Windows 10: Location of MFT and MFT Zone

Discus and support Location of MFT and MFT Zone in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I am using an HP Laptop running Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1909 recently updated.. I use Raxco Perfect Disc 14 Professional to defrag my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EGA1938, Feb 29, 2020.

1. EGA1938 Win User

Location of MFT and MFT Zone

Hi

I am using an HP Laptop running Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1909 recently updated..

I use Raxco Perfect Disc 14 Professional to defrag my hard disc drive and note that recently the visual display of the Hard Drive Blocks which it provides show that the MFT Blocks are no longer adjoined by the MFT Zone.

Should it be the case that the MFT Blocks should precede the MFT Zone which I assume is free space for MFT to expand without fragmentation.

Do I have a problem with my Windows 10.

Eric

:)

EGA1938, Feb 29, 2020
  2. Namslas90 Win User

MFT, page file location on hard disk (physical)

MFT files contain internal information (data) about the "real" data stored on the volume.

The are normaly located at the Beginning of the "partition".

Also;

Resident Attributes: Attributes that require a small amount of storage space are stored within the file's primary MFT record itself.

Non-Resident Attributes: If an attribute requires more space than is available within the MFT, is not stored in that record, the attribute is placed in a separate location, with a pointer within the MFT that leads to the location of the attribute.

So a NRA MRT file could be located wherever it fits on the HDD.

Namslas90, Feb 29, 2020
  3. Master file table (MFT) usage at 100%

No need to worry, system tries to keep a free space just after MFT - so called MFT zone - to keep MFT non-fragmented if there will be needed to increase it size. In addition, small MFT fragmentation does not have noticeable negative effect.

Igor Leyko, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Location of MFT and MFT Zone

Master file table (MFT) usage at 100%

Hi,

MFT zone has nothing related with MFT size.

Please, describe your problem with more details.

Igor Leyko, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Location of MFT and MFT Zone

1. Location of MFT and MFT Zone - Similar Threads - Location MFT MFT

2. Repairing windows mft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repairing windows mft: I am running a dual boot of Windows 11 and Ubuntu 22.04. I needed more space in my Ubuntu partition, so using windows disk tools I tried to shrink my windows partition. I couldn't shrink it any further due to the NTFS NFT being installed halfway along the drive and being...
  3. Repairing windows mft

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repairing windows mft: I am running a dual boot of Windows 11 and Ubuntu 22.04. I needed more space in my Ubuntu partition, so using windows disk tools I tried to shrink my windows partition. I couldn't shrink it any further due to the NTFS NFT being installed halfway along the drive and being...
  4. SSD's destroyed by $LogFile & $Mft. How to prevent this.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD's destroyed by $LogFile & $Mft. How to prevent this.: Hello,I asked the same question HERE. But I want to reformat and rewrite it to be more windows specific.Setup:I am running an application called Elasticsearch on 3 Windows machines with 1x 2TB SSD in each machine. This SSD is only dedicated to this one application, nothing...
  5. System Image Failing- Corrupt MFT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image Failing- Corrupt MFT: When trying the backup and restore system image backup I get the error “the backup failed” due to a device error, suggesting to run check disk. Error code 0x8007045D. Ran check disk and no issues. Bought a new external to backup to, and same issue.Then tried with Macrium...
  6. System Image Failing- Corrupt MFT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image Failing- Corrupt MFT: When trying the backup and restore system image backup I get the error “the backup failed” due to a device error, suggesting to run check disk. Error code 0x8007045D. Ran check disk and no issues. Bought a new external to backup to, and same issue.Then tried with Macrium...
  7. How to resize $MFT

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to resize $MFT: Hi to all, Hi, I am trying the latest version of windows 10 on my laptop and I am doing some cleaning to load the system faster, I would also like to resize the $ MFT. How can I do? 175106
  8. MFT Corrupt.

MFT Corrupt.: Twice in the last month or so I've noticed my Macrium images have been failing due to MFT Corrupt error. Does anyone have any idea why the MFT would be corrupting? [img] 174934
  9. Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed

Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed: Hello. Is there any relation to access speed and $MFT size? I am wondering because when you have one big partition only (C drive) the $MFT can grow pretty huge. I have seen $MFT sizes ranging from 600 to 1000MB in size. Is the $MFT loaded all the time in memory? Does its...
  10. How to remove entries of deleted files in the MFT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to remove entries of deleted files in the MFT: Dear Community, I have the following Problem: Last month I tried to recover deleted files on my drive C:.. I have the Notebook since several years and never set up the System new. The undelete program searched a very long time and found the entries of nearly 600.000 deleted...