Windows 10: Local user profiles filling up SSD

Discus and support Local user profiles filling up SSD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I work in a school and we have some new shared laptops running Windows 10 Education x64 which have a vey small internal SSD. When pupils log onto... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mcourtmanCCC, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Local user profiles filling up SSD

Hi,

I work in a school and we have some new shared laptops running Windows 10 Education x64 which have a vey small internal SSD.

When pupils log onto these laptops a local profile is created within c:\users\ for each user.

We use Folder Redirection so when pupils save work into a folder such as the Desktop, My Documents etc... the work is saved direct onto our fileserver.

However a problem we are having is that the local user profiles soon fill-up the SSD and the devices become unusable.

I have applied some Computer GPOs such as:
    - Interactive logon: Number of previous logons to cache in case domain controller is not available = 0
    - Delete cached copies of roaming profiles = Enabled
    - Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart = 7

However this does not seem to help.

I wondered if anyone could suggest what other GPOs could be applied in order for no local profiles to be created.

Thanks,

Matt Courtman

:)

mcourtmanCCC, Apr 20, 2021
  2. v444 Win User

script to delete users profile

A1- i guess local. (please check the attachment,i'm following those steps to do it, if it helps you to figure out if it's on PC or local)
    A2- no i don't need logs.

Full user delete.docx

3. Rose Ter Win User
    migrate user profile

Hi Adeel,

For us to better understand the problem and provide you the best resolution, please clarify the following:

• What do you mean when you mentioned domain user profile?
    • Are you trying to copy a local user profile to a domain account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Apr 20, 2021
  4. Kari Win User

Local user profiles filling up SSD

Migrate Locale Profile to Domain

I removed my reply because watching those instructions on TechNet I started wondering if they really work with Windows 10.

Anyway, whatever you try create first a dummy profile, customize it a bit and move it to domain. If everything works, you can then move real profiles.

Thema:

Local user profiles filling up SSD

1. Local user profiles filling up SSD - Similar Threads - Local user profiles

2. SSD C: drive filling up for no reason

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD C: drive filling up for no reason: I restarted my computer and had 30 gigs free, I then turned it off and and turned it on the next day, and it only had 8 gigs left. What is going on? I have ran disk cleanup, cleared temp folder, everything is updated, and am currently running a full scan with malwarebytes....
  3. SSD C:\ drive keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD C:\ drive keeps filling up: I'm running Windows 10 and my C drive will randomly fill up suddenly. It will go from having 30+ GB free to only 6-10. I'll use disk cleanup but find less than a GB available to delete. Yet a few days later it'll go back to having 30+ GB free again. I installed TreeSize and...
  4. ssd filling up automatically for no reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd filling up automatically for no reason: i bought new gaming laptop g3 3579. it has 128gb ssd and 1tb hdd . i just using laptop for browsing . but my c drive ssd storage space is keep decreasing for no reason . i searched in youtube of disk defragment . so i install software but it make it worst . my free space...
  5. Local Disk filling up randomly

Local Disk filling up randomly: Hi, I've noticed that my local disk NVME SSD is randomly filling up. It went from 140gb available to 115gb. This happened right after the latest Windows update. Any suggestions? I don't really use my SSD to store data or install programs. Thanks :...
  6. SSD keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSD keeps filling up: Hi i have just received a new laptop with a 120GB SSD with window installed on it and a 1TB HDD but everything i do goes straight to the SSD and i get an error no disk space left. how do i rectify this, i have uninstalled all my new programs to free up space but that...
  7. I have a SSD and HDD and the SSD keeps filling up ?

I have a SSD and HDD and the SSD keeps filling up ?: I just got an Acer Nitro 5 Model Number: AN515-54-51M5 . I have 1TB HDD and a 128 SSD. Some reason, even when downloading the games to my HDD my SSD still seems to fill up? I have only 2 Gigs left on the SSD.... Only had the laptop a few days, but been downloading games to...
  8. Local C drive keep filling up!!!???

Local C drive keep filling up!!!???: Hello Microsoft Community, This is my first post on the community page and I'm sure its been asked before, but I seem to keep running out of disk space on my c: drive and its driving me absolutely crazy having to try and clean it on a daily basis to only get a gb or 2 to...
  9. User account with more local profiles

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account with more local profiles: Hi In Windows 10, a user account can have two or more local profiles? If so, how do I create them and manage them? Thanks Bye 22930
  10. Windows 10 and SSD Filling Up....

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 and SSD Filling Up....: So, I've got a question about Windows 10 and my SSD getting too full. I have plenty of space, but my C: drive has 3 GB left. Is there a way to tell Windows to extend to another drive? Say when I get an update, I have another SSD, I would like Windows to start writing to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows local profiles filling up c drive