Windows 10: Local password change does not take effect

Discus and support Local password change does not take effect in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I was previously using Microsoft account login on Windows 10, and switched to a local login because the MS password rules did not accept a passphrase.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AdamHupp, Jan 29, 2021.

1. AdamHupp Win User

Local password change does not take effect

I was previously using Microsoft account login on Windows 10, and switched to a local login because the MS password rules did not accept a passphrase. This worked fine, and I was able to long with my new passphrase.

Some time later I tried to change my password, I believe with Ctrl+Alt+Del -> change password. This succeeded, but when I go to login it still will only take my *old* password, not my new one. However, when I try to change the password now I'm required to enter the *new* password in the "Old password" box. It appears that there's two different local passwords in use somehow?!?

This is build 19041.746

:)

AdamHupp, Jan 29, 2021
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Forgot Local Password

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and reset the password for the local account and check.

• Login in to your Microsoft account.

• Press Windows logo key + X key.

• Select Computer Management.

• Click on Local user and group.

• In the right window pane, double click on user’s folder.

• Right click on local user account and select set password and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jan 29, 2021
  4. Local password change does not take effect

local password

Hi AJ,

In order to sign in with your local password, you need to set your computer to sign in with your local account instead of your Microsoft account. Follow these steps:

• Open Settings > Accounts > Your account.
    • In the right pane, click the option Sign in with a local account instead.
    • To confirm that you authorize the changes, enter the password for your Microsoft account, then hit
      Next.
    • On the Switch to a local account page, input your local user name and password.
    • Click Next to sign out from your Microsoft account and sign back in using your local account.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

Local password change does not take effect

1. Local password change does not take effect - Similar Threads - Local password change

2. How long does it take for Windows to register a Microsoft password change?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How long does it take for Windows to register a Microsoft password change?: I've been having issues with starting up my computer recently so I wanted to boot it into safe mode to begin startup repair, but I had to log in to my Microsoft account in order to do so. I forgot my password, logged back in like normal not in safe mode, changed my password,...
  3. Effects of Changing Microsoft Password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Effects of Changing Microsoft Password: I am the administrator on a small network. I sign on to each device with the same user name and either a pin or fingerprint. Some devices are Windows 10, some 11 The password I could use on all devices is both the Windows and the Microsoft password.I want to change the...
  4. Changes using the Registry Editor won't take effect

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changes using the Registry Editor won't take effect: [ATTACH] Hey guys, I got a problem with the registry editor. I want to set my keyboard response rate really low. In the screenshot you can see what I've changed it to. I think the repeat delay was 1000 before or something. Anyway I don't get any notification that there...
  5. Computer name changes not taking effect in network view

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer name changes not taking effect in network view: My PC had some unrecognizable name like DESKTOP-AX2VB, so I went in an changed the name and description in the settings. I restarted the computer. Nonetheless, in the network view in file explorer I only see these types of names. What might I have done wrong? submitted by...
  6. Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect: So my touchpad one day started being weird. It is super unresponsive to tap touch, and also i've lost right click unless I tap with two fingers... I open up touchpad settings and I have now realised that no matter what I do, the changes I make simply don't change anything. I...
  7. Registry not taking effect?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry not taking effect?: I made some changes in the registry lately, but they still haven't taken effect. I rebooted my computer, changed permissions for the registry key, but they still don't work. I am very confused, this key has worked perfectly fine in the past, and I have no idea why it's not...
  8. Changing PATH does not take effect

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing PATH does not take effect: I have extended the PATH as in the attached screenshot, but when I open a new CMD Prompt, the directory I have placed at the end of the PATH is missing.*Confused [img] 134488
  9. Local Account Password changed

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Account Password changed: Hi, I have linked my Windows 10 app store to a BT provided email address. After rebooting it has asked me to login. It has changed my local account from my name to my BT email address and asking for a password. This is not my normal password and has seemed to link my BT...
  10. Settings aren't taking effect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Settings aren't taking effect: Basically I'm trying to get rid of the delay between pressing a key and being able to use the mouse. When I pressing keys I can't use the mouse at the same time - there is a short delay until the touchpad kicks into action. Very annoying when playing games. I fixed it before,...