Windows 10: Locally created files get "This file came from another computer..." warning

Discus and support Locally created files get "This file came from another computer..." warning in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I think the title says it all. I recently took a couple of screenshots using Snip & Sketch. After saving the screenshots and opening their file... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Leah96xxx, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Leah96xxx Win User

Locally created files get "This file came from another computer..." warning

I think the title says it all.

I recently took a couple of screenshots using Snip & Sketch. After saving the screenshots and opening their file properties I noticed that they had the "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" warning with the "Unblock" checkbox, even though the files were created locally by me.

I would expect this behaviour in a downloaded file, but not a locally-created one.

Why is this?

Thanks,

Leah

PS: Could someone also explain what is meant by "blocked" in this context? Since I'm too lazy to unblock everything I download, I have 1000's of "blocked" files. Every single one of them can be read, written and executed like any other file, as though the block is merely a placebo.

:)

Leah96xxx, Jun 14, 2020
  2. oily_17 Win User

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Jun 14, 2020
  3. Batch Files Knowledge Base

Very nice and usefull thanks for contributing.

AphexDreamer, Jun 14, 2020
  4. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Locally created files get "This file came from another computer..." warning - Similar Threads - Locally created files

2. Copying files from one computer to another.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Copying files from one computer to another.: I have several NTFS formatted portable HDDs that when new files are copied onto them from one machine and I attempt to read them on another machine the new files don't appear. I've tried to use chkdsk in command mode with the /f switch, but that will not run because I'm...
  3. This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer

in Windows 10 News
    This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer: If you have a file on your computer that may have been downloaded from the internet or copied from some other computer, then when you try to open it, you may receive a warning. Windows has blocked access to this file. If you see its Properties, you may see a message...
  4. "This file came from another computer..." warning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "This file came from another computer..." warning: I recently noticed that all my downloads over the last couple years are tagged with the warning "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer". After researching I found advice that it might be a corrupted user and is something that...
  5. this file is from another computer.....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    this file is from another computer.....: I have this problem, when I check the properties of most of the files on my pc, this message appears at the bottom: "this file is from another computer and could be locked to help protect this computer", I don't want my files to be damage or worse, get lost, please hope...
  6. How To Disable This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked and not lose the...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How To Disable This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked and not lose the...: Context: A few days ago this computer decided to start displaying an error when opening word and probably excel file, I haven't checked yet stating "Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions. * Check the file permissions for the document or...
  7. This file came from another computer and maybe blocked to proect this computer. Unblock,...

This file came from another computer and maybe blocked to proect this computer. Unblock,...: [IMG] I would very much appreciate if someone could give me a clear decisive solution that solves my issue and are able to explain it in layman's terms, although i consider myself someone who is a capable, quick to resolve most issues on the various windows platforms...
  8. How To Disable ( This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked)

How To Disable ( This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked): So how to disable that . U guys say that just check unblock button and fone but if i i ha too many files what can i do and yes i dont need powershell option and any third party option . And i accidentally installed one app before unbloking it .now my task manger regedit cmd...
  9. This file came from another computer and might be blocked?

in Windows 10 Support
    This file came from another computer and might be blocked?: I recently found out that some of the files around my computer have the following message in their properties, "This file came from another computer and might be blocked". Does this mean that these files are slower to load or even impossible to access in some contexts? I...
  10. Windows 10 Home. Disable this file came from another computer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Home. Disable this file came from another computer.: I am just going to say up front that I don't have the Pro version of Windows 10 so I have no Group Policy Editor otherwise I would have fixed this problem in less than a minute instead of wasting over a hour trying to fix this. I want to disable this on the screenshot for...