Windows 10: Local privilege escalation via Windows I/O Manager

Discus and support Local privilege escalation via Windows I/O Manager in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) investigates all reports of security vulnerabilities affecting Microsoft products and services to help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Local privilege escalation via Windows I/O Manager

use something like this:

Code: PIO_STACK_LOCATION IrpSp = IoGetCurrentIrpStackLocation(Irp);… if ((Irp->RequestorMode != KernelMode) || (IrpSp->Flags & SL_FORCE_ACCESS_CHECK)) { // reject user mode requestors Status = STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED; }[/quote]
    Secondly, where the IO_FORCE_ACCESS_CHECK flag is already set in Options, we strongly recommend also setting the OBJ_FORCE_ACCESS_CHECK flag in ObjectAttributes. For example:

Code: InitializeObjectAttributes( &ObjectAttributes, FileName, (OBJ_CASE_INSENSITIVE | OBJ_FORCE_ACCESS_CHECK), NULL, NULL); Status = IoCreateFileEx( &ObjectHandle, GENERIC_READ | SYNCHRONIZE, &ObjectAttributes, &IoStatusBlock, NULL, 0, 0, FILE_OPEN, 0, NULL, 0, CreateFileTypeNone, NULL, IO_FORCE_ACCESS_CHECK);[/quote]
    More generally, where a file create/open call may be made on behalf of a user-mode request, do not assume that the thread’s previous mode is UserMode or that this will be carried forward to the IRP’s requestor mode – set the OBJ_FORCE_ACCESS_CHECK flag in ObjectAttributes to make this explicit.

Acknowledgements

We’d like to thank James Forshaw for partnering with us on this vulnerability investigation, and for the many other high-quality vulnerability reports he has shared with the MSRC.

Thanks also to Paul Brookes, Dileepa Kidambi Sudarsana, and Michelle Chen for their assistance in scaling the static analysis to the entire Windows codebase.

Steven Hunter, MSRC Vulnerabilities & Mitigations team

[/quote]
    Source: Local privilege escalation via the Windows I/O Manager: a variant finding collaboration Defense

:)

Brink, Mar 14, 2019
  2. Steve_857 Win User

Microsoft Windows 10 suffers from a pcap 10 local privilege escalation vulnerability.

Original question 'is this a vulnerability' with existing Windows 10 build. Had noticed the exploit in the database of

Operating System: Windows ≈ Packet Storm (website DB for exploits)

The problem suggests that W10 User Settings can be challenged by select code allowing privileges to be altered.

The exploit (not correction) is revealed by following code @;

Windows 10 pcap Drive Local Privilege Escalation ≈ Packet Storm

Thanks for your help.

Steve_857, Mar 14, 2019
  3. Steve_857 Win User
    Steve_857, Mar 14, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Microsoft Windows task scheduler zero-day escalation vulnerability

Read more:

Brink, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Local privilege escalation via Windows I/O Manager - Similar Threads - Local privilege escalation

2. Possible deep Trojan horse , Privileges escalating, rat, keylogger.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible deep Trojan horse , Privileges escalating, rat, keylogger.: Hello everyone and thank you for taking time to read this and Hope fully are able to assist me. I This is past my general understanding so greatfull for any and all feed back! About a month and a half a ago I noticed my CPU at 100% and really high ram use. When I started...
  3. Possible deep Trojan horse , Privileges escalating, rat, keylogger.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible deep Trojan horse , Privileges escalating, rat, keylogger.: Hello everyone and thank you for taking time to read this and Hope fully are able to assist me. I This is past my general understanding so greatfull for any and all feed back! About a month and a half a ago I noticed my CPU at 100% and really high ram use. When I started...
  4. Possible deep Trojan horse , Privileges escalating, rat, keylogger.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. escalated privileges file operation daemon app

escalated privileges file operation daemon app: [IMG]Last night when shutting down my Windows 10 desktop, which has the latest version on it, I got a notice that Escalated Privileges File Operation Daemon App is preventing shutdown. I've never seen that before and there is very little online to say exactly what that is,...
  6. Am I being privilege escalated/hacked?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Am I being privilege escalated/hacked?: submitted by /u/GeoffJuan [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j9wjir/am_i_being_privilege_escalatedhacked/
  7. Windows Privilege Elevation Management

Windows Privilege Elevation Management: Hello, I am configuring our privilege manager for our workstations at my business. I am having a debate on whether I want to allow ANYTHING to elevate from "trusted" directories i.e. Program Files and Windows directories that are owned by elevated users or make dozens of...
  8. Intel Unite Privilege Escalation Advisory - Feb. 12

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Unite Privilege Escalation Advisory - Feb. 12: Intel ID: INTEL-SA-00214 Advisory Category: Software Impact of vulnerability: Escalation of Privilege Severity rating: CRITICAL Original release: 02/12/2019 Last revised: 02/12/2019 Summary: A potential security vulnerability in Intel Unite® Solution administrative portal...
  9. Intel Quartus Family of Tools Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Quartus Family of Tools Privilege Escalation Vulnerability: Intel ID: INTEL-SA-00151 Product family: Intel® Quartus family of tools Impact of vulnerability: Escalation of Privilege Severity rating: Moderate Original release: 07/10/2018 Last revised: 07/10/2018 Summary: Unquoted service paths in the Intel® Quartus family of tools...
  10. Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool Privilege Escalation Vulnerability: Intel ID: INTEL-SA-00140 Product family: Intel® Software Impact of vulnerability: Escalation of Privilege Severity rating: Important Original release: 6/01/2010 Last revised: 5/18/2017 Summary: Privilege escalation Description: Permissions issue with IPDT Installer...