Windows 10: Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

Discus and support Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I notice that the tablet/phone lock screen is still appearing for Desktop/Laptop installs and wonder why. Previously when I enable turning off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

I notice that the tablet/phone lock screen is still appearing for Desktop/Laptop installs and wonder why.

Previously when I enable turning off the lock screen in gpedit.msc it turns off the lock screen timeout too. But on the latest build I still get a much sooner timeout to my MS password than what I have set in Power Options.

How do I turn off the supposed Lock Screen timeout when I don't have a lock screen? This is annoying, and surely will annoy MS' billion+ desktop customers who don't need a phone or tablet lockscreen or timeout on their desktop/laptop which already has familar timeouts to password in Power Options.

:)

gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015

2. HOW TO INCREASE SCREEN TIME OUT IN WIN10

Right click on the Desktop | Personalize | Lock Screen. See the Screen Saver & Timeout settings.

Bruce Hagen, Feb 20, 2015
  3. How do you change windows phone startup

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your helpful tip. What I really need is to be able to configure my Windows Phone so that it will automatically run an app at power-up that I want to specify, and for the lock screen to never timeout. Currently, I can only set the lock screen
    to not timeout for 5 minutes max. For what I'm using my windows phone for, I need for the lock screen to never timeout.

Is that possible to set the lock screen timeout to "never"?

Or is it possible for the Windows phone to startup a particular app instead of starting the Start Screen/lock screen at Power Up?

Thanks again!

Regards,

vaxvms7860, Feb 20, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

Have a look at this settings:

Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! [​IMG]

badrobot, Feb 20, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    I think that's the same as making an automatic log-in with netplwiz.

I think that's OK for desktops at home. But in an Office or for highly portable devices that may get lost that is not so swift. In fact highly portable devices should not only have a login password but also an encrypted system drive - but MS should not do that automatically like for Instant Go devices but ask the user whether he wants that.

6. Edwin New Member
    If I do the GPEdit tweak, it disables the lock screen, however, if I leave it for 60 seconds all monitors go black.
    Probably a security measure, and maybe only temporary as this is still beta.

Edwin, Feb 20, 2015
  7. Yea the lock screen at startup is just weird and turning it off actually makes startup slower very weird :/

ThrashZone, Feb 20, 2015
  8. Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

It's set to require password after Sleep, but my sleep is set to 30 minutes yetand I've had it at password screen when I come back in less time than that ever since update.

gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015
  9. Kesto Win User
    They need to stop appealing to the mobile market and focus more on desktops...

Kesto, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

1. Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! - Similar Threads - Lock screen timeout

2. How to set different values for screen timeout and screen lock?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set different values for screen timeout and screen lock?: I want to assign different values to screen timeout and to screen lock. i.e. I want the screen to timeout after 10 minutes but activate the screen lock after 1 hour. Right now I do not see an option to do so. You can only make it lock at the same time it timeouts, or not at...
  3. Screen lock or timeout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen lock or timeout: My screen lock has been set to kick in at 15 mins for some time now but it locks after only a minute or two. How can I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-lock-or-timeout/2bc2c310-a96b-4b5f-8907-d6eaa6e3a919
  4. Lock Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lock Screen Timeout: I have followed all the suggestions made by changes in the registry and in the power options but the timeout in my Windows 10 still remains at 1 to 2 minutes. Is it any way I can just turn off all the functions related to having the computer going to sleep? Any help will be...
  5. Display, desktop, lock, and timeout

Display, desktop, lock, and timeout: There are 3 different personalized screens I am finding. The standard desktop background, and the lock screen. I am having trouble finding a way to customize this 3rd screen which is a timeout screen that plays a slideshow about a minute after inactivity. I move the mouse or...
  6. Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout: So I have been having this problem for a couple of months and I do not know what to do. I have tried so many different things from many posts and I can't find anything that works. A few months ago I replaced my boot drive with an SSD drive. I did this by plugging in the SSD,...
  7. "Lock Screen Slideshow" For The Desktop Slideshow

"Lock Screen Slideshow" For The Desktop Slideshow: Hello, You are familiar with how the Lock Screen Slideshow plays, where it sometimes puts one image on the whole screen and slides to the left or right / fades the picture away, and loads multiple pictures sometimes, varying by size, and other fancy variations, etc. Has...
  8. Trouble with screen timeout.

in Windows 10 Support
    Trouble with screen timeout.: I'm using Windows 10 and I changed all of my When Computer Sleeps settings and my screen still goes black after about 30 seconds of inactivity. Not really sure why this happens because I changed all of the settings for the screen shutting off to never. Any help would be...
  9. Screens Won't Timeout

in Windows 10 Support
    Screens Won't Timeout: I have the "Turn off display after" set to 20 minutes: [img] ...but they aren't timing out. Does anyone know what might be keeping this from working? Another setting? Some program is keeping it from timing out? 23814
  10. Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10: I tried both options and this still doesn't work for me... although my computer is timing out after 2 minutes. I set my screensaver, power options, etc etc. all to never turn off/lock out and it still happens. Any ideas? 65592