Windows 10: Locally stored pdf's will not display on two W10 machines...

Discus and support Locally stored pdf's will not display on two W10 machines... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have this strange issue with viewing locally stored pdfs in both Edge and Chrome. I posted about it here Strange issue with pdf's and Chrome on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by OppfinnarJocke, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Locally stored pdf's will not display on two W10 machines...

I have this strange issue with viewing locally stored pdfs in both Edge and Chrome.

I posted about it here Strange issue with pdf's and Chrome on Surface Pro 3... - Windows 10 Forums but got zero response. At that time I had only observed this issue on my Surface Pro 3 and in Chrome, but now I also see a similar issue on my Asus laptop, and with Edge.

Locally stored pdfs (that is, pdfs not accessed through web links, but stored on the local HD/SSD) do not open in neither Edge nor Chrome. Double clicking a pdf in Windows Explorer, when Edge is the default pdf viewer, it asks "Do you want to open file.pdf (123kB) from DESKTOP-UX6B22BJ?". Clicking open then briefly flashes a new tab that is immediately closed, and nothing else happens. When Chrome is the default pdf viewer and a locally stored pdf is double clicked in Windows Explorer, Chrome proceeds to "download" the file into the same location making a copy of it with "(1)" added to the file name.

On my Surface Pro 3, which runs the 1607 AU, Edge behaves slightly differently, as it tries to download the file into the same directory as the original file is in, and not succeeding (I guess because of a name clash) it just hangs there saying "0.0 bytes Waiting to download - 0%"

This is *very* annoying, and as I said, it happens on two different W10 machines, both running W10x64pro.
    Accessing pdfs form the web works fine, both Edge and Chrome display them as expected, this only affects pdfs stored on the local HD/SSD. And teh same thing happens if I in Chrome go to say file:///C:/Users/<me>/Downloads/ and click a pdf there, Chrome downloads it adding "(1)" to the file name.

Anyone else seen this?

:)

OppfinnarJocke, Aug 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 won't make a wireless connection; reports itself "offline"

Original Title: Internet connection

Successful install of W10 on a laptop. Wireless internet connection. Accessed the store, downloaded an app. Two days later, 10 won't make a wireless connection; reports itself "off line". No error messages, The network center in control panel shows
    the available network and displays "not connected". I click "connect", but it fails. Two other W10 machines are on this same (in home) wireless network and they connect just fine. How to trouble shoot?

LarryMcMaster, Aug 18, 2016
  3. IANDUFFY Win User
    Quickbooks 2012 pro and Windows 10: saving or emailing PDF files not working

We just upgraded our computers and now have w10. Our quickbooks pro 2012 would not print pdfs (or anything else at one point). This is happening on two new machines. The repair utility above has resolved regular printing, but we still can't print pdfs.
    If we try and send a pdf in quickbooks we get:

"Your forms were not sent. Quickbooks could not create the necessary pdf files"

If we try and save the form as a pdf we get:

"Quickbooks could not save your form as a pdf file"

Please help

IANDUFFY, Aug 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Locally stored pdf's will not display on two W10 machines...

Hello, can you please post an equivalent screenshot to this showing your pdf association?

Locally stored pdf's will not display on two W10 machines... [​IMG]

You will see mine is set to Sumatra, a small fast pdf reader. That's what opens pdfs when I dclick on them, whereas on-line pdfs open in my browser.

dalchina, Aug 18, 2016
Thema:

Locally stored pdf's will not display on two W10 machines...

1. Locally stored pdf's will not display on two W10 machines... - Similar Threads - Locally stored pdf's

2. Two local disks?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two local disks?: Hello guys, suddently a Local Drive X: appeared in my PC and supposedly I can't connect to itIts icon is even something I never saw, it's a drive with a question mark on the right sideIs there a way to remove this?...
  3. Two local disks?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two local disks?: Hello guys, suddently a Local Drive X: appeared in my PC and supposedly I can't connect to itIts icon is even something I never saw, it's a drive with a question mark on the right sideIs there a way to remove this?...
  4. Two local disks?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Displaying PDF files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Displaying PDF files: 1/27/23 I am running a Dell XPS system with Windows 10 with all the latest updates. I have set up my system so that when I want to display a file from a webpage it gets downloaded instead. I don’t remember how I did this or whether I did it in Windows settings or my Chrome...
  6. copying w10 to a new machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    copying w10 to a new machine: I seem to recall a license for W10 allowing you to place the OS on two devices at once.My old machine is temporarily inaccessible and I have a new laptop I'd like to set up with the platform. How can I do this?...
  7. W10 ssd in new machine

W10 ssd in new machine: Im getting a new system and putting my old ssd in the new system as the os drive. Do i need to reinstall Windows ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-ssd-in-new-machine/7e9d7623-86bb-4b2d-bc93-d89eef82d0c5
  8. Two W10 drives

Two W10 drives: I just got a new DELL with a single HDD. I would like to take the system drive from my old HP Pavilion and install it as a second drive in the DELL (The drive is a very nice new WD). When I first boot up, the PC will see two system drives. Will this cause a problem? How...
  9. Booting issues with w10 machine

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting issues with w10 machine: Hi Last year a bought a new machine. I also ordered a w10 copy but when I got the machine it was already installed. The very first night I booted it it refused to shut down with some error (can't remember which one) and I had to use system restore. This happened 3 times in...
  10. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...