Windows 10: location is unavailable

Discus and support location is unavailable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi. so everytime after i get a BSOD, or i do an emergency restart, or the pc gets turned off immediately, it gets this error message after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ziad, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Ziad Win User

location is unavailable

hi.

so everytime after i get a BSOD, or i do an emergency restart, or the pc gets turned off immediately,

it gets this error message after booting:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is not accessable.

Access is denied."

i have no clue what actually made this happen.
    only to make this fixed i do a full shutdown and then the desktop works normally. but it still bugs me.

any ideas?

thanks.

:)

Ziad, Jul 7, 2017

2. Location is not available - E:\ is unavailable.

Hello,

We regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

• Did you make any changes to your computer? Like installing Windows Update or software?
    • What content do you have in that drive partition?
    If an app or update that you recently installed caused problems with your PC, you can restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal
    files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers.

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create
    a restore point manually
    . Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

• Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Note:

If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check, go to the
    Control Panel, search for Recovery, and then select Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.

Disclaimer: Though it is said that System Restore does not affect your personal information such as email, documents, photos, videos, etc., but there is highly possible that some of your personal
    files are deleted while system restoring. During System Restore, there may be errors and such errors may cause damage to the files that are present in the system. And, computer shutdown during restoring process may also lead to file loss. Sometimes when System
    Restore is failed, it may lead to loss of important files as well.

Keep posted how it went.

Thank you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 7, 2017
  3. ARADPLAUG Win User
    Location is not available - E:\ is unavailable.

To answer your questions:

• I made no changes to my computer over the night, which is why I'm confused. However, this morning (after I noticed something was amiss) I ran a Malwarebytes scan on my computer (there were no viruses).
    • In both partitions, I only had Steam games (and in D:\ I had the Steam application itself). F:\, which was unaffected, has similar contents (Steam games).

I tried to System Restore, but the only option was to when I installed DirectX, which was this morning (about 5 hours ago). This occurred after the problem first presented itself.

ARADPLAUG, Jul 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

location is unavailable

I think you need to start there. If you're repeatedly getting BSODs or your PC is hanging such that you have to power it off, you need to follow up the reports, and do some basic maintenance to check your disk, file system and system files.

I've had one BSOD since I put Win 10 on this PC over a year ago- many programs installed, used most days. That was due to one particular program, and the driver problem was rapidly corrected by the author.

dalchina, Jul 8, 2017
Thema:

location is unavailable

1. location is unavailable - Similar Threads - location unavailable

2. I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is unavailable.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is unavailable.: I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is not available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-access-to-some-of-my-desktop-folders-it/71028c90-78ab-4c9f-aa6c-a2fbf7253fd6
  3. I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is unavailable.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is unavailable.: I lost access to some of my desktop folders. It says the location is not available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-access-to-some-of-my-desktop-folders-it/71028c90-78ab-4c9f-aa6c-a2fbf7253fd6
  4. is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected...: is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you’re connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can’t be...
  5. is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected...: is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you’re connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can’t be...
  6. is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected...

7. The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...: I have tried everything to make my desktop reappear, it's missing in W10. I have executed the scan command, nothing happened. Tried to copy the desktop icon to the C:\windows\system32\config\ systemprofile, restarted the PC, still nothing appeared. Tried to change the...
  8. The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...

The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...: I have tried everything to make my desktop reappear, it's missing in W10. I have executed the scan command, nothing happened. Tried to copy the desktop icon to the C:\windows\system32\config\ systemprofile, restarted the PC, still nothing appeared. Tried to change the...
  9. The error is the following: "C:\Users\%Dell%\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is in...

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Help! My E:/ is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help! My E:/ is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device is...: Please help. My internal HDD E:\ is inaccessible.I have to restart several times to access it, and i already format it but nothing changes. Now, it's completely inaccessible. But sometimes when i can access it, a notification like this pop up:and voila, it disappear. My E:\...