Windows 10: Locked myself out remote windows server 2012 with NordVPN

Discus and support Locked myself out remote windows server 2012 with NordVPN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Is there any way to like remote reboot the sucker, so i can get on it again. Lesson learn don't use VPN on a remote server *Biggrin I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sbh7600, Dec 9, 2019.

1. sbh7600 Win User

Locked myself out remote windows server 2012 with NordVPN

Hello,

Is there any way to like remote reboot the sucker, so i can get on it again. Lesson learn don't use VPN on a remote server *Biggrin

I can't get to the version number *cry

:)

sbh7600, Dec 9, 2019
  2. RDF_111 Win User

Bug in Windows Server 2012

I believe I've found a bug with Windows Server 2012. I would be interested to see if anyone can replicate this or offer solutions.

To replicate the bug:

1) 1) Log into Windows Server 2012

2) 2) Open a word processor or Office application. Libre writer or Word will do

3) 3) Turn on caps lock

4) 4) Holding SHIFT, type the first letter of a word. Then release SHIFT and type the rest of the word.
    For example, this could look like “tEST”

5) 5) Press the space bar. The word “tEST” should autocorrect to “Test” (expected behavior).

The unexpected behavior is that the caps lock is now reversed. If you have an LED light on your keyboard, it will incorrectly indicate that caps lock is on, and vice versa. To undo the bug you need to click outside of the application or redo the above steps.
    It’s minor issue, to be sure, but our users understandably are complaining about this nuisance (for boring internal reasons, they type in caps a lot).

This affects our thin clients--which remote into that type of server—and myself, when working on it for testing. It does not occur on other servers that are not Win 2012 R2. It occurs in both Libre and Office 365 apps, which is why I don’t think it’s an
    Office bug.

This link points to the culprit being the "Remote Desktop Keyboard Device" (viewable under device manager), which comes standard with Windows Servers 2012 and 2012 R2. I don’t like its offered solution to disable AutoCorrect, a helpful feature.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...y-inverts-characters-in-a-remote-desktop-sess

Any ideas?

RDF_111, Dec 9, 2019
  3. Server 2012

IF you want to try seizing the FSMO roles to see if it will help, here is a quick guide (this should be done on the DC you want to keep):

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...ation-master-roles-in-windows-server-2012-r2/

Knowing that this is a DC now I'm really convinced that something is wrong with the AD account for this particular server. It's possible that the promotion to a DC didn't work correctly leaving you with a sort of broken DC.

A reboot is always worth a shot; has that been tried Ahhzz? If it has, then the next step would be to demote this DC and rejoin it to the domain. Once rejoined you can run DCPromo again. Microsoft best practice is to have at least 2 DCs for redundancy.

Wastedslayer, Dec 9, 2019
  4. suraswami Win User

suraswami, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Locked myself out remote windows server 2012 with NordVPN - Similar Threads - Locked myself remote

2. Locked myself out of my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked myself out of my desktop: Recently I wondered what would happen if I locked my desktop remotely via account.microsoft.com/devices/find-my-device, as seen in screenshot 1. This was partly because it according to microsoft was located in a town 20 km from where it was actually located. Ironically...
  3. Locked myself out of my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked myself out of my desktop: Recently I wondered what would happen if I locked my desktop remotely via account.microsoft.com/devices/find-my-device, as seen in screenshot 1. This was partly because it according to microsoft was located in a town 20 km from where it was actually located. Ironically...
  4. Locked myself out of my computer.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Locked myself out of my computer.: I thought someone had access to my Microsoft acct and blocked their computer.. Unfortunately it was my computer. Now I can't get back in. It ask for a pin but tells me an administrator has restricted sign in. I can not sign in at all. I won't even start in safe mode. I need...
  5. Locked myself out of my computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked myself out of my computer.: I thought someone had access to my Microsoft acct and blocked their computer.. Unfortunately it was my computer. Now I can't get back in. It ask for a pin but tells me an administrator has restricted sign in. I can not sign in at all. I won't even start in safe mode. I need...
  6. Locked myself out of my computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Locked myself out of C:?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Locked myself out of C:?: So basically when i was trying to get rid of a virus i deleted everyone's permission to my hard drive so it doesn't get hacked. There's only "administrator/my desktop name" and it says "C:/ is not available, access denied" when i try to open it. 178050
  8. Accidentally Locked Myself Out Of Administrator.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Accidentally Locked Myself Out Of Administrator.: I know, this was quite dumb of me. I didn't know what was going to happen, so here goes. Yesterday, I tried to fix something in my administrator settings, and my only account is just a guest user. I've tried all I could, using the regedit and the SAM file stuff, and I tried...
  9. locking myself out of time settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    locking myself out of time settings: Background: Hi I'm using an app called cold turkey to block problematic distractions while I'm working but it doesn't work that well since it doesn't block myself from changing the time settings (i.e. I can circumvent a block by making it 'next year now'). The guy who wrote...
  10. Server 2012 & Remote Server Admin Tools

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Server 2012 & Remote Server Admin Tools: I'm trying to install RAST for Server 2012r2. The first time I ran it it installed KB2693643 but after that nothing happens. I restarted, went to Programs & Features, Turn Windows features on or off and RSAT is not there. I tried boot to safe mode with networking as this has...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. locked myslef out of server 2012