Windows 10: Location service being used without my permission

Discus and support Location service being used without my permission in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dear forum readers, It just happened minutes ago. A few minutes after boot, I noticed the location service icon in the notification bar, which means... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NovHak, Aug 28, 2018.

1. NovHak Win User

Location service being used without my permission

Dear forum readers,

It just happened minutes ago. A few minutes after boot, I noticed the location service icon in the notification bar, which means it's being used, or am I wrong ?

The problem is, the only app I permitted to use it is MS Edge, which is supposed to ask for permission beforehand, as stated on the settings page. So, what happened ? Are there logs I can check to see what used the location service ? I suppose desktop programs (i.e. non universal apps), which are not included on the settings page, can still use it unless it's disabled ?

:)

NovHak, Aug 28, 2018

2. Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 28, 2018
  3. Windows 10 location Service

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.
    • Are you using domain network?

Location controls might be turned off or on, and you may be unable to change these settings, if you’re using a device assigned to you by your workplace, or if you’re using a personal device at your workplace. If that’s the case, Some settings are managed
    by your organization will appear at the top of the location settings page.

I would suggest you to follow the below path and check if it helps.

• Select the Start icon on your taskbar, and then select Settings > Privacy > Location.

I would suggest you to check if the Geo Location service is enabled and started. If not you have to Enable and start the service. follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Geo Location services.
    • Right click on it.
    • Go to properties and change start up type to automatic.
    I would also suggest you to check refer the suggestions from the below article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/location-service-privacy

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Aug 28, 2018
  4. Location service being used without my permission

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Aug 28, 2018
Thema:

Location service being used without my permission

1. Location service being used without my permission - Similar Threads - Location service being

2. I am being signed up for an Azure subscription without my permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am being signed up for an Azure subscription without my permission: I am being signed up for an Azure subscription. I received an error message every time I try to log in to the Azure portal to cancel the subscription. Is there somewhere that I could report this to or another way to cancel the subscription?...
  3. The weather widget is not using a service that is accurate for my location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The weather widget is not using a service that is accurate for my location.: All weather services except Weather Underground are inaccurate for my location, off by as much as 10 degrees F, as well as inaccurate for other weather events such as cloudiness, precipitation, etc.. Zip code, city, etc. are bad information to rely on, as is the IP address...
  4. The weather widget is not using a service that is accurate for my location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The weather widget is not using a service that is accurate for my location.: All weather services except Weather Underground are inaccurate for my location, off by as much as 10 degrees F, as well as inaccurate for other weather events such as cloudiness, precipitation, etc.. Zip code, city, etc. are bad information to rely on, as is the IP address...
  5. Randomly screenshotting and location being used

in Windows 10 Customization
    Randomly screenshotting and location being used: Hey guys, can i ask you a question? So basically there was this thing showing up every hour, and its called "your location is in use" when i pressed the notification, there was clearly nothing using my location! And also sometimes when this happened i get notifications that...
  6. Randomly screenshotting and location being used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Randomly screenshotting and location being used: Hey guys, can i ask you a question? So basically there was this thing showing up every hour, and its called "your location is in use" when i pressed the notification, there was clearly nothing using my location! And also sometimes when this happened i get notifications that...
  7. Randomly screenshotting and location being used

8. location permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    location permissions: Maps program says it doesn't have permission to use my location. Note in red on location permissions page says " *Some of these settings are hidden or managed by your organization" Don't know where to find organization settings....
  9. Work address being used by Microsoft.com account - without permission

in Windows 10 Customization
    Work address being used by Microsoft.com account - without permission: One of our shared mailboxes received an email that "Your Microsoft account has been renamed. We just wanted to check with you that it's okay." and another saying "Your Password Changed". The problem is, we don't use microsoft.com accounts where I work, so apparently someone...
  10. Use Cortana without location enable

Use Cortana without location enable: Are there anyways I can use Cortana without enable location ? Because when I enable my location it low by batteries life a lot *Sad 46112