Windows 10: Locked every drive on my pc under controlled folder protection ransomware

Discus and support Locked every drive on my pc under controlled folder protection ransomware in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I just got to know about ransomware attacks so yesterday I was going through settings on my windows 10 pc I found ransomware protection and I enabled... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sachin9, May 28, 2021.

1. Sachin9 Win User

Locked every drive on my pc under controlled folder protection ransomware

I just got to know about ransomware attacks so yesterday I was going through settings on my windows 10 pc I found ransomware protection and I enabled controlled folder access. to make it worse I put every drive on my pc under it. now I suppose everything is under that so i can't even turn it off. is there any way to undo this without erasing everything and doing a fresh install on my pc?just noticed opening task manager shows an error " the extended attributes are inconsistent"

:)

Sachin9, May 28, 2021

2. Locking a folder against ransomware

Can a folder be locked, with password protection, to block encryption ransomware from changing it?

ArmchairThinker, May 28, 2021
  3. Malware and ransomware protection

First things first:

1.) If you’re using Windows Defender, then the first thing you need to do is turn on Windows Defender’s new built-in
    Ransomware Protection – known as “Controlled Folder Access” (it’s disabled by default):

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/mi...-folder-access/?ocid=cx-blog-mmpc?source=mmpc

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...guard/enable-controlled-folders-exploit-guard

2.) The next thing you should do is prepare for the worst by creating a backup of all of your personal files on a removable hard drive, flash drive, or recordable disk – and then disconnect the drive. If you have
    additional PCs, you can transfer your backups to those PCs. Once everything is backed up to an external device, you’re prepared to make a complete recovery in the event that your files
    are rendered inaccessible by malware or encrypted by ransomware. No one can destroy all of your personal files, or hold them hostage, if you just have your own copies of those files. It's really just that simple. So it should
    be reassuring to know that there is a surefire way to prevent the loss of import data and documents
    – because the threat landscape is evolving so rapidly that there’s really never any surefire way to prevent a malware or ransomware attack. "Back up your files" has always been the
    prime directive for any sound security strategy:

https://www.howtogeek.com/174343/ra...-is-so-dangerous-and-how-to-protect-yourself/

3.) Then, as time permits, you can go ahead and educate yourself to your heart’s content about all of the proper steps and strategies for avoiding malware and ransomware – keeping in mind, of course, that things are moving
    so fast that a good fraction of what you read will already be outdated –
    and remembering always these ancient words of wisdom: "The most profound knowledge of how to avoid pitfalls is of little use to a man trapped in a storm sewer".

GreginMich, May 28, 2021
  4. Locked every drive on my pc under controlled folder protection ransomware

Jsssssssss, May 28, 2021
Thema:

Locked every drive on my pc under controlled folder protection ransomware

1. Locked every drive on my pc under controlled folder protection ransomware - Similar Threads - Locked every drive

2. Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on: I recently was looking through my Windows Security and when I opened ransomware protection the toggle was in the off position. I've tried repeatedly clicking on the toggle to turn it on and nothing happens. Is there anything I can do about this or is this normal since I have...
  3. Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security Ransomware Protection Controlled folder access Can't toggle on: I recently was looking through my Windows Security and when I opened ransomware protection the toggle was in the off position. I've tried repeatedly clicking on the toggle to turn it on and nothing happens. Is there anything I can do about this or is this normal since I have...
  4. Locking a folder against ransomware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Locking a folder against ransomware: Can a folder be locked, with password protection, to block encryption ransomware from changing it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/locking-a-folder-against-ransomware/47a14409-a217-4ea8-927b-017abec67810
  5. Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) in Windows 10: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TeamsMe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gqba9o/controlled_folder_access_ransomware_protection_in/
  6. Ransomware Protection: How to use Controlled folder access?

Ransomware Protection: How to use Controlled folder access?: Nowadays, ransomwares are considered great risks for users. They infect system and encrypt your files and ask you to pay money to gives you the key to decrypt them. Even if you made payment, there is no guarantee to get back all your files and paying them would make...
  7. Sub-folders in ransomware protection

Sub-folders in ransomware protection: I want to add a folder with sub-folders in it to be protected with Windows 10 ransomware protection. Is enough to add the root folder in ransomware protected folder options in order that all of its subfolders are also protected? Or do I have to add each sub-folder...
  8. Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and...

Why is Controlled Folder Access (Ransomware Protection) blocking system services and...: When I was on build 1809 with ransomware protection enabled, I only got alerts for 3rd party programs trying to write to the controlled folders. Friday, Windows updated to 1903, and now I'm getting alerts that it is blocking Windows system files and services from protected...
  9. Bug in Ransomware Protected Folders?

Bug in Ransomware Protected Folders?: I have a list of 13 folders (from different drives) in the Ransomware "Protected Folders" feature. Although the feature can be disabled completely, while enabled I can only remove 2 of the "Protected Folders" on the list. I cannot remove/delete the others. I tried...
  10. Ransomware Protection for Windows PC?

in Windows 10 Support
    Ransomware Protection for Windows PC?: This is brand spanking new software and cautious that I am I will probably wait until the next version comes out before installing but I am curious if anyone else has come across this yet and decided to give it a go and install it....