Windows 10: Location of my documents

Discus and support Location of my documents in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just purchased a new HP Paviliona laptop with a 128 G SSD Drive C and a 1TB HD Drive D. It appears the default location for "My Documents" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LouisMiltenberger, Nov 22, 2020 at 7:27 AM.

1. Location of my documents

I just purchased a new HP Paviliona laptop with a 128 G SSD Drive C and a 1TB HD Drive D. It appears the default location for "My Documents" and "Outlook Folders" is on the C drive. SInce it is the smaller drive, I would rather put "My Documents" on the larger D drive. I can do that manually but how can i do it such that the computer automatically defaults to "My Documents" being on the D Drive. I have 200G of files that I want to upload from prior computer to "My documents" on the new computer

Thanks

for any insight and help

:)

LouisMiltenberger, Nov 22, 2020 at 7:27 AM

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 22, 2020 at 7:30 AM
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Documents Destination

The next troubleshooting step we suggest is to restore the default location of the folders. To do this, follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start button.

• Choose File Explorer.

• Type shell:UsersFilesFolder in the address bar.

Location of my documents d9ffeca6-0604-494d-9388-070cdb9a5eeb.png

• Right-click the Documents folder.

• Click the Location tab.

• Click Restore Default.

• Click OK.

Follow the same steps to restore the default location for your Pictures folder.

Give these steps a shot and check if the folders are unlinked from OneDrive.

4. Location of my documents

Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thema:

Location of my documents

1. Location of my documents - Similar Threads - Location documents

2. Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Location of Documents and Pictures folders have moved to OneDrive and I cannot bring them...: I'm not fully sure how this happened, but the last time I turned on my PC, the Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders had suddenly moved to my OneDrive. I was able to move the Desktop folder back to my PC by clicking on Properties and reverting its location to default. But...
  3. Accidentally Changed Location of "Documents" Folder to my Entire G Drive A 10TB HDD That...

Accidentally Changed Location of "Documents" Folder to my Entire G Drive A 10TB HDD That...: I just recently got a 10TB HDD and dumped a bunch of large files on there. Trying to clear up from space from my C Drive, I decided to move my "Documents", "Pictures", and "Videos" folders to the new TB HDD. Issue is when changing the location of the "Documents" folder I...
  4. Documents folder disappeared from "users" but still shows as being located in that path

Documents folder disappeared from "users" but still shows as being located in that path: For some reason the "Documents" folder does not show in the path: WindowsC:>Users>"username", even though the folder is located there. I can find the "Documents" folder under "This PC" or "Libraries", and when I check Properties>Location, it shows it as being located there...
  5. the 6n folder located in Documents folder

the 6n folder located in Documents folder: Windows 10/64: I have just found a folder titled "6n" located in Documents which has exactly the same file folders as one I created for our family photos. I did not intentionally create this folder. Why is it there and can I delete it?...
  6. OneDrive & documents folder seem to have each other's folder path location.

OneDrive & documents folder seem to have each other's folder path location.: I have bought a new computer. In File Explorer it has its usual Windows C: Drive and I have a Storage Drive D:. My aim is to put my library files Documents, Pictures etc. in storage on Storage Drive D:. Before I can do that, I have noticed an anomaly that needs fixing...
  7. Changed location of "Documents" folder - now I have 2 of them and active files are...

Changed location of "Documents" folder - now I have 2 of them and active files are...: Earlier this year I changed the location of my "Documents" folder to a different hard drive than my OS. Everything seemed to working normally until recently I had a program that was asking me where to store something and it showed 2 "Documents" folders on my computer so I...
  8. Can't move the location of pictures folder, as well as documents, etc.

Can't move the location of pictures folder, as well as documents, etc.: I've been trying to move the location of these kinds of folders, but simply can't, windows tells me that there's a folder that can't be moved. I looked all over the internet for solutions, and everywhere they say to change de registry, which I did, but it didn't work. My C:/...
  9. Documents and pictures file location set to one drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Documents and pictures file location set to one drive: So my documents and pictures are at the location of c/user/username/onedrive i want to change it to just c/user.username i have unlinked onedrive from pc and unistalled i have tried restore default and it wont let me as it says you cant move a folder thats in the same...
  10. Cannot relocate Documents/Pictures anymore from the default location

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot relocate Documents/Pictures anymore from the default location: Part of my job is to login to customer's laptops who bought them from us for a tuning session. I often advice them to NOT connect to the internet while creating the account during the initial setup wizard otherwise they will be forced to sign in with a Microsoft account....