Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

Discus and support Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I notice that the tablet/phone lock screen is still appearing for Desktop/Laptop installs and wonder why. Previously when I enable turning off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015.

1. gregrocker Win User

I notice that the tablet/phone lock screen is still appearing for Desktop/Laptop installs and wonder why.

Previously when I enable turning off the lock screen in gpedit.msc it turns off the lock screen timeout too. But on the latest build I still get a much sooner timeout to my MS password than what I have set in Power Options.

How do I turn off the supposed Lock Screen timeout when I don't have a lock screen? This is annoying, and surely will annoy MS' billion+ desktop customers who don't need a phone or tablet lockscreen or timeout on their desktop/laptop which already has familar timeouts to password in Power Options.

:)

gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015
  2. Bruce Hagen Win User

HOW TO INCREASE SCREEN TIME OUT IN WIN10

Right click on the Desktop | Personalize | Lock Screen. See the Screen Saver & Timeout settings.

Bruce Hagen, Feb 20, 2015
  3. vaxvms7860 Win User
    How do you change windows phone startup

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your helpful tip. What I really need is to be able to configure my Windows Phone so that it will automatically run an app at power-up that I want to specify, and for the lock screen to never timeout. Currently, I can only set the lock screen
    to not timeout for 5 minutes max. For what I'm using my windows phone for, I need for the lock screen to never timeout.

Is that possible to set the lock screen timeout to "never"?

Or is it possible for the Windows phone to startup a particular app instead of starting the Start Screen/lock screen at Power Up?

Thanks again!

Regards,

vaxvms7860, Feb 20, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

Have a look at this settings:

[​IMG]

badrobot, Feb 20, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    I think that's the same as making an automatic log-in with netplwiz.

I think that's OK for desktops at home. But in an Office or for highly portable devices that may get lost that is not so swift. In fact highly portable devices should not only have a login password but also an encrypted system drive - but MS should not do that automatically like for Instant Go devices but ask the user whether he wants that.

6. Edwin New Member
    If I do the GPEdit tweak, it disables the lock screen, however, if I leave it for 60 seconds all monitors go black.
    Probably a security measure, and maybe only temporary as this is still beta.

Edwin, Feb 20, 2015
  7. ThrashZone Win User
    Yea the lock screen at startup is just weird and turning it off actually makes startup slower very weird :/

ThrashZone, Feb 20, 2015
  8. gregrocker Win User

It's set to require password after Sleep, but my sleep is set to 30 minutes yetand I've had it at password screen when I come back in less time than that ever since update.

gregrocker, Feb 20, 2015
  9. Kesto Win User
    They need to stop appealing to the mobile market and focus more on desktops...

Kesto, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! - Similar Threads - Lock screen timeout

Forum Date

Different Pin Or Password For Lock Screen

Different Pin Or Password For Lock Screen: I am wondering if it is possible to have a separate Pin or Password for the lock screen and sign in screen? For example: My Microsoft Account Pin and Password is known to more than myself in my home. I do not want to change the Microsoft Account Password. If I change the Pin...
User Accounts and Family Safety Jun 2, 2018

Different Pin Or Password For Lock Screen & Sign-in Screen?

Different Pin Or Password For Lock Screen & Sign-in Screen?: I am wondering if it is possible to have a separate Pin or Password for the lock screen and sign in screen? For example: My Microsoft Account Pin and Password is known to more than myself in my home. I do not want to change the Microsoft Account Password. If I change the Pin...
Windows 10 Support Jun 1, 2018

trying to display the weather app on the lock screen

trying to display the weather app on the lock screen: trying to display the weather app on the lock screen. I didn't use location for weather, typed in home town for the location. it is not working and only get the oem time and date. is it not possible to do this? side note, I noticed in group policy editor "Disables the lock...
Windows 10 Software and Apps May 24, 2018

Windows 10 lock screen error

Windows 10 lock screen error: I'm having a very odd problem, and I don't think I've seen anything online regarding it. My ASUS Laptop, running windows 10, had suddenly slowed down dramatically, and would take a long time to start up, and it seemed the more times i attempted to fix it the worse things got,...
Windows 10 Support May 12, 2018

Lock screen oddities after April update.

Lock screen oddities after April update.: Okay so after April I have noticed that the lock screen upon boot up or restart sometimes, the lock screen will blink the time and date after coming up. It only happens for a sec though. So to test if it would happen upon wake up from sleep, I re enabled password upon wake to...
Windows 10 Support May 6, 2018

How to permanently lock/pin part of my screen for some specific window

How to permanently lock/pin part of my screen for some specific window: I am sorry I'm having a hard time phrasing my question clearly in a title format. I just want to have an excel sheet open all the time on the right side of my screen and stay there permanently. I tried "Always on Top" application and it's amazing for what it does. But...
Windows 10 Customization May 6, 2018

Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10

Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10: I tried both options and this still doesn't work for me... although my computer is timing out after 2 minutes. I set my screensaver, power options, etc etc. all to never turn off/lock out and it still happens. Any ideas? 65592
Windows 10 Tutorials Jul 19, 2017
Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop! solved