Windows 10: Local user cannot access files in Window 11

Discus and support Local user cannot access files in Window 11 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; New Laptop Dell Inspiron 16 Windows 11. Migrated all data from old to new laptop. Created Admin account and two 2 local user accounts. Admin acct and 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jerry325, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Jerry325 Win User

Local user cannot access files in Window 11

New Laptop Dell Inspiron 16 Windows 11. Migrated all data from old to new laptop. Created Admin account and two 2 local user accounts. Admin acct and 1 of the local users can see all files. The other local user cannot! Have gone into File Explorer to select view all hidden files and empty drives on local user account and Admin. Need help!

:)

Jerry325, Nov 10, 2022
  2. Arun B J Win User

Unable to set restriction for local user in Windows 10

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

• How did you noticed that user is still able to access the drive?

• Did you log into the local user account and check the permission?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to restrict the user.

• In File Explorer, right click on the drive which you want to restrict.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click on Edit to change the permissions.
    • Uncheck all the permission for system.
    • Click OK and make sure the change is applied to all subfolders and files.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Nov 10, 2022
  3. File history on USB security user access

Hi,

To isolate this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File History folder.
    • Select all the files that you don't want to be accessed.
    • Right-click on the highlighted files and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click on Advanced.
    • Select all the user account that you don't want to have access on your File History folder.
    • Click on Disable inheritance.
    • Lastly, click on OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Desiree Yau, Nov 10, 2022
  4. Local user cannot access files in Window 11

Unable to access Local Disks (CLocal user cannot access files in Window 11 :), (DLocal user cannot access files in Window 11 :), and any programs inside those

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with privileges to access the local account, I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

• Please be informed us the troubleshooting steps you have already tried.

This issue might be due to some error in system settings.

If you have not yet tried the below steps, I suggest you to perform and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to log out from the current user account, restart the computer and log-in with the administrator account and check if you are able to access the local drivers.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to place the computer in safe mode, try to log-in with administrator account and check if the issue persists.

Try the above steps and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 10, 2022
Thema:

Local user cannot access files in Window 11

1. Local user cannot access files in Window 11 - Similar Threads - Local user cannot

2. Local user cannot access files in Window 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local user cannot access files in Window 11: New Laptop Dell Inspiron 16 Windows 11. Migrated all data from old to new laptop. Created Admin account and two 2 local user accounts. Admin acct and 1 of the local users can see all files. The other local user cannot! Have gone into File Explorer to select view all hidden...
  3. Windows 11 22H2 update: cannot Switch User at login and cannot see Domain user, only local...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 22H2 update: cannot Switch User at login and cannot see Domain user, only local...: Hi,I have two user accounts on my laptop; DOMAIN\first.last and localhost\name and could access both fine on Windows 11. After updating to 22H2 I can only see the locahost user and no longer have the Switch User function at the login page like I normally do. The local user...
  4. Cannot access local user from windows 10 computer.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access local user from windows 10 computer.: I have recently attempted to created a local user on my computer and switch from my online Microsoft account. I made a password for the user, but I am unable to access said password. I can't do anything from safe mode since I need the password from that specific account in...
  5. Can't Access Local users and groups.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Access Local users and groups.: I used this application called virtual hardware to customize my hwids and stuff I think that's what it did haha. Ever since I used this, I cant access Local users and groups. It says invalid path. And when I try to access net user in cmd is says windows error. Any help is...
  6. Cannot access local account user folder except through "Desktop"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access local account user folder except through "Desktop"?: Dear Microsoft Representatives, I have had my Windows 10 HP Envy for less than a year. When I initially set up my computer, I accidentally made a Microsoft account I've always preferred local accounts. No problem, I then made a local account with Admin privileges. The...
  7. Windows 10: How to access a file share as a different user than the local user?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: How to access a file share as a different user than the local user?: I have a Windows 7 PC. Let's name it server. A share on server can be accessed as user A. I also have a Windows 10 PC, named client. I am logged on to clientas user B and want to access user A's share on server. On Windows 7 and earlier clients, I can provide user A's...
  8. Can't access to new local user

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't access to new local user: I reinstalled windows and it was a proper clean install. I decided to go to a LAN party and give one my laptop to a friend. I thought it is going to be better to make local user account because I only need for one day. I made local user account but it doesn't work. I can...
  9. After Win 10 upgrade cannot access a local user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    After Win 10 upgrade cannot access a local user account: After installing Win 10 and creating Microsoft accounts for both my wife and I it is possible to access both as well as my previous laocal account, but my wife's has disappeared. It still exists by searching the files but I cannot get to it. I have also lost access to the...
  10. Local access user login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local access user login: I have several HP home computers that I am setting up local account users for. I have 7 kids so 9 of us in the family. I have created local user accounts with no email(kids). Some of them work and some I get profile service service failed can not load profile. I have...