Windows 10: Location of Default Apps?

Discus and support Location of Default Apps? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When selecting my Default Apps for Windows 10, I would like to know WHERE the Default App is located (as in, the path to the *.exe for the Default App... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by [Poke], Apr 28, 2019.

1. [Poke] Win User

Location of Default Apps?

When selecting my Default Apps for Windows 10, I would like to know WHERE the Default App is located (as in, the path to the *.exe for the Default App - on which hard drive).

This is due to various reasons, but the most recent example is this:

I want to make Google Chrome my default Web Browser. I have 2 instances of Google Chrome on my PC.

Instance-1: Installed via Chrome installer (downloaded from https://www.google.com/chrome/).

Instance-2: Not "installed", but is on my system as a "portable app". (MUO's definition: "Portable apps don’t need to be installed. You only need to download, unzip, and run the program to get started. That means you can throw a portable app on a flash drive and run your apps from any Windows computer." (https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-portable-apps/)

So, when attempting to set Google Chrome as my default Browser, Windows 10 shows 2 options for "Google Chrome".

How do I know which of my 2 instances I am selecting??

:)

[Poke], Apr 28, 2019
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Location of Default Apps? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Apr 28, 2019
  3. my location on maps app is wrong.

Hi Don,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Location privacy settings in search bar
      and click on Location privacy settings.
    • Here you can enable/disable the Location.
    • You may try to Enable/Disable the Maps app to use the

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, Apr 28, 2019
  4. Location of Default Apps?

Windows 10 mail app: Location defaults to the Map app

Hi Brent,

Have you tried changing the default map app from the Default Programs?

Follow the steps below to disable Windows Maps.

• Click the Start button.
    • Type Default Programs then press Enter.
    • Go to Maps, change the default map app to the one you like.
    Please update us with the results.

Devlin Sco, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

Location of Default Apps?

1. Location of Default Apps? - Similar Threads - Location Default Apps

2. Cant change default app location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant change default app location: I Recently installed windows on my new SSD, and i am trying to change my default install location to my D drive, but it keeps giving me error code 0x80070005. I've followed a rabbit hole of fixes and tutorials on user permission changes, sharing setting and command prompt...
  3. Cant change default app location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant change default app location: I Recently installed windows on my new SSD, and i am trying to change my default install location to my D drive, but it keeps giving me error code 0x80070005. I've followed a rabbit hole of fixes and tutorials on user permission changes, sharing setting and command prompt...
  4. Cant change default app location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. default app location

in Windows 10 Customization
    default app location: I was trying to change the location where new apps are installed by default, from my ssd to my hard drive. However, when i try to change it to the new location, my computer asks me the following "Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive,...
  6. Changing default app location.

Changing default app location.: I have Game Pass and want to install a few games, however, when I choose to change the default app location in Windows it mentions it will have to remove existing apps on the other drive. C: Is my OS Drive and has all my game modifications on it, D: However is for Steam and...
  7. Changing default app location.

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default app location.: I have Game Pass and want to install a few games, however, when I choose to change the default app location in Windows it mentions it will have to remove existing apps on the other drive. C: Is my OS Drive and has all my game modifications on it, D: However is for Steam and...
  8. Windows Default App install location

Windows Default App install location: I cannot figure out why it will not let me change the default location where new apps are stored. Formatting is not an option because I have about 600gb of games on that drive already. I've tried to rename the file, I've deleted the file, I've even gone through the registry...
  9. Can't change default apps location

Can't change default apps location: Trying to download games from xbox game pass, horrendously designed and it needs me to change my default apps saving point for some reason cause you're still living in 2003, won't let me do that just keep getting these errors [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  10. Changing default save location for apps

Changing default save location for apps: Problem: Changing default drive for new content. Attempting to change from C to D drives primary to secondary drives First message: Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device, to use this drive delete them. Click yes, Error code 0x80070005 comes up. I have...