Windows 10: Local USB Backup Drive moved to Network Drive ?

Discus and support Local USB Backup Drive moved to Network Drive ? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 I have a 4TB USB drive I'm currently using for Windows File Backup. I want to move this to a NAS Drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dahai8, Oct 4, 2020.

1. dahai8 Win User

Local USB Backup Drive moved to Network Drive ?

Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

I have a 4TB USB drive I'm currently using for Windows File Backup.
    I want to move this to a NAS Drive configuration using a Raspberry Pi using this tutorial:
    How to Turn a Raspberry Pi into a Low-Power Network Storage Device

My 4TB USB Drive will be attached to the Raspberry Pi via USB as an NTFS drive with the proper drivers installed on the Pi so that can still be used as NTFS.

Since I already have File Backup data on this drive, will Windows continue to use that data and append to it even through it's over the network instead of direct USB?
    Or, will it force me to create a new folder on the 4TB Drive?
    Or (worst case), will I loose everything on the 4TB Drive and I have to start over again?

Thank you for your help.

:)

dahai8, Oct 4, 2020
  2. dahai8 Win User

Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

I have a 4TB USB drive I'm currently using for Windows File Backup.
    I want to move this to a NAS Drive configuration using a Raspberry Pi using this tutorial:
    How to Turn a Raspberry Pi into a Low-Power Network Storage Device

My 4TB USB Drive will be attached to the Raspberry Pi via USB as an NTFS drive with the proper drivers installed on the Pi so that can still be used as NTFS.

Since I already have File Backup data on this drive, will Windows continue to use that data and append to it even through it's over the network instead of direct USB?
    Or, will it force me to create a new folder on the 4TB Drive?
    Or (worst case), will I loose everything on the 4TB Drive and I have to start over again?

Thank you for your help.

dahai8, Oct 4, 2020
  3. dahai8 Win User

Sorry, should have stated I am using "Back Up using File History"

If I test this using a USB Drive. Then this really will break the chain of history I have on my 4TB drive. So when I plug the 4TB drive back in (either via Direct USB or Network share), I'm almost positive Windows will force me to make a new backup folder for a new history set - thus duplicating a lot of data already on the 4TB drive and wasting a lot of time and space.

If Windows doesn't seamlessly detect the existing File History backup folder when I move it to a network connection and continue to to File History Backups to it just as before (without creating a new backup set), then I don't want to do this. I'll just keep plugging and unplugging my 4TB USB drive into my PC every time Windows nags me to do so.

But if I try it, either with my current 4TB drive or a test USB stick on the network, and it doesn't work (ie: it forces the creation of a new File History Folder), then even if I go back to direct USB connection, it still won't use the original File History Folder and I'm still screwed.

Hope someone has already tried this and can tell me what Windows will actually do.

Thanks.

dahai8, Oct 4, 2020
  4. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Local USB Backup Drive moved to Network Drive ? - Similar Threads - Local USB Backup

2. Automate daily Backup for Specific Folder to my local drive and network drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automate daily Backup for Specific Folder to my local drive and network drive: Hi, How can I Automate daily Backup for Specific Folder to my local drive and network drive by using windows built-in features? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automate-daily-backup-for-specific-folder-to-my/0f40b3f0-d13a-46b7-b509-750a68d9630c
  3. Thumbnails not showing on network drive but on local drives.

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails not showing on network drive but on local drives.: Hello, I have a strange problem. I just finished my new rig and installed win 10 pro. I also have the latest version and all the updates. When I go to my NAS the explorer doesn't show thumbnails anymore(gif,png,jpg etc.). On my local drives, they are showing. I already...
  4. Unknown local drive after a backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unknown local drive after a backup: Hi, I have an external drive of 1tb L: that I use to store all of my pictures on. I have another external drive of 3tb K: that is designated for backups of the internal drives but I also wanted to backup the smaller drive and store the backup on the larger drive. I sat...
  5. backup to usb thumb drives?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup to usb thumb drives?: Is it possible to do backups to thumbdrives? If so, is it possible to do those backups with common backup apps such as macrim and/or AOMEI? If so what are the pros and cons? Windows 10 Pro 64 bit CPU: i7-4770k @350GHz Ram: 16GB Graphics: Radeon 580 8GB vram Winver 1903...
  6. backup to a network drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    backup to a network drive: How to setup automatic backups to a network drive? From my laptop running Win 10 Pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-to-a-network-drive/1d5dbd64-d939-4b84-bb3b-b80505d0406f
  7. Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network: I have been using Windows 7 backup tool in Windows 10 Pro. I decided I need something a bit more powerful. I am asking for thoughts on backup solutions for backing up to a local hard drive through a USB connection and a network drive. Using Windows 10 Pro. 5 TB back up drive...
  8. Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network: I have been using Windows 7 backup tool in Windows 10 Pro. I decided I need something a bit more powerful. I am asking for thoughts on backup solutions for backing up to a local hard drive through a USB connection and a network drive. Using Windows 10 Pro. 5 TB back up drive...
  9. Trying to set a backup to my local network drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to set a backup to my local network drive: It won't let me do so as I don't have a password set up on my network? Why is this? My network doesn't insist on a password, I don't want or need to set a password, so why should Windows 10 back up?...
  10. USB Backup drive location

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Backup drive location: Windows 10 File manager confuses me. My Seagate 5TB external drive is in 2 places on the left column. First it is on the same outline level as This PC, One Drive, and Quick Access and just above Network. Expand This PC and it is also there as drive (E). Curious minds want to...