Windows 10: Location not turning on

Discus and support Location not turning on in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Permission settings to allow location is grayed out. It was working all good before yesterday night. Now I can't grant permission to apps. To be honest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Liza88_e, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Liza88_e Win User

Location not turning on

Permission settings to allow location is grayed out. It was working all good before yesterday night. Now I can't grant permission to apps. To be honest I was changing some settings through reg edit after that all this startedNvidia GeForce GTX

:)

Liza88_e, Jun 29, 2020

2. Unable to turn on Location in Windows 10

Hello,

We regret the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

Before we proceed further, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue? Is it an abrupt issue?

• Do have any System Restore point set in Windows prior to the issue?

• Did you check if the same issue occurs when you log in to Windows using a different Local Administrator user account?

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to follow the steps to try and fix the issue:

Step 1:

Follow the steps to change the region:

a) Type “Region” on the Search and click on
    Change your country or region option from the search results.

b) Now choose the location from the drop down menu to change the region. (As per your location)

Move to the next step.

Step 2:

I would suggest you to turn On Windows location platform on the computer and check if it helps.

You can follow the steps:

a) Type

b) Click on
    Change Location settings

c) Check the box which states “Turn ON Windows location platform” and “Help improve Windows Location services”.

e) Click on Apply.

Proceed to the next step.

Step 3:

If you are trying to use location settings for an app, I would suggest you to turn ON the settings to allow apps to use the location on the computer.

Follow the steps:

a) Type
    l
    ocation on the Search.

b) Click on
    Location privacy settings

c) Move the slider towards the right to turn ON settings for ‘Let Windows apps use my location’.

Restart the computer once after making the changes.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to Location service in Windows, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Unable to turn on the Location from the Location Settings.

Hi Rafiul,

It is possible that the
    GPS chipset
    is not working properly causing your location settings to be
    disabled or cannot be turned on. Kindly run the
    Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting
      and hit
      Enter.

• Choose
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on the
      Hardware and Devices
      to run the
      Troubleshooter.

If the issue
    persists, we suggest that you contact your
    computer/laptop's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Location not turning on

Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Location not turning on

1. Location not turning on - Similar Threads - Location turning

2. Can you track a stolen laptop with location turned off in sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you track a stolen laptop with location turned off in sleep mode?: My laptop got stolen. Location is turned off. But it's in sleep mode. Can I track it in any way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-track-a-stolen-laptop-with-location-turned/7a63d5c0-4c0e-4ada-98d3-fec286407b8d
  3. Can you track a stolen laptop with location turned off in sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you track a stolen laptop with location turned off in sleep mode?: My laptop got stolen. Location is turned off. But it's in sleep mode. Can I track it in any way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-track-a-stolen-laptop-with-location-turned/7a63d5c0-4c0e-4ada-98d3-fec286407b8d
  4. Is there a way to track my laptop with the location turn off? But it's in sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to track my laptop with the location turn off? But it's in sleep mode.: My laptop got stolen. My location on my laptop is turned off and it is in sleep mode. Is there a way to track it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-track-my-laptop-with-the/649abc85-d182-4dc5-928c-bb849da22a82
  5. Is there a way to track my laptop with the location turn off? But it's in sleep mode.

Is there a way to track my laptop with the location turn off? But it's in sleep mode.: My laptop got stolen. My location on my laptop is turned off and it is in sleep mode. Is there a way to track it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-track-my-laptop-with-the/649abc85-d182-4dc5-928c-bb849da22a82
  6. I can't turn on location services.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't turn on location services.: I'm not controlled by any organization but it shows up and won't let me turn it on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-turn-on-location-services/d3816d26-aa8a-46c3-b26f-6c080a47e47e
  7. I can't turn on location services.

I can't turn on location services.: I'm not controlled by any organization but it shows up and won't let me turn it on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-turn-on-location-services/d3816d26-aa8a-46c3-b26f-6c080a47e47e
  8. Find My Device setting is turned on, but the location is disabled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find My Device setting is turned on, but the location is disabled.: My privacy setting shows that my "Find My Device" is on, but when I checked it on the browser, it's showing me that the location is disabled which is very weird because, I remember checking my device's location a few months back and I was able to track it, and now all of a...
  9. Find My Device setting is turned on, but the location is disabled.

Find My Device setting is turned on, but the location is disabled.: My privacy setting shows that my "Find My Device" is on, but when I checked it on the browser, it's showing me that the location is disabled which is very weird because, I remember checking my device's location a few months back and I was able to track it, and now all of a...
  10. Hi my laptop was stolen in the airport, I did not turn on the locate my laptop service, but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi my laptop was stolen in the airport, I did not turn on the locate my laptop service, but...: As I described in the title* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-my-laptop-was-stolen-in-the-airport-i-did-not/f10dbc2c-177e-4a23-ad99-ce1c1e70d073