Windows 10: Lock Screen is closing all of the programs

Discus and support Lock Screen is closing all of the programs in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So, Here is what is happening whenever I lock my computer after logging back in after 5 minutes it takes a little time more than usual to go to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Arslan Iftikhar, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Lock Screen is closing all of the programs

So, Here is what is happening whenever I lock my computer after logging back in after 5 minutes it takes a little time more than usual to go to the password screen and it takes time after entering the password than usual.

The worse thing is that it closes all the open programs which is kind of weird because it makes me lose a lot of work yesterday.

:)

Arslan Iftikhar, Apr 14, 2021

2. Windows 10 lock screen closes programs

Recently, when Windows 10 returns to the lock screen, all of my programs (e.g. Excel) are closed, any unsaved information is lost, and I must restart the programs upon entering my password at the lock screen. The behavior is as if, by leaving the computer idle, I clicked the "sign out" option (which I have not).

• Reverting to an old system restore point did not work.
    • Using Win-L and then immediately entering my password does not close my programs. I don't know how long the delay is between going to the lock screen and my programs being closed
    • I have no screen saver; the screen goes blank after 10 minutes; I have - to my knowledge - unchecked all instances of returning to the lock screen
    • I do want the lock screen, as this is an office computer
    • When booting to safe mode, the problem does not appear.

In response to comments

• My office computer is not on the institution's domain, although they do have one.
    • I can confirm that the computer is not rebooting by checking that no events with IDs 6005 or 6006 occur at times when my programs close
    • Starting the lock screen witn Win-L and waiting 15-20 minutes does not cause my programs to close. I not yet been able to check longer times; however, this is the only clue I have thus far to suggest that the program closing issue may not be attached to the lock screen.

I am not sufficiently familiar with the event viewer or task scheduling to check these systems for additional diagnostic information.

How do I continue to diagnose, and ultimately resolve, the issue of the Windows-10 lock screen apparently forcing all of my programs to close?

bobthechemist, Apr 14, 2021
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Windows Spotlight on the lock screen

Hi,

There are multiple causes on why you're encountering this issue. To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest that you disable and re-enable Spotlight. Simply follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the desktop and open Personalize.
    • Open Lock Screen tab.
    • Under Background, switch from Windows Spotlight to a Picture or the Slideshow.
    • Click OK and close the Window.
    • Now Log off and log in.
    • Navigate to Lock screen and enable Windows Spotlight again.

Let us know how it works.

Dyan Rey, Apr 14, 2021
  4. shevanel Win User

Lock Screen is closing all of the programs

Any software to lock a running program?

Does anyone know of an ap or program that will allow me to lock software while in use so that it cannot be closed without a password or similar?

For example, if I have a media player open and running music is there a way or an ap that will allow no one to be able to close it, minimize it or use any other software on the PC?

Thanks for any suggestions...

shevanel, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

Lock Screen is closing all of the programs

1. Lock Screen is closing all of the programs - Similar Threads - Lock Screen closing

2. Notepad Program Closes After Computer Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad Program Closes After Computer Lock Screen: Dear Microsoft Community,I'm having trouble every time after I lock the screen with Ctrl + L, my notepad file keeps closing automatically while other programs remain open.It's very annoying that I have keep opening them manually again and again.Please help....
  3. Notepad Program Closes After Computer Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad Program Closes After Computer Lock Screen: Dear Microsoft Community,I'm having trouble every time after I lock the screen with Ctrl + L, my notepad file keeps closing automatically while other programs remain open.It's very annoying that I have keep opening them manually again and again.Please help....
  4. All programs closing when I lock my computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    All programs closing when I lock my computer: Hi all,This appear to be an intermittent issue that has started happening the last few days. Sometimes when I lock my computer and return 5-10 minutes later all of the programs I had open including Edge have been shut down. I've not changed any settings etc, I'm plugged into...
  5. Close all running programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Close all running programs: Windows Live Mail has not downloaded any emails from our email server Earthlink since 9/16/2020 which suspiciously happen after I did the feature update to Windows 10, version 2004. One of the steps for the fix is to close all running programs which I am not sure how to do....
  6. All Programs close on sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All Programs close on sleep: On my laptop when I open the lid all of the programs are shut off, my keyboard lights are off and it takes a few minutes to log in and open up. It appears that when I close the lid and re-open it is just like turning the power on. I close lid for 30 seconds and then I am 5...
  7. All programs close when I lock my laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All programs close when I lock my laptop: submitted by /u/timothy5597 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ggb122/all_programs_close_when_i_lock_my_laptop/
  8. Closing programs

Closing programs: Having Window 10 is cool but I need to know why I can't close Yahoo Messenger and Skype. "Quit Skype" is in a black area on Skype and "Sign Out" in Yahoo messenger is the same. I cannot close these 2 programs, they are not Apps, when I am ready to shut down the computer. Does...
  9. Programs Closing

Programs Closing: I'm not an expert, so please go easy on me. My main problem is programs suddenly close. When using a browser (Firefox or Chrome) the program will close. Approx every 3-5 minutes. However, there are times it will stay open for significantly longer. I've tried using Firefox...
  10. Lock Screen closing applications

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock Screen closing applications: Hey, so I'm new to windows 10. Cleaned my laptop completely by resetting it and when I tried to install old games using steam had to download the updates again. But now when the screen locks it closes down steam and the updates don't download. This is really frustrating due...