Windows 10: "Locked for editing..." by a generic username, not the named user

Discus and support "Locked for editing..." by a generic username, not the named user in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, Recently we've upgraded a number of devices from Windows 7 / Office 2010 to Windows 10 / Office 365 Click to Run. Prior to this the users in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by James Chadd, Sep 11, 2019.

1. "Locked for editing..." by a generic username, not the named user

Hi,

Recently we've upgraded a number of devices from Windows 7 / Office 2010 to Windows 10 / Office 365 Click to Run.

Prior to this the users in question had a number of shared files that are located/stored on a network share. Whenever a file was locked, the person to whom the file was locked was named correctly.

Since the move to Win 10 / O365, they're now prompted with a generic name, rather than the specific username.

Ideally we'd look at migrating the files to an Office 365 Group and utilise co-authoring, but I am wondering if there might be anything else simple that might have caused this or that I could attempt to fix it? I have looked online around all this and it appears to be a perverbial mine field.

Thank you.

:)

James Chadd, Sep 11, 2019
  2. Kreij Win User

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Windows User name for administrator

Hi Tony,

If you wish to rename the Administrator account, you must first be logged on as the administrator to change the account name. Here are the steps on how to change the account username.

Method 1: Change Local user account name.

• Press Windows key + R > type netplwiz
      > OK.
    • The User Accounts window will pop up, click User tab, then select the account that you'd like to change the name >
      Properties.
    • On the General tab, enter the your desired user name >
      Apply
      > OK.
    • Restart your computer.

Method 2: Change the user account if you're using a Microsoft account.

• Go to Settings.
    • Select Accounts > Your Info.
    • Click Manage my Microsoft account. This will take you to Microsoft account settings page.
    • Select Edit name, then change the first and last name , and click
      Save.
    • Restart your computer.

Feel free to post back should you need further assistance.

**If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.**

Rachelle Gra, Sep 11, 2019
  4. "Locked for editing..." by a generic username, not the named user

Sign on screen User Name is wrong

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• How many user account do you have on your system?
    • Are you able to log-in to the system?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps. I suggest you to remove the username from Credential Manager and check.

• Type credential Manager on the Windows search bar and select Credential Manager.
    • Now try removing the user name and password by clicking on the credential.
    Hope this helps. Let us know the result.

Billion Debbarma, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

"Locked for editing..." by a generic username, not the named user

1. "Locked for editing..." by a generic username, not the named user - Similar Threads - Locked editing generic

2. Minecraft Java Edition Username

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft Java Edition Username: I want to apologize if I'm posting this in an incorrect place. I don't know how to get help with my issue and Bing AI led me here.I can't play Java Edition of Minecraft because they want me to create a new username. I already created one before and played the game for a...
  3. Minecraft Java Edition Username

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minecraft Java Edition Username: I want to apologize if I'm posting this in an incorrect place. I don't know how to get help with my issue and Bing AI led me here.I can't play Java Edition of Minecraft because they want me to create a new username. I already created one before and played the game for a...
  4. File is locked for editing by "another user"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File is locked for editing by "another user": Users reported that files are locked for editing by "another user", but actually no one is using those files.We are using the NetApp OnTapp File server and they said that it is not a storage issue.How can we solve the issue?...
  5. Unrecognised Username in Generic Credentials for SSO_POP_Device

Unrecognised Username in Generic Credentials for SSO_POP_Device: Whilst trying to resolve a different problem of Windows 10 Outlook 2010 suddenly repeatedly asking me to reenter my password for one of my POP3 email account, during which I found a suggested solution was to delete any Outlook related credentials, I discovered an unrecognised...
  6. "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>"

"C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>": "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>" refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and...
  7. Editing Microsoft Username

Editing Microsoft Username: I'm trying to add my name on my Microsoft profile but it keeps showing me "Sorry, that name includes a word or phrase we don’t allow" and there's no other name I can use, my name "Excel" is being rejected, my surname "Abioye" is also being rejected. its really tiring and...
  8. Creating a link to a folder with a generic username

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating a link to a folder with a generic username: Hi there, apologies if this is obvious but I just can't seem to find the answer! I want to send a series of emails with a hyperlink to a folder but the link contains each person's username. e.g. if I send: C:\Users\simon\Autotask Workplace\Marketing\Audio When they...
  9. The document is locked for editing by another user problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    The document is locked for editing by another user problem: Hi all I have a problem where one of our users cannot always see the name of another user that currently has a file open that they also want to edit. When the user receives the message "The document is locked for editing by another user" if the message displays the username...
  10. User Account with username "user"

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account with username "user": I need to create user with username "user" but Windows 10 won't let me. I delete user folder in users folder and open: Settings->Accounts->Family & other users->Add someone else to this PC->(click on link)The person I want to add doesn't habe an email address->(click on...