Windows 10: locked in "local administrator" account, can't access anything

Discus and support locked in "local administrator" account, can't access anything in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Someone fixed my laptop screen that was disconnected then tried to keep the laptop. When I finally got it back, they had changed the user accounts and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AmirthaDileepan, Feb 21, 2019.

1. locked in "local administrator" account, can't access anything

Someone fixed my laptop screen that was disconnected then tried to keep the laptop. When I finally got it back, they had changed the user accounts and password on windows. I was somehow able to log into an administrator account (with the password for my original user/admin account). but this administrator doesn't have any of my files or settings or anything. When I go to the user accounts, there are none listed and I get an error if I try to add a new user.

I tried doing a system reset, but now my password doesn't work even for the blank "local administrator" account. I get an error that says "your account has been disabled please see your system administrator" I can only log in if I use safe mode, but even then I can't seem to do anything. There is no wifi connection so I haven't been able to update drivers. I also don't have an ethernet port to get wired access, but I am trying to transfer some updated drivers on a usb port.

I know my old files (videos, pictures, music) are still on there somewhere, at least I can see the files, but if I try to open anything I get this error message "xyz can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again." But then of course there is no other account that I can make or that already exists that I can use.

My next thought was to try completely resetting the windows and erasing all my files, but I wanted to see if there was anything to try and possibly save what's on the hard drive. Has anyone had any issues like this? Thanks!

:)

AmirthaDileepan, Feb 21, 2019

2. Local account to administrator

Just to be straight with terminology.

You can set up your device with a local account or Microsoft account.

Within each of these options you can then either be an Administrator or a Standard user.

If you go Start, Settings, Account and click on Your Info is it listing you as a local account and just below that are you Standard or Administrator.

Caledon Ken, Feb 21, 2019
  3. Linking Microsoft Account to my Local Account Caused me to Lose Administrator Access

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to login to your temporary user account, enable built in administrator account and try to change the account settings.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.

• Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt.

• Type the following command and hit Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Step 2: Follow the below steps,

• Type User Accounts in the Search box from the desktop and select
      Change the User Accounts.

• Here you will be able to see all the user accounts on your computer.

• Select the User account and see if it is a Standard user account or Administrator.

• If it is standard user then, change it to Administrator.

• Now, log out from the Built-in Administrator account and try to log-in with your Administrator account.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 21, 2019
  4. angus Win User

locked in "local administrator" account, can't access anything

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Feb 21, 2019
Thema:

locked in "local administrator" account, can't access anything

1. locked in "local administrator" account, can't access anything - Similar Threads - locked local administrator

2. Locked out of local administrator's account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of local administrator's account: I'm currently logged out of my local administrator account and I don't know the password to it. It seems there is no way to reset it from a non-administrator account and I don't have a password reset disk. I need to be able to have administrator access for work but can't make...
  3. Locked out of local administrator's account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out of local administrator's account: I'm currently logged out of my local administrator account and I don't know the password to it. It seems there is no way to reset it from a non-administrator account and I don't have a password reset disk. I need to be able to have administrator access for work but can't make...
  4. Locked out of local administrator's account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Locked out of local administrator account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Locked out of local administrator account: Window Version 1803 My Windows 10 local account has been locked out on a stand-alone offline computer. It is the administrator account and the only account on the PC. I cannot get back in as the account lockout duration was set to "0" - permanently locked until administrator...
  6. Locked out of local administrator account

in Windows 10 Support
    Locked out of local administrator account: Window Version 1803 My Windows 10 local account has been locked out on a stand-alone offline computer. It is the administrator account and the only account on the PC. I cannot get back in as the account lockout duration was set to "0" - permanently locked until administrator...
  7. Can't access Desktop of Local Account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't access Desktop of Local Account: When I log into my main account on Windows 10, I'm greeted with a black blank screen. It looks like the account's been reset. None of my programs are on the task bar, and an error message appears. The message stays up for like a second, then it and the task bar disappear,...
  8. Can't download anything due to no administrator account.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't download anything due to no administrator account.: I got this Toshiba laptop and basically whenever I try to download anything (software, applications etc) It pops up with a message saying "You need to be an Administrator to install applications on this computer" or something along those lines. So when i go into the user...
  9. Can't access anything Administrator required

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't access anything Administrator required: I got a new computer, and was customizing settings. I activated the default Administrator account, and used that for stuff I needed permission for. I finished and signed out, and from my account ran the net user administrator /active:no command on an administrator command...
  10. Can't access anything with administrator password!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't access anything with administrator password!: Hello, We upgraded our to 50mbs yesterday. I got a new modem so it required you to put in a new network name and password. I setup our xbox 1X, ps4, ps3, 3 smartphones and our tablet but when I set up my laptop it wouldnt let me access the internet so I set up a new...