Windows 10: Location for this device

Discus and support Location for this device in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have several apps that use location detection. The setting for the Location of this device is on. The problem is that the location detected is Quincy... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DonnaDay2, Sep 20, 2020.

1. DonnaDay2 Win User

Location for this device

I have several apps that use location detection. The setting for the Location of this device is on. The problem is that the location detected is Quincy California, 100 miles NNE from where I am. How can I get the PC to select is actual location.

:)

DonnaDay2, Sep 20, 2020
  2. Ian Ser Win User

Locate device

Hello,

Are these the steps you're doing when trying to locate your device?

• Go to
      account.microsoft.com/devices
      . If you're asked to sign in, use the same Microsoft account you used to sign in to the lost device.
    • Choose your device from the list, then select Find my device.
    • You'll see a map with a highlighted location. However, this may not be your device's current location. When a Microsoft device is turned on, we periodically save your device location, so check the
      Last seen at timestamp.
    • In the meantime, we'll automatically start a new search. Wait a bit and the new device location should appear.

You can also have the option of locking the device to render it useless unless that the person knows your credentials. Here's how:

• When you find your device on the map, select Lock > Next.
    • Type a lock-screen message for anyone who finds your device to see.
    • Select Lock. Note that anyone who finds your locked device can't sign in unless they are an admin for a Microsoft account already on the device.
    Reset your password
    Once your device is locked, you should reset your password for added security. Select
    Reset password and follow the instructions.

I'll be waiting for your updates.

Ian Ser, Sep 20, 2020
  3. Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 20, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Location for this device

Unable to turn on the Location from the Location Settings.

Hi Rafiul,

It is possible that the
    GPS chipset
    is not working properly causing your location settings to be
    disabled or cannot be turned on. Kindly run the
    Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting
      and hit
      Enter.

• Choose
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on the
      Hardware and Devices
      to run the
      Troubleshooter.

If the issue
    persists, we suggest that you contact your
    computer/laptop's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

Location for this device

1. Location for this device - Similar Threads - Location device

2. Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account: After the latest update in March 2024, the location of my computer in my Microsoft Account is shown as Vacaville CA and the address shown in Settings is Rockwood PA, the correct Address. I can't change the address in my Microsoft Account. Geek Squad tried to fix it and after...
  3. Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account: After the latest update in March 2024, the location of my computer in my Microsoft Account is shown as Vacaville CA and the address shown in Settings is Rockwood PA, the correct Address. I can't change the address in my Microsoft Account. Geek Squad tried to fix it and after...
  4. Incorrect Device Location in my Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to make Cast to Device the default Audio Output? Location of Cast to Device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make Cast to Device the default Audio Output? Location of Cast to Device?: I want to associate audio files, such as .mp3 and .wav with Cast to Device app. in other words, to make Cast to Device the default audio output.The volume and sound quality is higher when using Cast to Device, than Line Out cable connection.I could Cast to Device files with a...
  6. How to make Cast to Device the default Audio Output? Location of Cast to Device?

How to make Cast to Device the default Audio Output? Location of Cast to Device?: I want to associate audio files, such as .mp3 and .wav with Cast to Device app. in other words, to make Cast to Device the default audio output.The volume and sound quality is higher when using Cast to Device, than Line Out cable connection.I could Cast to Device files with a...
  7. How to make Cast to Device the default Audio Output? Location of Cast to Device?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Device location problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device location problem: I Live in Pueblo Colorado and my device location says palm beach Fl, some times https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-location-problem/f6ea11ea-9ccd-4a8b-8672-87378a26efb8
  9. Device location problem

Device location problem: I Live in Pueblo Colorado and my device location says palm beach Fl, some times https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-location-problem/f6ea11ea-9ccd-4a8b-8672-87378a26efb8
  10. Device location problem

in Windows 10 Customization