Windows 10: Location of File History Index Files on C:

Discus and support Location of File History Index Files on C: in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings all, I'm on a Windows 10 Professional machine, build 1731. My file history is on D:, but the index files are on C:. Restoring C: from an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Michael_Hamburg, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Location of File History Index Files on C:

Greetings all,

I'm on a Windows 10 Professional machine, build 1731. My file history is on D:, but the index files are on C:. Restoring C: from an image overwrites them. Can anyone remind me as their location? I found it once but carelessly lost my notes. My goal is to start backing them up separately.

Thank you in advance,
    Mike

:)

Michael_Hamburg, Jan 14, 2019

2. Windows 10 File History, Long File Names, and Indexing

I posted this on Technet Forums, as suggested.

The post can be found here:

Windows 10 File History, Long File Names, and Indexing

Only one response so far, which wasn't able to confirm my assumption that File History uses indexing to decide which files need backing up.

MikeHMoore, Jan 14, 2019
  3. How to delete files from file history .

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

Let’s try with the below steps and check if he issue resolves

• Enter File History settings in the search box, and then tap or click File History settings.
    • Tap or click Select a drive, and choose the network or external drive you want to use.
    • Turn on File History.
    You go to the location where file history is saved and delete the file if you want to do so.

Note: check the locations included for file history and check if there is third party back up in any of these locations. Removing file history completely won't affect your system image that you have already created.

I would also suggest you to check with the below link and check if it helps you.

Backup your Files: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-back-up-your-files

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further

Sachin V Rao, Jan 14, 2019
  4. Location of File History Index Files on C:

Windows 10 File History - Non C:\ drive folders

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate the screenshot provided.

I suggest you to reselect your file history drive and check.

• Enter File History in the start search box, and then tap or click
      File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.
    For reference, you can follow the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Hope this information is helpful.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jan 14, 2019
Thema:

Location of File History Index Files on C:

1. Location of File History Index Files on C: - Similar Threads - Location File History

2. 'Indexed Locations' missing folders present on the C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'Indexed Locations' missing folders present on the C drive: I have lots of files saved in a Box folder and in a OneDrive folder saved on the C drive, under 'Users' and my name.These folders do NOT appear in the Indexed Locations, and, once indexing is complete, files and their content are not showing up in searches.It seems that the...
  3. File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations: I have many similar files created from templates. They are in an indexed location. When I search in File Explorer they ALL appear in the search results due to their content. Sometimes I want to search through just the file names, not the content, in an indexed location....
  4. How to locate download history on disk C

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to locate download history on disk C: I just extracted an app here on my PC and after extracting it, my disk C suddenly lost 5 gb even though I made sure to put the files into disk D. Is there any way to locate the files downloaded to the disk by history? To avoid confusion, all of these was done offline....
  5. File history in Windows 10 on C drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    File history in Windows 10 on C drive: As we know that we need to hook up an external drive to use file history, but I am wondering if we can configure file history on the same hard drive or different partition on the same physical drive....
  6. Location of Klondike stats/history file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location of Klondike stats/history file: I just purchased a new PC (Win10) and migrated programs from the old PC. For some reason, the stats and history are showing incorrectly - I checked the AppData\Local\Microsoft Games\Solitaire folder and see that the settings and prefs files are dated November 2015. I then...
  7. File Search Indexing

File Search Indexing: Hello community, my files from a network mapped drive are not indexed. when i search a file from Windows Search, it does not find the file yet the is there on my network mapped drive. The workstation is running windows 10, my network folder is shared locally from Windows 10...
  8. History of the location of transferred or saved file

History of the location of transferred or saved file: How or where can I find the logs or history of the location of the files. What I want is something like this: Copied From: C:\Users\lj\Desktop\letter.doc To: D:\Files\letter.doc Not necessary that it would look like that, as long as it shows a history or show the...
  9. File history forgets locations, duplicates files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history forgets locations, duplicates files: I've now experienced on multiple occasions that Windows 10 File History will, always on major updates but also randomly in-between, forget backed up folders (say for example, "D:\Lightroom\Photos"). That's of course completely inacceptable in itself because that means the...
  10. Indexed Locations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Indexed Locations: Does anybody knows why this "csc://...." thing is in my indexed locations? I cant't get rid of it and everytime i uncheck it it comes again checked. Also when i scroll the mouse over it, it tells me that the location is not available. Help [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 file history cannot start error 0x80700005