Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

Discus and support Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I notice that the tablet/phone lock screen is still appearing for Desktop/Laptop installs and wonder why. Previously when I enable turning off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015.

1. gregrocker Win User

I notice that the tablet/phone lock screen is still appearing for Desktop/Laptop installs and wonder why.

Previously when I enable turning off the lock screen in gpedit.msc it turns off the lock screen timeout too. But on the latest build I still get a much sooner timeout to my MS password than what I have set in Power Options.

How do I turn off the supposed Lock Screen timeout when I don't have a lock screen? This is annoying, and surely will annoy MS' billion+ desktop customers who don't need a phone or tablet lockscreen or timeout on their desktop/laptop which already has familar timeouts to password in Power Options.

:)

gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015
  2. Bruce Hagen Win User

HOW TO INCREASE SCREEN TIME OUT IN WIN10

Right click on the Desktop | Personalize | Lock Screen. See the Screen Saver & Timeout settings.

Bruce Hagen, Feb 20, 2015
  3. vaxvms7860 Win User
    How do you change windows phone startup

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your helpful tip. What I really need is to be able to configure my Windows Phone so that it will automatically run an app at power-up that I want to specify, and for the lock screen to never timeout. Currently, I can only set the lock screen
    to not timeout for 5 minutes max. For what I'm using my windows phone for, I need for the lock screen to never timeout.

Is that possible to set the lock screen timeout to "never"?

Or is it possible for the Windows phone to startup a particular app instead of starting the Start Screen/lock screen at Power Up?

Thanks again!

Regards,

vaxvms7860, Feb 20, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

Have a look at this settings:

Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! [​IMG]

badrobot, Feb 20, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    I think that's the same as making an automatic log-in with netplwiz.

I think that's OK for desktops at home. But in an Office or for highly portable devices that may get lost that is not so swift. In fact highly portable devices should not only have a login password but also an encrypted system drive - but MS should not do that automatically like for Instant Go devices but ask the user whether he wants that.

6. Edwin New Member
    If I do the GPEdit tweak, it disables the lock screen, however, if I leave it for 60 seconds all monitors go black.
    Probably a security measure, and maybe only temporary as this is still beta.

Edwin, Feb 20, 2015
  7. ThrashZone Win User
    Yea the lock screen at startup is just weird and turning it off actually makes startup slower very weird :/

ThrashZone, Feb 20, 2015
  8. gregrocker Win User

It's set to require password after Sleep, but my sleep is set to 30 minutes yetand I've had it at password screen when I come back in less time than that ever since update.

gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015
  9. Kesto Win User
    They need to stop appealing to the mobile market and focus more on desktops...

Kesto, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! - Similar Threads - Lock screen timeout

2. Reoccurring Blue Screen of Death Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reoccurring Blue Screen of Death Error: Hello, my PC has been getting frequent Blue Screen Errors. There have been at least 4 in the span of one week, so there's clearly something wrong. I have run a performance test and it says that nothing is wrong, yet my PC keeps getting the error. The code I have been getting...
  3. screen goes black and glitches my games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen goes black and glitches my games: so after a month of dealing with this problem i am puting up my own question problem: my screens go black and after 2 seconds my screens come back but my game's like Garry's Mod go completely white and i can still play but i cant see anything so i have to restart my game...
  4. Turning off notification to enable edge access on touch screens

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turning off notification to enable edge access on touch screens: My wife's All-in-one Vaio has a touch screen that had to be turned off. But, there is this Edge Access feature on it where the bottom lower corner of the screen has some kind of function. It keeps flashing this popup at random times, sometimes right in the middle of her...
  5. Screen brightness

Screen brightness: Can anyone tell me why, when I open my laptop, the screen brightness is lo?. I do not have night light on. I set the brightness to where I want it but when I open my laptop, the screen is dull again....
  6. (FIXED) Found a solution to missing fake/ghost/virtual extended screen problem with windows...

(FIXED) Found a solution to missing fake/ghost/virtual extended screen problem with windows...: So prior to the July (ish) update you could hit detect and then it would prompt you to try anyway if monitor is not found. now you hit detect and just nothing happens, sometimes you can get the monitor not found but no continue anyway option. I found an Odd work around. hit...
  7. Operating System failure help needed

in Windows 10 Support
    Operating System failure help needed: Greetings, Earlier today I was watching amazon and google chrome sent me back to the previous page continuously until I got back to new tab. This happens everytime I open something in google chrome, spotify, microsoft edge, or even steam. A few seconds after opening anything...
  8. Updgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 10 help needed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 10 help needed: I am upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 10. I have purchased a full retail version of Windows 10. My computer, although old, has been upgraded and has all the correct specs to run the operating system, including a 250gb SSD. My system is 32-bit. I know I have to do a...
  9. Windows Support to connect remote desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Support to connect remote desktop: Windows Support to connect more than 2 PC with the same Public IP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-support-to-connect-remote-desktop/a0bb862e-1d2f-4ab9-8d88-d3021fbc3e2a
  10. Turning off notification to enable edge access on touch screens

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turning off notification to enable edge access on touch screens: My wife's All-in-one Vaio has a touch screen that had to be turned off. But, there is this Edge Access feature on it where the bottom lower corner of the screen has some kind of function. It keeps flashing this popup at random times, sometimes right in the middle of her...