Windows 10: Local private network access fails when the internet is down. Why?

Discus and support Local private network access fails when the internet is down. Why? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a home network with 3 Pc's, 3 NAS devices, a smart TV and the internet modem. Connected via an 8 port netgear GS608 switch: each device has it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Davidk03, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Davidk03 Win User

Local private network access fails when the internet is down. Why?

I have a home network with 3 Pc's, 3 NAS devices, a smart TV and the internet modem. Connected via an 8 port netgear GS608 switch: each device has it's own port on the switch.The home network is a private network - see screenshot attached, including properties of the local area connection linkWhen the internet is up, the PC's can access the NAS devices - they appear in windows explorer as network devices and mapped drives.However, when the internet is down external issues in the ISP access network, the PC's are not able to access any of the NAS devices. Attempts to do just get the internet

:)

Davidk03, Aug 10, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

How to share file access on private network

Kenneth,

But that is the [local] Admin account whose credentials you will use to authorise your network access [step 7 of my suggested procedure].

Denis

3. gs44 Win User
    Internet only, No Local network

Hello,

I have windows 10 and I have my own router that I use for internet access and local networking with other pc's also running windows 10 with shared drives and printers. It has worked flawlessly locally connecting to other pc/drives and printer sharing.

My network by clock has always said network and internet access until today.... Now it just says internet access and my local network does not work.

So why all of a sudden do I only have internet with NO LOCAL network access ???? All other pc's on my home network still function and connect to local just fine.

Rebooting router does nothing...

rebooting this pc does nothing...

resetting network on this pc does nothing....

All share settings are correct and network and sharing shows "private network" as it should.

4. topgundcp Win User

Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer

@dk1971
    1. Open Admin command and type: ipconfig

Local private network access fails when the internet is down.  Why? [​IMG]
    2. Win+X->Control Panel->Netwok and Sharing Center
      Follow the screen shot. This should disable internet access from this PC but allows access to local device(s)
      NOTE: Use the IP & Subnet Mask from step 1. Leave Default gateway & DNS Server blank

Local private network access fails when the internet is down.  Why? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Aug 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Local private network access fails when the internet is down. Why? - Similar Threads - Local private network

2. Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network: Computer 1 and Computer 2 are on the same Workgroup. There are No Windows Credentials on either Computer 1 or Computer 2. I am not getting the Enter Network Credentials windows anymore on either computer on trying to access the other computer from one computer. I have made...
  3. Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network: Computer 1 and Computer 2 are on the same Workgroup. There are No Windows Credentials on either Computer 1 or Computer 2. I am not getting the Enter Network Credentials windows anymore on either computer on trying to access the other computer from one computer. I have made...
  4. Why does windows explorer fail to show mapped local network storage when the internet...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does windows explorer fail to show mapped local network storage when the internet...: I have several PC's on a Local network, and that network is also connected to the internet modem. When the internet is down for any reason, the local network is still functional. So why does windows explorer not show mapped drives to the network storage devices when the...
  5. network internet access

network internet access: question from a non techie, when signing into banking, browsing etc on the internet, my signal changes from private to public!!! I have had BT Tech out to check my equipment and there are no problems! Have been through all the get help which have not worked, the last thing I...
  6. Private internet network properties

Private internet network properties: Though I have disabled the automatic connect to a certain network, the pc keeps connecting to it automatically. In the properties of the network the button for automatic connect appears disabled...
  7. Private Internet Access Re: Kill Switch

Private Internet Access Re: Kill Switch: Anyone using PIA and have the Kill Switch enabled? They gave me a pop "dire" warning when I went to enable it: VPN Kill SwitchPlease only enable VPN Kill Switch if you really need it. The Kill Switch requires modifying the Operating System's network settings and can in rare...
  8. Unable to access mapped drives over local network if internet connection is down.

Unable to access mapped drives over local network if internet connection is down.: I have a local network and several NAS drives and computer drives on the local network that are setup as mapped drives. Recently our internet connection went down for a couple of days and we were unable to access any of the mapped drives on the LOCAL network once a user...
  9. create a win10 local private network

create a win10 local private network: I have 3 win10 computers. I wish to have them on a private local network. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-a-win10-local-private-network/c1425957-1f51-4889-8cf8-9879cf32e0a2
  10. Internet Access but no Network Access

Internet Access but no Network Access: Hello, I am new to this thread and I encountered some problems with my internet. My internet worked fine and I didn't do any changes to it up until it stopped working. I've managed to fix the internet access to allow me to access the internet on my laptop through wi-fi...