Windows 10: location of temp folder

Discus and support location of temp folder in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I keep being notified by just about everything that my "temp" folder has gone walkabout. Where does it belong? Sam... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sam Haddad, May 24, 2019.

1. location of temp folder

I keep being notified by just about everything that my "temp" folder has gone walkabout. Where does it belong?

Sam

:)

Sam Haddad, May 24, 2019
  2. Vicky Acs Win User

about temp folder

Hi Hector,

The temp folder provides work space for programs. Yes they can be deleted. We suggest that you follow the steps provided by Sangeeta Sarkar on how to delete Temp files on this

link
    . You may also type in the search box Disk Cleanup and hit enter. It will evaluate your disk and give you a list of folders sizes that can be deleted.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Regards.

Vicky Acs, May 24, 2019
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, May 24, 2019
  4. location of temp folder

What is the difference between %TEMP% folder and the TEMP folder in C:\Windows\TEMP ?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to know the difference between C:\ temp and %temp%. We will assist you.

Windows Temporary files are created by the operating system during the normal course of its running when there may not be enough memory allocated for the task.

Software which use large amounts of data like Graphics, Video or Media editing software also create temporary files.

Temporary files are also created for back up purposes by its respective programs. These temp files are left behind even after the task is over which leads to disk space usage.

The Temporary Files in Windows are typically found located in two locations:

• %systemdrive%\Windows\Temp
    • %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp
    The Temporary files created by the Windows operating system are usually stored in the %system%\Windows\Temp folderand this is where the system itself will put temporary files during installations.

The temporary files created by the User when running any software is stored in his user profile at %userprofiles%\AppData\Local\. The other folder typically located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp, is created for each User. This folder
    is hidden and you will have to first ‘un-hide’ System folders from the Folder Options.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, May 24, 2019
Thema:

location of temp folder

1. location of temp folder - Similar Threads - location temp folder

2. Temp folder location for standard user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temp folder location for standard user: Hi, I have two users in my PC - 'admin' and 'me'. I use 'me' for normal use, and switch to 'admin' only if I need to do something specific.I have changed all temp paths, in environment variables, for 'admin' to point to 'c:\_Temp\'. When I login as 'me', different paths,...
  3. cant change capture location from temp folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    cant change capture location from temp folder: cant change capture location from temp folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-capture-location-from-temp-folder/c0317057-0bae-4937-816c-f43f6da81534
  4. Problems after changing TEMP folder's location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems after changing TEMP folder's location: Hi. I'm asking here because I have a problem with my windows installation. To avoid damaging my SSD by too much writing, I tried to change the location of the TEMP folder for the user and for windows itself. I already did this on another computer and everything went...
  5. Temp Folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Temp Folder: I am logged in as administrator but in Users there is only a TEMP folder. All of my data is saved in that Temp folder. Where can I find my administrator folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temp-folder/fc67fab3-5b30-42c3-a957-2f3c7543c949
  6. %temp% folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    %temp% folder: Can anyone help me? I'm having trouble with the %temp%, whenever I open temp folder through Win+r then typing %temp% it does not direct me to the temp folder. It open a file, and my computer always ask How do you want to open this file? Please help me to fix this problem. All...
  7. Different temp location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Different temp location: What's the difference between C/windows/temp Vs Appdata/local/temp Experts reply it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-temp-location/643dd8a4-36f4-4d3f-b66d-eabe2e01f6e7"
  8. Can't change capture location from Temp folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change capture location from Temp folder: After I adjusted my disk management, my capture location changing it's location to C:\Users\..\AppData\Local\Temp. Which is I can't move that folder. Please anyone who can solve this problem, thank you...
  9. Temp folder %temp %

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temp folder %temp %: Hello I recently installed 2 updates from NVIDEA. I have run disc clean up and Ccleaner>Windows but this attachment says it all. I could use 'Unlocker' but do not want to do damage if the file should not be removed. Do you have any suggestions? TY Peter 43679
  10. moving temp folder location

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    moving temp folder location: I moved my system and user temp folder locations in the belief it would save so many writes to my SSD, not sure if it was a good idea or not.. now have an error popup which mentions not being able to find the temp folder.....this could be because the partition i moved the...