Windows 10: Lock Screen/Having to Sign In

Discus and support Lock Screen/Having to Sign In in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I was thrilled when I first got W10 that I was not required to sign back in every time I went to the bathroom or to get a cup of coffee. Then I did a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Wadi, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Wadi Win User

Lock Screen/Having to Sign In

I was thrilled when I first got W10 that I was not required to sign back in every time I went to the bathroom or to get a cup of coffee. Then I did a restart and, yup, there was the lock screen and the requirement to sign back in.*Mad

This thread is mostly gobbledygook to me, but I think I could follow it if I had to-- BUT, does this just disable the lock screen per se or does it actually also make it possible to not have to sign in every time?

I knew that there was no way to override this in 8.1 (and I think this was the feature that drove us both the most crazy). I can certainly see why this lock-out feature would be critical in some circumstances-- children or non-family members living in the house, office settings, etc. but has Microsoft decided to treat us like adults and allow us to disable this feature?

There are two of us in the house-- man and wife. We each have our own machine but neither of us cares if the other would access our machines-- although I don't know why we would except in an emergency-- in which case, if we forgot the spouse's password, it would be a problem.

OR, it just occurred to me, did I panic for nothing? Will this only happen after a restart? That would be reasonable.

I suppose I could kill this post and just wait to find out, but I'm too lazy to retype this later if I need it.

Also, I promised to keep my Facebook friends who haven't converted yet (and who I have already advised about this excellent forum) about my experience with the upgrade and this would be a good thing to tell them about-- whichever way it turns out.

Thanks, everybody.

EDIT: So far, so good! I went away for lunch for about 45 minutes and came back to find I didn't have to sign back in. So, maybe this was a false alarm.

:)

2. lacrumb Win User

sign on screen

Settings, Personalization, Lock screen.

There you have the default photos or you can use Browse and pick a photo you have on the computer.

Now the Lock screen and the Sign-in screen are the same if you turn the " Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" on or else the sign-in screen is blank.

lacrumb, Sep 30, 2015
  3. Black lock screen

Using latest Windows 10 (ver 1607 14393.187) 64bit. Using Windows Spotlight for Lock screen.

If "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" is off, lock screen has background picture, sign-in does not; this is correct.

If it is on, then lock screen background is black (date etc is OK) and sign-in has the lock screen background picture. Lock screen should have picture, not black.

JosephLTate, Sep 30, 2015
  4. joya Win User

Hi Wadi! Do you want the system to automatically log into your account every time you power on (or restart) the computer? But want Windows to prompt for a password on wakeup from sleep?

5. Wadi Win User
    Actually, it is the reverse. I don't mind logging in when I restart or power on but don't want to log in when it wakes up from sleep.

6. Wadi Win User
    Well, the computer has been asleep for a couple of hours and I didn't have to sign in. So, it seems all is working as I wanted it to.

I will mark this one as solved!

Wadi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Lock Screen/Having to Sign In - Similar Threads - Lock Screen Having

2. No sign in on lock screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No sign in on lock screen: Computer boots up but won't give me sign in on lock screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sign-in-on-lock-screen/039b940b-13e3-4cb0-8d92-0bd50b550a41
  3. No sign in on lock screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No sign in on lock screen: Computer boots up but won't give me sign in on lock screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sign-in-on-lock-screen/039b940b-13e3-4cb0-8d92-0bd50b550a41
  4. No sign in on lock screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lock Screen and Sign in screen not appearing.

Lock Screen and Sign in screen not appearing.: Hi everyone! I have a laptop with Windows 10 pro detailed information about the build number and all is mentioned in the image attached below. The issue which I am facing is that after waking up my pc from sleep, I am not able to see the sign in screen and also not the lock...
  6. Lock screen/sign-on

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lock screen/sign-on: I only have one account on my Windows 10 desktop. It used to boot up to the "in-focus" lock screen. I would press the space bar to display the password box. Windows recently upgraded itself to version 2004. Now on a boot-up from power off, it goes to the "blurry" lock screen...
  7. Windows lock screen and sign in

Windows lock screen and sign in: My HP laptop windows 10 can't start. It's not recognising my paasword or PIN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-lock-screen-and-sign-in/66db6827-da2d-43c3-ae87-37a2e6a5c2be
  8. Lock Screen Sign On

Lock Screen Sign On: I have just had my laptop screen replaced so I logged on and setup my Microsoft acct. again , but when I signed out, little did I know I would never be able to sign in again.? It loads, it get's network, it shows not my name but a large HP under my pic. Then it already says...
  9. Lock & Sign-in screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock & Sign-in screen: When I turn on my computer, a picture of a lone backpack on a mountain w/a lake is shown (picture 1). When I move my mouse to bring up the screen where I can choose an account, I get the same screen. This also happens when I'm in Windows & lock the screen (which I rarely...
  10. different lock screen and sign in screen?

in Windows 10 Customization
    different lock screen and sign in screen?: In 1607, the lock screen can be shown on the sign in screen. If disabled, it shows a solid color. Is there a way I can use Spotlight for my lock screen and set the Hero image as my sign in screen background? 63183