Windows 10: Location of the imported Default Application Associations .xml file?

Discus and support Location of the imported Default Application Associations .xml file? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, there is a command to export and import default app associations in Windows: Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:"F:\AppAssociations.xml"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Aelther, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Location of the imported Default Application Associations .xml file?

Hi, there is a command to export and import default app associations in Windows:

Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:"F:\AppAssociations.xml"
    Dism /online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:"F:\AppAssociations.xml"​

There's also a very similar way of exporting and importing a Start Layout:

Export-StartLayout -Path "F:\Layout.xml"
    Import-StartLayout –LayoutPath "F:\Layout.xml" –MountPath %systemdrive%​

The import actually just places that file in C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell and names it LayoutModification.xml. I'm Assuming the Default app associations works in the same way, however I have no clue where it might be stored if that's the case. Does anyone have any idea by any chance?

submitted by /u/Aelther
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Aelther, Apr 26, 2020

2. Windows 10 - how to open an XML file by default USING the correct M/S program (XLS, DOC or PPT)?

I believe that the original question was how to open an xml file automatically with MS Excel after a Windows 10 upgrade messed up the file association, that is preventing the user to just double click on an .xml file to have MS Excel open it by default.

To do this you only need to delete the registry key listed below (including all subkeys) and re-associate the .xml file extension with MS Excel as you normally would by right clicking on your .xml file and by choosing "open with" then navigating to the location
    of the MS Excel application and choosing MS Excel as the default.

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xml

Hope that helps!

IvanLeonidas, Apr 26, 2020
  3. i accidentally associated an xls file with office xml handler

Hi,

You can change the default application associated with each file type from Windows Settings. To change the default app by file type, follow these steps:

1. Go to
    Settings.

2. Click
    System.

3. Select
    Default apps.

4. Click the
    Choose default apps by file type option at the bottom of the page.

5. Look for
    .xls file from the list of file types, then click the
    Office XML Handler beside it.

6. Choose the application you would like to associate it with.

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

Kristine Arp, Apr 26, 2020
  4. Location of the imported Default Application Associations .xml file?

Windows 10 - how to open an XML file by default USING the correct M/S program (XLS, DOC or PPT)?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can understand, how frustrating it can be, when things don’t work as expected.

I'd be glad to help you.

I suggest you to open XLS, DOC, XML or PPT file formats in the latest Microsoft office application available.

To open the XLS, DOC, XML or PPT file formats in Microsoft office as default program follow these steps below:

• Type Default programs in the search bar on Windows 10.
    • Associate a file type or protocol with a program under
      Choose the program that Windows use by default in the Default Program
      Window.
    • Select the .xml file type in the Associate a file type or protocol with a program
      Window and click on Ok.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the updated information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Location of the imported Default Application Associations .xml file?

1. Location of the imported Default Application Associations .xml file? - Similar Threads - Location imported Default

2. Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...: HelloI have a problem with Windows 11 22H2 with import file association via GPO or Import-DefaultAppAssociations. When I use this procedure my default apps don't change...Has anyone encountered this?Thank you....
  3. Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...: HelloI have a problem with Windows 11 22H2 with import file association via GPO or Import-DefaultAppAssociations. When I use this procedure my default apps don't change...Has anyone encountered this?Thank you....
  4. Default File association XML in Group Policy will not allow changes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default File association XML in Group Policy will not allow changes: Okay, the title of this question is a little misleading. We currently have a Default file association XML in place in Group Policy to set the default browser to Edge Chromium, however we have some users that want to use Google Chrome as their default browser. As expected if...
  5. default file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file association: I just wanted to know what does the following cmd code do assoc .srt=* or is it a valid command https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-file-association/0094eb83-785f-4a7d-aadf-7c5a92f709b2
  6. Macrium reflect .xml file saved location

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium reflect .xml file saved location: Win 10 ver 1903 I noticed when imaging C/: to F/:folder name that the back up definition .xml file was being saved to One drive. I never selected this. Does that mean that I will have to have internet and point the Macrium rescue media to that file on one drive in order to...
  7. File not associated with Application

File not associated with Application: Windows 10 Home Single Language, version 1809, OS build 17763.737 The computer recently asked to restart my device to scan for threats in Drive(C): I did so, but after booting up the laptop, I am unable to open certain apps from the taskbar or from start. A window pops and...
  8. Default applications: Create an association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default applications: Create an association: Default applications: Create an association Default applications: Create an association.Windows 10 Hello, im Mar, I want help with something that has happened with my computer, here's what happened :Okay, since like 4 days, my computer lagged so I decided to turn it off, I...
  9. Default applications: Create an association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default applications: Create an association: Default applications: Create an association.Windows 10 Hello, im Mar, I want help with something that has happened with my computer, here's what happened :Okay, since like 4 days, my computer lagged so I decided to turn it off, I turned it on, and I went to play Roblox. When...
  10. Default applications: Create an association

Default applications: Create an association: Default applications: Create an association Default applications: Create an association.Windows 10 Hello, im Mar, I want help with something that has happened with my computer, here's what happened :Okay, since like 4 days, my computer lagged so I decided to turn it off, I...