Windows 10: Lock screen slideshow works only with built-in Windows pictures, nothing else

Discus and support Lock screen slideshow works only with built-in Windows pictures, nothing else in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've been reading for hours. I've messed with the Registry. I've turned things on and off. I've changed file permissions. I've checked the Search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Or0b0ur0s, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Lock screen slideshow works only with built-in Windows pictures, nothing else

I've been reading for hours. I've messed with the Registry. I've turned things on and off. I've changed file permissions. I've checked the Search Indexing Service. NOTHING works.

I'm TIRED. I just want to set a folder of my choosing full of wallpapers for the lock screen to display on slideshow. NOTHING works and I need a damned ANSWER. NOW. Or I'm going to drive to Redmond and kill someone. At the very least, I'm going to send a few kilobits of viscious profanity to some poor feedback intern...

As far as I can tell, the slideshow works. But it is being hidden behind whatever the last file chosen for the "Picture" option is. When I unlock, I get a momentary flicker of one of the wallpapers from my chosen slideshow, before the login box appears. The rest of the time, the last picture I set for the lock screen - previously the last one chosen at random by the default slideshow before I removed all but my custom folder from the list - is all you can see while the PC is locked.

I created a brand new folder for this in the root of C:\ because literally any other folder on the entire PC that I chose produced "this folder can't be used" or something, presumably a permissions issue where you can't pick something inside your own user profile.

Please don't bother responding if you think this is trivial. Of course it is. But it's so simple, and so very, VERY broken, and there are like 900,000 non-working "solutions" in any Google search, and I'm just beyond frustrated at this point. Now this is an issue of spite. Complicated networking issues shouldn't be this hard, let alone simple cosmetic settings...

submitted by /u/Or0b0ur0s
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Or0b0ur0s, Oct 23, 2020
  2. Aqtarus Win User

you need more than one picture to show error with Lock screen Slideshow

Hi Microsoft Community,

I had this issue for years and did not find any solution: workaround with Win+L, Indexing, etc... nothing was working.

But the solution is quite simple: store the folder you want to use for the picture for your slideshow directly under the Picture Library. Check that the files are indexed, and then select this folder.

To be 100% clear

1. Open the Pictures Library (User/Pictures)
    2. Create a folder "Slideshow"
    3. Populate the folder with picture you want to use for Lock Screen
    4. Check the pictures are indexed
    5. Go to Settings/Personalization/Lock Screen
    6. Select Slideshow for Background
    7. Choose Folder "Slideshow" created in step 2
    8. remove other folders
    9. Open Advanced slideshow settings
    10. Turn "Only use pictures that fit my screen" Off
    11. Enjoy your slideshow!

Aqtarus, Oct 23, 2020
  3. Kol12 Win User
    Issue with lock screen slideshow

I set my lock screen to slideshow with a custom folder of images and all was working fine. I then changed it to picture mode which by default is five Windows pictures. I've set it back to slideshow with my custom images however the default Windows picture I chose in picture mode now shows in my slideshow with custom images. How can I repair this?

Lock screen slideshow works only with built-in Windows pictures, nothing else [​IMG]

Kol12, Oct 23, 2020
  4. Lock screen slideshow works only with built-in Windows pictures, nothing else

Lock screen picture overlays slideshow

Hi, my issue with Windows 10x64 1803 Lock screen slideshow not working is a bit different than usual

When the issue occurs (not always, but almost always), the screen shows the defined Picture (and no clock etc.) _however_ when I press Enter, before showing the lockscreen as the overlaying picture is sliding away I can see a flicker of the slideshow underneath.
    These are pictures from the correct folder and it looks as expected. After the flicker it shows the login screen with a picture

(login screen is kinda OK but half the time accounts (two) are doubled (making it 4), they differ in that in each pair one of the user pictures has a circle shape and the other is square, and the square ones have extra text underneath "Windows will try to
    connect to {companyName}" .... I don't know if this is the cause or something completely unrelated ... but this question is about slideshow)

I have done lot of the usual steps (most of these relate to slideshow not working at all which isn't my issue anyway):

- remove the slideshow, lock, re-add it

- rename the slideshow folder

- changed settings in Power options (only Balanced is in the list) for Desktop background settings for battery to Available

- adjusted Advanced settings for slideshow to show not fitting images, show on battery, show lockscreen instead of turning off

- require user to press CtrlAltDelete is unchecked and disabled

- Windows Search is set to Automatic and running

- folder with images is indexed

No Windows updates pending atm

Restart didn't help

Ideally if this can be solved without restoration or reinstall or something of that caliber hopefully

Thank you!

JiriPetruzelka, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

Lock screen slideshow works only with built-in Windows pictures, nothing else

1. Lock screen slideshow works only with built-in Windows pictures, nothing else - Similar Threads - Lock screen slideshow

2. Lock Screen Slideshow not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock Screen Slideshow not working: I am trying to use the 'Slideshow' mode in 'Lock Screen' settings but the slide show only appears when my laptop goes to the lock screen automatically. If I press any button to go to the 'sign-in' menu or restart my laptop or press Windows + L, the 'Picture' mode appears...
  3. Lock Screen Slideshow not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock Screen Slideshow not working: I am trying to use the 'Slideshow' mode in 'Lock Screen' settings but the slide show only appears when my laptop goes to the lock screen automatically. If I press any button to go to the 'sign-in' menu or restart my laptop or press Windows + L, the 'Picture' mode appears...
  4. Locks Screen slideshow not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locks Screen slideshow not working: As title says, locks screen is STILL BROKEN after 3 YEARS or more. I've fixed it after last reinstall somehow. After installing Win11 i was kind of hopeful that this would actually get fixed LOL XD. How do i fix this?What i've tried:Picture folder is working, desktop...
  5. Locks Screen slideshow not working

Locks Screen slideshow not working: As title says, locks screen is STILL BROKEN after 3 YEARS or more. I've fixed it after last reinstall somehow. After installing Win11 i was kind of hopeful that this would actually get fixed LOL XD. How do i fix this?What i've tried:Picture folder is working, desktop...
  6. slideshow on lock screen not working

slideshow on lock screen not working: I have set up a slideshow on the lock screen on windows 11 and assigned a folder of photos to it but when I go to the lock screen to check if it is working or not. The slideshow is not working and the photo which shows on the screen is from the picture option on the lock...
  7. slideshow on lock screen not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    slideshow on lock screen not working: I have set up a slideshow on the lock screen on windows 11 and assigned a folder of photos to it but when I go to the lock screen to check if it is working or not. The slideshow is not working and the photo which shows on the screen is from the picture option on the lock...
  8. microphone only works in skype but nothing else

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microphone only works in skype but nothing else: Hi there, I am having a problem with windows recognizing my microphone. As the title suggests it can not be used for any application other than Skype have tried with Zoom, Camtasia, Audacity, and Discord. I am using an AT202 mic and a Behringer interface. They both appear...
  9. Lock Screen slideshow not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock Screen slideshow not working: I have seen this question asked many times over the 4 years since Windows 10 came out. Those questions are now locked so I'm asking again - I have tried many different "solutions" to this problem and the best I have managed is a manual workaround. When the laptop is left,...
  10. Lock screen picture overlays slideshow

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock screen picture overlays slideshow: Hi, my issue with Windows 10x64 1803 Lock screen slideshow not working is a bit different than usual When the issue occurs (not always, but almost always), the screen shows the defined Picture (and no clock etc.) _however_ when I press Enter, before showing the lockscreen...