Windows 10: Locked myself out of my C: w/ permissions

Discus and support Locked myself out of my C: w/ permissions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Okay so... I was talking to a Microsoft service person via direct message last night. They had me change the permissions on my C Drive, so I can fix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MaesterAelix, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Locked myself out of my C: w/ permissions

Okay so...

I was talking to a Microsoft service person via direct message last night. They had me change the permissions on my C Drive, so I can fix the "all my new folders are stuck on "Read Only" issue.

BUT something went wrong....

And now I don't have permission to view or anything my C: Drive.

As you can imagine this really, really, REALLY sucks...

I have tried to "Reset this PC" but it doesn't work. I've tried to Advanced Startup to reset the PC, and that doesn't work.
    I've tried to create a new local account - but the computer times out and gives me an error.

Pleas help! I'm at my wits end ~_~

:)

MaesterAelix, Oct 31, 2019

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Oct 31, 2019
  3. xp ntfs permissions erased - help!

NEVER, ever, remove FULL CONTROL permissions in the Access Control Lists/rights priveleges from:

• Administators Group
    • YOUR local Administrator User
    • SYSTEM
    on NTFS rights on your disks (via Explorer.exe rightclick properties menu, security tab) that use that filesystem, OR in the REGISTRY either, via rightclick on HIVES/KEYS permissions popup menu options...

(Sure way to lock yourself out, period, & I have done it myself early on w/ NTFS filesystems &/or the Registry before... only way to learn sometimes, is making mistakes!)

* Keep this in mind, those of you that start experimenting w/ security @ these 2 levels!

APK

P.S.=> Leaving them @ FULL POWER, in both areas, usually 9/10 times allows you to get back into your rig (logging on as your LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR USER, to fix it), & make alterations to rights/acl's as needed, to "get it right", eventually... especially when you're still learning/experimenting! apk

Alec§taar, Oct 31, 2019
  4. Locked myself out of my C: w/ permissions

Windows 10 Lock Icon

I am having issues being able to paste files into a folder that has a lock icon on it. I am not the owner of the folder, my boss is. I am using Windows Pro 10 and my boss is using Windows 8.1. I can open files contained within the folder but cannot paste files into the folder. I have opened properties and gone to the security tab and I am listed within the Group or user names list and my permissions are all at allow. Any suggestions?

wsquality1, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

Locked myself out of my C: w/ permissions

1. Locked myself out of my C: w/ permissions - Similar Threads - Locked myself permissions

2. Locked myself out of my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked myself out of my desktop: Recently I wondered what would happen if I locked my desktop remotely via account.microsoft.com/devices/find-my-device, as seen in screenshot 1. This was partly because it according to microsoft was located in a town 20 km from where it was actually located. Ironically...
  3. Locked myself out of my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked myself out of my desktop: Recently I wondered what would happen if I locked my desktop remotely via account.microsoft.com/devices/find-my-device, as seen in screenshot 1. This was partly because it according to microsoft was located in a town 20 km from where it was actually located. Ironically...
  4. Locked myself out of my computer.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Locked myself out of my computer.: I thought someone had access to my Microsoft acct and blocked their computer.. Unfortunately it was my computer. Now I can't get back in. It ask for a pin but tells me an administrator has restricted sign in. I can not sign in at all. I won't even start in safe mode. I need...
  5. Locked myself out of my computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked myself out of my computer.: I thought someone had access to my Microsoft acct and blocked their computer.. Unfortunately it was my computer. Now I can't get back in. It ask for a pin but tells me an administrator has restricted sign in. I can not sign in at all. I won't even start in safe mode. I need...
  6. Locked myself out of my computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Locked myself out of C:?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Locked myself out of C:?: So basically when i was trying to get rid of a virus i deleted everyone's permission to my hard drive so it doesn't get hacked. There's only "administrator/my desktop name" and it says "C:/ is not available, access denied" when i try to open it. 178050
  8. Accidentally Locked Myself Out Of Administrator.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Accidentally Locked Myself Out Of Administrator.: I know, this was quite dumb of me. I didn't know what was going to happen, so here goes. Yesterday, I tried to fix something in my administrator settings, and my only account is just a guest user. I've tried all I could, using the regedit and the SAM file stuff, and I tried...
  9. locked myself out of my microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    locked myself out of my microsoft account: Hi, I tried logging into our Microsoft account this morning and my login wanted me to verify my information. I was supposed to get a code to my work email address but I didn't get an email. So I tried to verify by getting a code to my cell phone. I got a code but when I tried...
  10. Locked myself out of my C: through denying all sharing settings to "Everyone"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Locked myself out of my C: through denying all sharing settings to "Everyone": Hello, yesterday I was trying to make it so I could access my second pc from my main pc, and in doing so somehow ended up making an "Everyone" permission and setting all the permissions to deny, and saving. Doing so has made my C: inaccessible, except for my desktop (off...