Windows 10: Location of MFT and MFT Zone

Discus and support Location of MFT and MFT Zone in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I am using an HP Laptop running Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1909 recently updated.. I use Raxco Perfect Disc 14 Professional to defrag my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EGA1938, Feb 29, 2020.

1. EGA1938 Win User

Location of MFT and MFT Zone

Hi

I am using an HP Laptop running Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1909 recently updated..

I use Raxco Perfect Disc 14 Professional to defrag my hard disc drive and note that recently the visual display of the Hard Drive Blocks which it provides show that the MFT Blocks are no longer adjoined by the MFT Zone.

Should it be the case that the MFT Blocks should precede the MFT Zone which I assume is free space for MFT to expand without fragmentation.

Do I have a problem with my Windows 10.

Eric

:)

EGA1938, Feb 29, 2020
  2. Namslas90 Win User

MFT, page file location on hard disk (physical)

MFT files contain internal information (data) about the "real" data stored on the volume.

The are normaly located at the Beginning of the "partition".

Also;

Resident Attributes: Attributes that require a small amount of storage space are stored within the file's primary MFT record itself.

Non-Resident Attributes: If an attribute requires more space than is available within the MFT, is not stored in that record, the attribute is placed in a separate location, with a pointer within the MFT that leads to the location of the attribute.

So a NRA MRT file could be located wherever it fits on the HDD.

Namslas90, Feb 29, 2020
  3. Master file table (MFT) usage at 100%

No need to worry, system tries to keep a free space just after MFT - so called MFT zone - to keep MFT non-fragmented if there will be needed to increase it size. In addition, small MFT fragmentation does not have noticeable negative effect.

Igor Leyko, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Location of MFT and MFT Zone

Master file table (MFT) usage at 100%

Hi,

MFT zone has nothing related with MFT size.

Please, describe your problem with more details.

Igor Leyko, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Location of MFT and MFT Zone

1. Location of MFT and MFT Zone - Similar Threads - Location MFT MFT

2. How to remove entries of deleted files in the MFT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to remove entries of deleted files in the MFT: Dear Community, I have the following Problem: Last month I tried to recover deleted files on my drive C:.. I have the Notebook since several years and never set up the System new. The undelete program searched a very long time and found the entries of nearly 600.000 deleted...
  3. Time zones

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time zones: My PC keeps changing its time zone to california time no matter what I do. Every time I turn my PC off it switches from my timezone (Central) to california. If I set the time manually it resets to california on the next restart. Is there any way I can fix this?...
  4. Bitmap error in MFT, when External hard drives switched from computer A to B

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitmap error in MFT, when External hard drives switched from computer A to B: Hello Tech-Angels, I have two computers (A and B) running Windows 10. I create a new txt-file with the text "I am computer A" on an external hard drive connecting (USB 2.0) with computer A. I shutdown computer A. I take the external hard drive to computer B and...
  5. External hard drives have always bitmap error in mft after switch hard drive from computer...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drives have always bitmap error in mft after switch hard drive from computer...: Hello Tech-Angels, I have two computers (A and B) running Windows 10. I create a new txt-file with the text "I am computer A" on an external hard drive connecting (USB 2.0) with computer A. I shutdown computer A. I take the external hard drive to computer B and...
  6. The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.: CHKDSK C: reports the following: The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows has checked the file system and found problems. Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair. After running...
  7. Time Zone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time Zone: My computer is saying I am in Dublin for the time zone, however I am not. My time zone won't change to Eastern Standard. How do I fix this? It is saying I need to contact my computer administrator....
  8. Factory MFT on a brand new HP Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Factory MFT on a brand new HP Windows 10?: I am preparing a brand new HP 15-f272wm laptop bought today from Walmart (Windows 10) and before I install another OS I thought I would make a backup image of the entire hard drive using Macrium Reflect 6.1 build 1225 (most recent). This computer was turned on only once,...
  9. Delete Windows 10 $MFT copy created on fast mode shutdown/sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows 10 $MFT copy created on fast mode shutdown/sleep mode?: Problem: NTFS external hdd partition mounted in windows 7 desktop: ok same partition mounted in windows 10 laptop: ok windows 10 laptop went into sleep mode I think i removed the usb drive without usb safe removal (either before/after wakeup) not sure if windows 7...
  10. Time Zones

in Windows 10 Support
    Time Zones: In my Windows 10 only the local time zone is available. Please help. 27214