Windows 10: Location of MpCmdRun.log

Discus and support Location of MpCmdRun.log in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This logfile used to be located in Windows/Temp but that changed after some cumulative update to 1909. I'm using a third party AV but since Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by i486, Oct 1, 2020.

1. i486 Win User

Location of MpCmdRun.log

This logfile used to be located in Windows/Temp but that changed after some cumulative update to 1909. I'm using a third party AV but since Windows Defender's service still runs despite of that it used to create daily entries in that logfile, resulting in it's growing over time. The file could be deleted safely since the service recreates it when it runs the next time.

Searching the whole C:/Windows folder yields no results even if hidden folders are shown. It's no longer present or does it go by a different name now?

:)

i486, Oct 1, 2020

2. MpCmdRun killing my internet connection after installing creators update

Hi Brian,

The MpCmdRun.exe is associated with the Windows Defender program and is located in
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender. There are malicious programs that uses the same name so you won't suspect that it is malware. To check if this process is a malicious program, you can follow these steps:

• Right-click Start and select Task Manager.
    • Under the Process tab, locate the MpCmdRun.
    • Right-click MpCmdRun and select Open file location.

If the location is C:\Program Files\Windows Defender, then the system is safe and secure. If the location is elsewhere then we suggest that you run a virus and malware scan on your computer.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kristoffer Abs, Oct 1, 2020
  3. Fedup10 Win User
    MpCmdRun runs permanently with massive log files

Fragmentation check shows I have huge log files (and log.bak) at
    C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp

They show a log entry at least twice per second EVERY second as follows
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MpCmdRun: Command Line: "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\mpcmdrun.exe" -wdenable
    Start Time: ‎Thu ‎Jan ‎21 ‎2016 10:00:59

WDEnable
    ERROR: WDEnable(TRUE) failed (8007139F)
    MpCmdRun: End Time: ‎Thu ‎Jan ‎21 ‎2016 10:00:59
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is what trying to do, and why doesn't it learn and stop?
    How can I get rid of the problem?
    Thanks

[ windows 10 Pro 1511 10586.63 ]

Fedup10, Oct 1, 2020
  4. Fedup10 Win User

Location of MpCmdRun.log

MpCmdRun runs permanently with massive log files

Thanks Z - that's a good comprehensive link.
    I'd already got as far as AV being a likely cause.
    Having changed the way my AV is set up, I now have mPcmdrun log which tries at startup for about 4 minutes and then goes quiet.
    I'm happy enough with that.
    Anyone finding this thread should check Z's link above.
    Salve!

Fedup10, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

Location of MpCmdRun.log

1. Location of MpCmdRun.log - Similar Threads - Location MpCmdRun log

2. Full scans using \Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full scans using \Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun: When running a full file scan using \Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun, which Platform package is used? Does it automatically select the latest version of the package?If I use the more complicated arrangement of\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform I'm...
  3. Full scans using \Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Full scans using \Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun: When running a full file scan using \Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun, which Platform package is used? Does it automatically select the latest version of the package?If I use the more complicated arrangement of\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform I'm...
  4. MpCmdRun file "SpyNetService -RestrictPrivileges -AccessKey..........

MpCmdRun file "SpyNetService -RestrictPrivileges -AccessKey..........: Hi, [am using windows 8.1] my laptop used to be continuously unable to update Defender after using the system restore [used restore to an earlier time to be able to update defender,as this proiblem occurs regardless] and then updating Defender,if i try again on another day i...
  5. Windows 10 not booting - install log location?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 not booting - install log location?: My Windows 10 laptop suddenly stopped booting, following my iphone. It booted up normally at first, with all the autostart(mostly win32) apps launched working ok, however Forza Horizon (a modern app) wouldn’t start (splash screen and crash to desktop). I restarted, and wasn’t...
  6. adobe virus file location log updated

adobe virus file location log updated: C:\windows\system32\catroot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384 C:\Windows\System32\catroot2\dberr.txt C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames\9f3925df7991d401439c000040079008.atmfd.dll...
  7. Adobe Virus Log file location

Adobe Virus Log file location: C:\windows\system32\catroot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384 C:\Windows\System32\catroot2\dberr.txt C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames\9f3925df7991d401439c000040079008.atmfd.dll...
  8. No log file locations in Event Viewer

in Windows 10 Customization
    No log file locations in Event Viewer: I opened Win 10's Event Viewer (first as myself, second as Administrator) and tried to create a Custom View. I chose reporting By Log, but when I clicked on the drop-down menu for log locations, none were listed. What gives?...
  9. MpCmdRun runs permanently with massive log files

in Windows 10 Support
    MpCmdRun runs permanently with massive log files: Fragmentation check shows I have huge log files (and log.bak) at C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp They show a log entry at least twice per second EVERY second as follows...
  10. Log of who's querying location?

in Windows 10 Support
    Log of who's querying location?: Anyone know where to find the log of who's querying, how often etc? 61486