so I cannot connect to any sites. However the IP address returned by "whatsmyip" (after several attempts) is indeed the remote IP
    I have Edge, Chrome and Firefox as browsers in the hope that one of them might work but none do.
    One recommendation was to stop location tracking (in Firefox) but that changed nothing.

I also note that the gateway is 0.0.0.0 but maybe that was always the case.
    What I've read on the web concerning DNS suffixes etc seems very very techie indeed.
    I've tinkered but got nowhere.

I am really not sure where to look for a resolution to this - I have tried commercial VPNs (free ones) and the experience is the same.

If anyone has had similar experience or more knowledge I'd be really glad for some guidance.

Jean

:)

jeanrouge, Oct 13, 2019

2. VPN keeps returning the real IP address instead of the VPN address

I'm using the built-in VPN in Windows 10. Here's what I've done so far.

I've created the VPN connection, called "PureVPN" (the name of my VPN company).

I've inputted the username and password. I've inputted the server address that I always use. I use IKEv2.

First, I search for my IP address. It gives me my REAL IP address instead of the VPN one.

Next, I use Split Tunneling using this PowerShell method in administrator mode:

Get-VpnConnection | ? -Property Name
    -eq -Value
    "PureVPN" | Set-VpnConnection -SplitTunneling
    $true

I reboot. I search for my IP address again. Again, I get the REAL IP address.

What am I doing wrong ? When I use the software that PureVPN provides, I have no problems,

but I'm trying to learn how to do it this way. Thank you in advance!

EcstasyRealty, Oct 13, 2019
  3. dpaz_tech Win User
    VPN keeps returning the real IP address instead of the VPN address

According to their web site, PureVPN does use IKEv2, as well, so don't give up on that just yet. IKEv2 is more secure than PPTP by a long shot.

Regarding the real IP vs VPN IP issue... that is exactly what split tunneling does. It send most traffic through the underlying connection and only uses the VPN when the destination is only available through VPN. Turn off split tunneling and it should address
    that issue.

For connecting via IKEv2, try using Automatic instead of specifying it explicitly. The reason for doing so I outlined in this thread

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/why-doesnt-the-vpn-work-on-windows-10-mobile/607d23f9-eff0-44f6-9308-bbd250569966

Hope this helped.

dpaz_tech, Oct 13, 2019
  4. Local IP returned instead of remote VPN's IP

ON EDIT: It appears I solved the problem. PureVPN insists on a PPTP connection, and I retyped all my credentials instead of copying-and-pasting them.

EcstasyRealty, Oct 13, 2019
Thema:

Local IP returned instead of remote VPN's IP

1. Local IP returned instead of remote VPN's IP - Similar Threads - Local returned instead

2. Assign static IP to a VPN user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Assign static IP to a VPN user: Every time a user is using our Windows VPN to connect to the company network a new IP from a static range is taken. Because we have applications that require static IP same IP every time the user connects through the VPN how can we achieve this?...
  3. Can't change local IP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change local IP: ver 2004, build 19041.330 After losing my internet for no apparent reason, I did a Network reset and rebooted which fixed the problem. A few days after I fired up my AMPPS server and could no longer access any of my local Wordpress sites. I realized the Network reset had...
  4. IP IN VPN

IP IN VPN: Greetings! I really need help. Can I change the IP and make the computer think that you are in another place? Enable any IP address in the VPN. Website from which I download this document I want that system to see me as a new user every time when I go on there.I tried vpn,...
  5. Change IP by using VPN

Change IP by using VPN: Greetings! I really need help. Can I change the IP and make the computer think that you are in another place? Enable any IP address in the VPN. I would really appreciate it if you help. [Original Title: IP in VPN]...
  6. IP in VPN

IP in VPN: Greetings! I really need help. Can I change the IP and make the computer think that you are in another place? Enable any IP address in the VPN. I would really appreciate it if you help....
  7. VPN Issue : The Remote Access Service IP configuration is unusable.

VPN Issue : The Remote Access Service IP configuration is unusable.: When I am trying to connect VPN, I am getting error as below. [ATTACH] In this link mentioned to uninstall 1601 update,but there is no such kb installed. https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1950631-the-remote-access-service-ip-configuration-is-unusable-mobile-connect...
  8. VPN IP address

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VPN IP address: I'm using VPN from Avast and its information tells me its address is 5.62.43.85. However a warning message from Microsoft this morning told me there was a login from 5.62.43.33, giving a map suggesting it was from the Manchester area. However the Avast address seems to be...
  9. VPN Sharing to a specific IP -

VPN Sharing to a specific IP -: Hi guys, I have a VPN that runs on my windows 10. I would like to have that VPN shared/route to a specific IP (that IP is a router set up as an access point, and has wireless and ethernet ports, both working. dlink dir-655 that doesnt support DD-WRT). WHY i want to...
  10. Can't get "Hide My IP" VPN to work in Windows 10 - IP remains local.

Can't get "Hide My IP" VPN to work in Windows 10 - IP remains local.: I've got a pretty specific problem. I travel some, and some of the applications I use need to believe I am in the USA even when I'm not. On Windows 7, "Hide My IP" did the job perfectly. However,under Windows 10, nothing that I do seems to stop my local (Taiwan) IP from being...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what ip is returned when running a vpn