Windows 10: "LOCATION" is missing from all personal folders including Video, Music, Photo, Documents...

Discus and support "LOCATION" is missing from all personal folders including Video, Music, Photo, Documents... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; "LOCATION" is missing from all personal folders including Video, Music, Photo, Documents and Downloads. I know there are several responses to this but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jo Sakia, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Jo Sakia Win User

"LOCATION" is missing from all personal folders including Video, Music, Photo, Documents...

"LOCATION" is missing from all personal folders including Video, Music, Photo, Documents and Downloads. I know there are several responses to this but I find it hard to follow them. I am on Windows 10, latest update. I have been trying to change the default location for the downloads from the default of %USERPROFILE%\Downloads.

I tried right clicking on any of the personal folders but as noted before, the LOCATION tab does not exist. The only thing I did not try was changing the Registry entry. I wanted to get the system back where it belongs.

Hope someone can guide me to straighten this out so I can move the download default to another folder. I hope I am in the right forum group.

"LOCATION" is missing from all personal folders including Video, Music, Photo, Documents... d682c6f6-581c-47ad-9042-f1aba0037107?upload=true.jpg

:)

Jo Sakia, Apr 20, 2021

2. Windows Refresh removed thousands of personal files; how do I recover photos, documents, videos, and music?

Hello.

I helped a family member do a Windows Refresh, and thousands of her personal files have been removed. According to Microsoft, "you can refresh your PC without deleting any of your personal files or changing your settings." This was not the case for her.

I have searched online and have not been able to find an answer. Before going further, I'd like to address a couple things of which I am certain:

• I did a Refresh, not a Reset; and
    • I am not talking about program files from software - I know those are removed.

The family member had thousands of:

• personal pictures (e.g., camera photos, downloaded wallpapers);
    • documents (e.g., Word documents, PDF files);
    • videos (e.g., movies, self recordings); and
    • music (e.g., purchased mp3 files).

I think the issue is this: She stored all of those files in the Program Files folder. Examples include:

• her photos were stored in the IrfanView folder (IrfanView is an image viewer);
    • her documents were stored in multiple folders, such as PDFs in the Foxit PDF folder and Word documents in the Microsoft Office folder; and
    • her videos and music files were stored in the VLC folder (VLC is a media player).

Yes, I know she probably should have stored these in her Windows Libraries personal folders, such as Pictures, Documents, Videos, and Music. However, she explained that it made sense to her because those programs are what is used to open the specific files.

How can she fully recover those thousands of files? Thank you.

MicrosoftCommunityMember, Apr 20, 2021
  3. idgat Win User
    Location Tab Missing from Almost All Folders

I assume your referring to the Location tab in the Properties of user folders .... Documents, Desktop, Downloads, Pictures, etc

If the tab is missing, it would suggest you're not looking at/accessing the actual user system folder, but simply folders that have the same name(s).

Do the folder listing(s) in Windows/File Explorer have the user system icon, or are they just plain common everyday folder icons?

Try restoring the icons to their default location C:\Users\username\

Note : "Restoring" doesn't mean simply copy/move > paste. The registry has to be adjusted accordingly. This forum has steps to do just that ...
    Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

Looking at this part, and having second thooughts ...

Yo don't "create" user system folders, you have to re-locate them from the original system location (as indicated above).

But if you're referring to everyday-usage user-created personal folders ..... they don't have a Location tab.

idgat, Apr 20, 2021
  4. Steve C Win User

"LOCATION" is missing from all personal folders including Video, Music, Photo, Documents...

What exactly are are "My music", "My Pictures" and "My videos"

You can't redirect the shortcut links which is the subject of the post

Steve C, Apr 20, 2021
Thema:

1. "LOCATION" is missing from all personal folders including Video, Music, Photo, Documents... - Similar Threads - LOCATION missing personal

2. Windows 11 "location tab" is missing from Properties for Music, Pictures & Videos folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 "location tab" is missing from Properties for Music, Pictures & Videos folders: I have a new PC and I'm trying to change the location target for Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos, but the "Location" tab is missing for Music, Pictures and Videos.I've looked at the suggested Registry Fix, but as you can see, this is already in place. Any help in...
  3. Windows 11 "location tab" is missing from Properties for Music, Pictures & Videos folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 "location tab" is missing from Properties for Music, Pictures & Videos folders: I have a new PC and I'm trying to change the location target for Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos, but the "Location" tab is missing for Music, Pictures and Videos.I've looked at the suggested Registry Fix, but as you can see, this is already in place. Any help in...
  4. Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...: Below in the folders in Box 1 should show underBox 2 and 3. Can.t seem to have it working even after 3 resets. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standard-folders-from-file-explorerdownloads/6f9e379b-9b5f-4bf4-9f76-377f7fe143af
  5. Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...

Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...: Below in the folders in Box 1 should show underBox 2 and 3. Can.t seem to have it working even after 3 resets. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standard-folders-from-file-explorerdownloads/6f9e379b-9b5f-4bf4-9f76-377f7fe143af
  6. Location Tab Missing from Almost All Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Location Tab Missing from Almost All Folders: WinVer = 19041.508 With one exception (and that one's Location Tab doesn't work), none of my folders, including new ones I create myself, have Location tabs. I did a due-diligence search and was overjoyed when I came up with this: How to Add or Remove Location tab in Folder...
  7. Link to Music/Pics/Videos in Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Link to Music/Pics/Videos in Documents Folder: So I use a program called SyncBackPro to quickly backup my data from my computer to my external drive, it only mirrors the differences so the backup takes only a few seconds. The other day I noticed that it is copying files from my Documents folder and the progress bar...
  8. Missing almost all files in Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos after...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing almost all files in Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos after...: Hello fellow redditors. I have a weird problem with my PC and missing files, to the point where after hours of google searching for a working solution, I am posting here with hopes for a good solution. Today I de-dusted my longtime PC (8 years and still going strong!) and...
  9. Missing music from Windows 10 Video Editor Photo App

Missing music from Windows 10 Video Editor Photo App: There are a few locked discussions on missing music from the Windows 10 Video Editor, most of them give misleading information. I struggled to find out why the only music I had was Happy Beat and took ages to find a solution. After a lot of searching I found that you need...
  10. Missing Location Tab from all Personal folders properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Location Tab from all Personal folders properties: other tabs (Sharing - Security - Customize) were missing also but I can restore them by adding some registry keys but now I still don't have location tab I have tried this solution and it doesn't work Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10...