Windows 10: Location not working- Cortana not available

Discus and support Location not working- Cortana not available in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, discovered I can't turn on 'Location'. 1. I can click the 'Change' button in Privacy, Location, but nothing happens. ('Location is off' is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dalchina, Sep 5, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Location not working- Cortana not available

Hi, discovered I can't turn on 'Location'.
    1. I can click the 'Change' button in Privacy, Location, but nothing happens. ('Location is off' is displayed)
    2. 'Location' is greyed out in the Action Centre
    3. The Network Location Service is running
    (I've tried stopping, starting it, restarting the PC).

then I discovered
    4. Cortana does not appear in Toolbars (rt click taskbar)
    5. The response to clicking Cortana in the start menu is to go to Store, Downloads and updates.
    (Cortana was working a while back- I thin I turned it off at some point)

I have changed some things in Privacy, and tried to undo those.
    Everything else seems fine.

I'm guessing I've turned sthg off or changed an option somewhere.
    Ideas? Thanks!

:)

dalchina, Sep 5, 2015

2. Windows Phone 8 Teaks and features

I think WP 8 OS programmers should learn and peak at what Nokia's programmers did or do with their MeeGo, Symbian. Take for instance App Folder app compared to the Nokia N9 counterpart.

Microsoft should allow more freedom for Nokia developers with the OS to tweak things up a little better from UX/UI point. Otherwise they are heading straight for the edge of the cliff and into Canyon Microsoft.

username not available, Sep 5, 2015
  3. Windows 8 Phone: Most Disappointing OS Ever

Ok, I got it, legal wise this is a correct statement. Dut that does not stop both teams getting aligned and develop as a single unit.

username not available, Sep 5, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Solution found here - after a LOT of searching.. thanks!
    Solved Re-installing Cortana - Windows 10 Forums

I have no idea how the Geolocation service became disabled. But the registry hack works, and Location is active again in the Action Centre, and Cortana is back.

dalchina, Sep 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Location not working- Cortana not available - Similar Threads - Location working Cortana

2. Location not available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Location not available: I recently installed windows 10 via boot pendrive. Everything is normal and then suddenly when I tried to close Android studio All files and software which I installed are gone. I execute explore.exe and got file explorer but download shows location not available. Finally I...
  3. Location not available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location not available: I recently installed windows 10 via boot pendrive. Everything is normal and then suddenly when I tried to close Android studio All files and software which I installed are gone. I execute explore.exe and got file explorer but download shows location not available. Finally I...
  4. Location not available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Location is Not Available

Location is Not Available: I have office 365 ProPlus on my Windows 10 desktop. I downloaded Apple iCloud a while back. I uinstalled it and and its gone. However, I have 4 folders in my window tree inside of my windows explorer has 4 folders called iCloud Photos. When I click on them it says...
  6. Location is not available

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Location is not available: Hi i am getting a c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable etc etc etc what do i do. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-is-not-available/06728869-1940-46a5-8877-4932471fd192
  7. Location is not available

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Location is not available: Hi, I have a Surface Book 2 which upon power on come up with "Preparing Windows" as if's used for the first time (which is not the case as it has been working for months with no issues). Once it get to the "desktop", the error...
  8. Location is not available

Location is not available: Please help, I can't access my external hard drive, it says G:\ is not accessible. The file directory is corrupted and unreadable. Pls. Help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-is-not-available/3f78e080-c75c-455a-b63f-3821ff20743d"
  9. Cortana's Location

in Cortana
    Cortana's Location: I live in NE PA and Cortana gives me weather and movies for places in MD. How is that useful for me. A user should opt for inserting a current Zip code or location for this information otherwise you have written a useless software for a user!!...
  10. "Location not available"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Location not available": Hello! I came accross this issue after my computer had updated and restarted: "Location is not available C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make...