Windows 10: Local user files lost after singing in with Microsoft Account in Settings App

Discus and support Local user files lost after singing in with Microsoft Account in Settings App in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a windows 10 laptop that I originally set up using just a local account. After using the laptop for a few months, I signed in with my Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ZenJewels, Sep 24, 2022.

1. ZenJewels Win User

Local user files lost after singing in with Microsoft Account in Settings App

I have a windows 10 laptop that I originally set up using just a local account. After using the laptop for a few months, I signed in with my Microsoft account in using the "Sign in with a Microsoft Account instead" link in Settings > Accounts > Your info. After doing, I can no longer find files that were in the Local account. Is there a way to recover them? Why did that happen?

:)

ZenJewels, Sep 24, 2022
  2. Kari Win User

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

3. Issues with the lost files in the account in Windows 10

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the lost files in the account. I will certainly assist you.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. When you say “main one” is it local account or Microsoft account?

2. Did you make any changes in the account settings?

I suggest you to login to the account where the files are missing and then follow the below steps.

• Open the Run by Windows+ R and then Enter.
    • Press . ( the full stop button in the keyboard) and then Enter.
    • Check whether you could see the user profile files.
    Reply us with more information to assist you better.

Anup Karkal, Sep 24, 2022
  4. Local user files lost after singing in with Microsoft Account in Settings App

How to Change Microsoft user account to local user account

Hi Pchelpmenow,

At this situation, what I can suggest you is you have to convert the Microsoft user account to local user account.

• Log to the system using her user account.

• Go to settings and click on Accounts.

• Click on Your email and accounts and click on
      Sign-in with a local account instead.

• Enter the password, click on Next
      and follow the onscreen instruction to convert into local account.
    Hope this helps. Let us know the result for further assistance.

Thank you.

Billion Debbarma, Sep 24, 2022
Thema:

Local user files lost after singing in with Microsoft Account in Settings App

1. Local user files lost after singing in with Microsoft Account in Settings App - Similar Threads - Local user files

2. Local Accounts and Lost all files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Accounts and Lost all files: I turned on my computer only to see that everything had strangely reset and I have not been able to sign back into my account because there was some sort of error. I signed out and signed back in again and I'm about to restart. The only thing that seems out of place is that...
  3. Local Accounts and Lost all files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local Accounts and Lost all files: I turned on my computer only to see that everything had strangely reset and I have not been able to sign back into my account because there was some sort of error. I signed out and signed back in again and I'm about to restart. The only thing that seems out of place is that...
  4. Local Accounts and Lost all files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Local user files lost after singing in with Microsoft Account in Settings App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local user files lost after singing in with Microsoft Account in Settings App: I have a windows 10 laptop that I originally set up using just a local account. After using the laptop for a few months, I signed in with my Microsoft account in using the "Sign in with a Microsoft Account instead" link in Settings > Accounts > Your info. After doing, I can...
  6. Local user files lost after singing in with Microsoft Account in Settings App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local user files lost after singing in with Microsoft Account in Settings App: I have a windows 10 laptop that I originally set up using just a local account. After using the laptop for a few months, I signed in with my Microsoft account in using the "Sign in with a Microsoft Account instead" link in Settings > Accounts > Your info. After doing, I can...
  7. Lost all files ... Local account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost all files ... Local account: I am a college student and my program is IT but because of COVID we have to do everything virtual and we had homework on creating account with command prompt both on VCLOUD and my own PC. Two days ago i was trying to open Word to do my homeowrk but a message pop up saying...
  8. Singing into a computer with a local account or a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Singing into a computer with a local account or a Microsoft account?: Hey everyone! I recently got a new computer and was wondering if I should sign into it with my Microsoft account or just use a local account. I don't use multiple computers (but that might change down the road) and the only services I really use are Office and Teams. Also, is...
  9. Microsoft account settings lost.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft account settings lost.: So yesterday my laptop just down itself, since it didn't have any battery. Today I started it as I usually do and log on to see the default windows desktop and all of my icons gone. There was a notification that said : Microsoft account problem We need to fix your...
  10. Sing In in my Microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sing In in my Microsoft account: Boa noite, Estou a tentar iniciar sessão para ter acesso á Microsoft store e à conexão entre o meu pc e telemóvel, mas sempre que tento inciar sessão aparece o pop-up vamos ajudá-lo a iniciar sessão eu clico em continuar e nada acontece. Estou loggado no browser, tenho a...