Windows 10: Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them...

Discus and support Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm not fully sure how this happened, but the last time I turned on my PC, the Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders had suddenly moved to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Koobrick, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Koobrick Win User

Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them...

I'm not fully sure how this happened, but the last time I turned on my PC, the Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders had suddenly moved to my OneDrive. I was able to move the Desktop folder back to my PC by clicking on Properties and reverting its location to default. But unfortunately, these same steps didn't work for the other two folders.

Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them... 524036c1-3a67-41a4-81c0-1bcce3822dd7?upload=true.jpg

I've attached some screenshots here to show what exactly happens when I try to do that. So I first right click on Documents, then select Properties and then go to the Location tab in the dialog box. I click on "Restore Default" and the Folder path changes from "C:\Users\My Username\OneDrive\Documents" to "C:\Users\My Username\Documents". On clicking OK, the following dialog box appears.

Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them... 6ed53a01-d3c4-430d-8299-05f1cb9f63dd?upload=true.jpg

Then I click on Yes.

Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them... 3e068326-a0fd-4967-9149-03aabebeaabd?upload=true.jpg

Yes again and I receive the following error message.

Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them... 4448f207-23a6-4452-8405-d205fdff5548?upload=true.jpg

However, as can be seen below, there is no folder in the same location with the same name no hidden folders either. Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them... 7d557ec7-0b46-4480-a8f5-538751ed2858?upload=true.jpg

The files in the Documents and Pictures folders are otherwise getting synced to OneDrive, where I don't need them at all.

:)

Koobrick, Nov 23, 2020
  2. wallace99 Win User

Problem with location of Pictures library after making pictures available on OneDrive

Thanks Rhina

I did what you suggested but it ended up making OneDrive the Pictures library. This may have something to do with the way i originally moved the Pictures folders to OneDrive. I probably should explain:

Because there already was a (fairly empty) Pictures folder under OneDrive (automatically set up I think when transferring a few Ipad photos to PC via OneDrive) I had moved the top level Pictures folders into D/users/myname/OneDrive rather than moving
    the Pictures folder itself. This was probably a bit stupid but I subsequently moved the top level Pictures folders into that pre-existing Pictures folder on OneDrive and that's how we got to where we are today.

To continue after that diversion. Following the restore you suggested, the pictures folder under Libraries was still wrong but it looked a lot better ie it was no longer offering me a choice of locations for Pictures folders and, instead was just showing
    me all the top level folders for what it (wrongly) thought was the Pictures folder. But it was still not appearing directly under This PC.

My next step was to go into Properties option for Libraries/Pictures. Here I simply added the correct location D/users/myname/OneDrive/pictures and deleted the location D/users/myname/OneDrive which at that time was the current location.

So, on the Positive side:

• Libraries/Pictures now shows what I would expect ie my top level Pictures folders

But, on the negative side:

• Pictures still does not appear under This PC, unlike Documents, Videos, Music etc
    • in the Photos app, if I go to Folders option, it shows the folder as OneDrive, not OneDrive/Pictures even though, if i go into "choose where to look" it is correctly showing OneDrive/Pictures as the location. Obviously i can still get to the photos I need
      but it's an extra unnecessary step
    That's where i am currently.

wallace99, Nov 23, 2020
  3. Location on Documents folder and Pictures folder has been changed to OneDrive

Instead of unlinking and uninstalling OneDrive, you probably should just change its auto save behavior.

Use the OneDrive app settings to change where your files are saved by default.

In the Notifications area at the bottom of your Windows screen, right-click the OneDrive icon and click Settings. You might have to click Show hidden icons to find OneDrive.

In the Settings box, on the Auto save tab, under Documents and Pictures, click the list at Documents or Pictures and pick the default save location you want.

This PC only - When you create a file, the Documents or Pictures folder under This PC is the first-choice location offered to save it. The file is not saved to OneDrive unless you do so separately, and it is available only on the PC you used to save it.

OneDrive - When you create a file, the first location offered is within the Documents or Pictures folder under OneDrive. Because these folders sync to your PC, files you save there are available on your PC, even when it's not connected to the Internet. And
    you can use any device with an Internet connection to access your files.

Note: No matter which default setting you choose, you still can select the save location you want each time you save a file. When you click Save for new files or Save As for existing files, click OneDrive or This PC and then pick a folder to save your file
    to.

Find and move your files

The Documents and Pictures folders exist in both This PC and OneDrive, which might make them easy to mix up. If you've mistakenly saved a file - for example, you save a file to the Documents folder in your PC instead of the Documents folder in OneDrive, use
    File Explorer or the OneDrive app to drag the files where you want them.

From the Start menu, click the OneDrive tile to open the OneDrive app built into File Explorer.

In the file list on the right, browse to find the file you want to move, and drag it to the correct folder in the folder list on the left.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 23, 2020
  4. aIex Win User

Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them...

Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations

1. copy Documents folder somewhere else
    2. unlink my OneDrive account
    3. log in again
    4. select different OneDrive folder
    5. don't sync anythin (untick all)
    6. restore default location
    7. copy previously copied Documents to default location (it was empty for me, when I did it)
    8. unlink OneDrive
    9. log in and select previous location
    10. (optional) go to OneDrive settings, 2nd tab (automatic saving or something), select that you want your documents to be saved on OneDrive instead of your computer.

Thema:

1. Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them... - Similar Threads - Location Documents Pictures

2. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  3. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  4. Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive: Hello,I've been trying to move my documents folder out of my OneDrive I am on my laptop, and I accidentally let it sync everything in my documents folder on my laptop and desktop. I turned off all the backups in the OneDrive app, made sure everything required in the registry...
  5. Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive

Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive: Hello,I've been trying to move my documents folder out of my OneDrive I am on my laptop, and I accidentally let it sync everything in my documents folder on my laptop and desktop. I turned off all the backups in the OneDrive app, made sure everything required in the registry...
  6. Documents and Pictures location is in OneDrive folder and i cant restore them to default...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents and Pictures location is in OneDrive folder and i cant restore them to default...: I set up OneDrive because i thought it would be useful, discovered that it only has 5gb of Free Space, all of my folders and files in documents and pictures have a small icon beside them and the thumbnails arent loading, its annoying and i dont like it so i unlink OneDrive...
  7. Documents and Pictures location is in OneDrive folder and i cant restore them to default...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents and Pictures location is in OneDrive folder and i cant restore them to default...: I set up OneDrive because i thought it would be useful, discovered that it only has 5gb of Free Space, all of my folders and files in documents and pictures have a small icon beside them and the thumbnails arent loading, its annoying and i dont like it so i unlink OneDrive...
  8. Documents and Pictures location is in OneDrive folder and i cant restore them to default...

9. Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder: Hi. I have a new laptop which I am just setting up to my liking and I didn't want OneDrive. This may have been a mistake but I have cleaned out all the files from the cloud and uninstalled OneDrive from my computer. I have been left with a OneDrive folder in my users/name...
  10. Cannot move Documents folder to new location

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move Documents folder to new location: Short version: I'm getting an error message when I attempt to move my Documents folder to a new location (same volume):The folder can't be moved here...The filename or extension is too long (see attachment). Longer version: I want to move my Documents, Videos, and Pictures...