Windows 10: Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

Discus and support Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I notice that the tablet/phone lock screen is still appearing for Desktop/Laptop installs and wonder why. Previously when I enable turning off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

I notice that the tablet/phone lock screen is still appearing for Desktop/Laptop installs and wonder why.

Previously when I enable turning off the lock screen in gpedit.msc it turns off the lock screen timeout too. But on the latest build I still get a much sooner timeout to my MS password than what I have set in Power Options.

How do I turn off the supposed Lock Screen timeout when I don't have a lock screen? This is annoying, and surely will annoy MS' billion+ desktop customers who don't need a phone or tablet lockscreen or timeout on their desktop/laptop which already has familar timeouts to password in Power Options.

:)

gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015

2. HOW TO INCREASE SCREEN TIME OUT IN WIN10

Right click on the Desktop | Personalize | Lock Screen. See the Screen Saver & Timeout settings.

Bruce Hagen, Feb 20, 2015
  3. How do you change windows phone startup

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your helpful tip. What I really need is to be able to configure my Windows Phone so that it will automatically run an app at power-up that I want to specify, and for the lock screen to never timeout. Currently, I can only set the lock screen
    to not timeout for 5 minutes max. For what I'm using my windows phone for, I need for the lock screen to never timeout.

Is that possible to set the lock screen timeout to "never"?

Or is it possible for the Windows phone to startup a particular app instead of starting the Start Screen/lock screen at Power Up?

Thanks again!

Regards,

vaxvms7860, Feb 20, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

Have a look at this settings:

Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! [​IMG]

badrobot, Feb 20, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    I think that's the same as making an automatic log-in with netplwiz.

I think that's OK for desktops at home. But in an Office or for highly portable devices that may get lost that is not so swift. In fact highly portable devices should not only have a login password but also an encrypted system drive - but MS should not do that automatically like for Instant Go devices but ask the user whether he wants that.

6. Edwin New Member
    If I do the GPEdit tweak, it disables the lock screen, however, if I leave it for 60 seconds all monitors go black.
    Probably a security measure, and maybe only temporary as this is still beta.

Edwin, Feb 20, 2015
  7. Yea the lock screen at startup is just weird and turning it off actually makes startup slower very weird :/

ThrashZone, Feb 20, 2015
  8. Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

It's set to require password after Sleep, but my sleep is set to 30 minutes yetand I've had it at password screen when I come back in less time than that ever since update.

gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015
  9. Kesto Win User
    They need to stop appealing to the mobile market and focus more on desktops...

Kesto, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

1. Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! - Similar Threads - Lock screen timeout

2. Adjust Screen Sleep to Lock Timeout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adjust Screen Sleep to Lock Timeout: I've seen this Registry setting before, but I just did a web search and couldn't find it. When the screen times out and turns off, there are a couple of seconds during which you can wiggle the mouse or press the space bar and the screen will return, but not be locked. After...
  3. Adjust Screen Sleep to Lock Timeout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adjust Screen Sleep to Lock Timeout: I've seen this Registry setting before, but I just did a web search and couldn't find it. When the screen times out and turns off, there are a couple of seconds during which you can wiggle the mouse or press the space bar and the screen will return, but not be locked. After...
  4. Can't control Lock Screen timeout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't control Lock Screen timeout: I've asked a similar question on this site before, but even with several good suggestions, I can't gain control of the Lock Screen timeout where PIN is requested. The process works, if my system is unused the lock screen comes on, but I cannot control how soon the Lock Screen...
  5. Remote Desktop - How to Increase Lock Timeout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop - How to Increase Lock Timeout: I am on Windows 10 Enterprise. I use Remote Desktop Connection to remote into Windows 2012 and Window 2016 Servers and often move back and forth between my machine one or more remote servers. The timeout period, before the RDC forces me to re-enter my password seems very...
  6. Lock Screen Timeout

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock Screen Timeout: Hi all! I have an odd issue: My computer running Windows 10 10.0.18362 Build 18362 won't auto-lock the screen. It turns off the screen like it ought to after 10 minutes but won't lock unless I use the keyboard shortcut. Any ideas on how to get the machine to lock when the...
  7. Lock Screen Timeout?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lock Screen Timeout?: Hi All, I have set my display to never lock me out (i work from home) when both on power and battery. However, my screen still locks me out and shows me inactive after 5 minutes. I could be on the phone taking notes and my screen will timeout and lock. Is there something I...
  8. Screen lock or timeout

Screen lock or timeout: My screen lock has been set to kick in at 15 mins for some time now but it locks after only a minute or two. How can I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-lock-or-timeout/2bc2c310-a96b-4b5f-8907-d6eaa6e3a919
  9. Lock Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lock Screen Timeout: I have followed all the suggestions made by changes in the registry and in the power options but the timeout in my Windows 10 still remains at 1 to 2 minutes. Is it any way I can just turn off all the functions related to having the computer going to sleep? Any help will be...
  10. Display, desktop, lock, and timeout

Display, desktop, lock, and timeout: There are 3 different personalized screens I am finding. The standard desktop background, and the lock screen. I am having trouble finding a way to customize this 3rd screen which is a timeout screen that plays a slideshow about a minute after inactivity. I move the mouse or...