Windows 10: Location of my documents

Discus and support Location of my documents in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just purchased a new HP Paviliona laptop with a 128 G SSD Drive C and a 1TB HD Drive D. It appears the default location for "My Documents" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LouisMiltenberger, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Location of my documents

I just purchased a new HP Paviliona laptop with a 128 G SSD Drive C and a 1TB HD Drive D. It appears the default location for "My Documents" and "Outlook Folders" is on the C drive. SInce it is the smaller drive, I would rather put "My Documents" on the larger D drive. I can do that manually but how can i do it such that the computer automatically defaults to "My Documents" being on the D Drive. I have 200G of files that I want to upload from prior computer to "My documents" on the new computer

Thanks

for any insight and help

:)

LouisMiltenberger, Nov 22, 2020

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Documents Destination

The next troubleshooting step we suggest is to restore the default location of the folders. To do this, follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start button.

• Choose File Explorer.

• Type shell:UsersFilesFolder in the address bar.

Location of my documents d9ffeca6-0604-494d-9388-070cdb9a5eeb.png

• Right-click the Documents folder.

• Click the Location tab.

• Click Restore Default.

• Click OK.

Follow the same steps to restore the default location for your Pictures folder.

Give these steps a shot and check if the folders are unlinked from OneDrive.

Yolvi Ell, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Location of my documents

Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Location of my documents

1. Location of my documents - Similar Threads - Location documents

2. HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location: Hi all,I have recently moved the location of my desktop, and pictures location from the original to d:Unfortunately, upon moving, I did not create a new photo called d:/desktop, d:/pictures etc, but I merely moved it to the root of D:Now, all my desktop files and picture...
  3. HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location: Hi all,I have recently moved the location of my desktop, and pictures location from the original to d:Unfortunately, upon moving, I did not create a new photo called d:/desktop, d:/pictures etc, but I merely moved it to the root of D:Now, all my desktop files and picture...
  4. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  5. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  6. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?: How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?I am unable to change the location for the Documents folder under This PC. It is the only folder in which the Properties menu does not give me the Location tab. Currently it is only allowing me to connect it...
  7. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?: How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?I am unable to change the location for the Documents folder under This PC. It is the only folder in which the Properties menu does not give me the Location tab. Currently it is only allowing me to connect it...
  8. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents?: how do i change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents? windows 10 home, 22H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-location-that-fax-and-scan/54b38627-5360-4bcf-9ffa-2eb4ce6e7bac
  10. change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents?

change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents?: how do i change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents? windows 10 home, 22H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-location-that-fax-and-scan/54b38627-5360-4bcf-9ffa-2eb4ce6e7bac