Windows 10: lock screen appearing after 15 seconds of inactivity

Discus and support lock screen appearing after 15 seconds of inactivity in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So this issue has become increasing frustrating for our end users. After no apparent changes were made random users started reporting that the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by neblin, May 8, 2019.

1. neblin Win User

lock screen appearing after 15 seconds of inactivity

So this issue has become increasing frustrating for our end users. After no apparent changes were made random users started reporting that the computer they use would go into screen saver then lock. We have a group policy enabled that keeps the screen saver turned off. We've never needed to change that policy and it's worked just fine - until about a month ago.

We use SCCM to deploy software packages and Windows Updates. We recently pushed a new software title to our school computers and reports started trickling in about computers locking out after 15 seconds (I timed it when I went to troubleshoot). 15 seconds isn't even an option in the power/sleep or screen saver settings.

We found that deleting the user profile from the computer appears to "solve" the problem. But that doesn't help us identify the cause.

In an effort to narrow down possible causes, we made one change in the policy that - at the time - seemed to solve the issue. But our SCCM pushed out a new round of updates yesterday and today we had a few more reports of the 15 second lockout.

This is happening across different hardware platforms too. It's happening to random users and does not seem to be following any pattern which has made this issue extremely difficult to fix.

I've checked error logs, hardware and software differences, changed power/sleep settings and screen saver settings locally and nothing fixes the problem. Only deleting the user profile seems to "fix" it, but again, that's not helping us identify where the problem is coming from.

We are running Windows 10 64-bit (OS build 16299.1029)

:)

neblin, May 8, 2019
  2. chrislee Win User

Disable inactive lock screen.

Good afternoon,

I've got a feeling I'm missing something really basic but I am unable to disable the lock screen that appears after approx 5 minutes of inactivity.
    I've used registry and deactivated it following tutorials but that has only stopped the lock screen on start up.

I'm sure I've got it turned off in settings but it still appears.
    Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Chris.

Windows 10 Home.

chrislee, May 8, 2019
  3. Lock screen timeout is stuck at 60 seconds

In windows 10, my lock screen always comes up after 60 seconds of inactivity despite my timeout being set at 15 mins. This is a major inconvenience. Waiting for multiplayer game lobbies, reading, and doing work takes twice as long as it should. Please
    help.

KarmaBlack, May 8, 2019
  4. lock screen appearing after 15 seconds of inactivity

windows 7 64 freezes after 15 minutes of inactivity

Can you suggest a fix for my Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 64? It freezes the screen after 15 minutes of inactivity/

MichaelCala, May 8, 2019
Thema:

lock screen appearing after 15 seconds of inactivity

1. lock screen appearing after 15 seconds of inactivity - Similar Threads - lock screen appearing

2. Screen going dark and locking after a few seconds of inactivity after upgrate: 2023-09...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen going dark and locking after a few seconds of inactivity after upgrate: 2023-09...: After upgrading to the Windows 11 2023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5030219 the screen becomes dark automatically after about 5 seconds of inactivity and windows lock almost immediately. Nothing into power options seems to be...
  3. Screen going dark and locking after a few seconds of inactivity after upgrate: 2023-09...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen going dark and locking after a few seconds of inactivity after upgrate: 2023-09...: After upgrading to the Windows 11 2023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5030219 the screen becomes dark automatically after about 5 seconds of inactivity and windows lock almost immediately. Nothing into power options seems to be...
  4. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity: I just recently developed this issue where if I leave my monitor on a still image for a few seconds, it goes into hibernation. Normally that takes a few minutes. I have checked my power setting and sleep timers, those are fine. I tried the same monitor with two other devices...
  5. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity: I just recently developed this issue where if I leave my monitor on a still image for a few seconds, it goes into hibernation. Normally that takes a few minutes. I have checked my power setting and sleep timers, those are fine. I tried the same monitor with two other devices...
  6. Screen goes black after a few seconds of inactivity

7. Disabling the screen lock after a period of user inactivity

Disabling the screen lock after a period of user inactivity: Hi How can you turn off the screen lock when the user is inactive on the computer for a while? During this time, nothing is done on the computer and the screen lock is activated. It is Windows 10 - 21H2 Is it possible to disable the screen lock for all users who log in to the...
  8. Disabling the screen lock after a period of user inactivity

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling the screen lock after a period of user inactivity: Hi How can you turn off the screen lock when the user is inactive on the computer for a while? During this time, nothing is done on the computer and the screen lock is activated. It is Windows 10 - 21H2 Is it possible to disable the screen lock for all users who log in to the...
  9. lock screen slide show inactive after a period of inactivity

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    lock screen slide show inactive after a period of inactivity: Hello everyone! The one problem I have is that I set the slideshow to the lock screen and let it show if I don't use the computer for 5 minutes. Normally, after 5 minutes, the lock screen will appear and the slideshow starts but my computer turns off the screen. Only when I...
  10. Disable inactive lock screen.

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable inactive lock screen.: Good afternoon, I've got a feeling I'm missing something really basic but I am unable to disable the lock screen that appears after approx 5 minutes of inactivity. I've used registry and deactivated it following tutorials but that has only stopped the lock screen on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. screen should lockot in 15 seconds