Windows 10: Locked out after interrupted update

Discus and support Locked out after interrupted update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was in a hurry, and shut down Windows 10 during an update. Now I am locked out. My password does not work. I turned the laptop off 3 times at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ColliJim, Apr 9, 2017.

1. ColliJim Win User

Locked out after interrupted update

I was in a hurry, and shut down Windows 10 during an update.
    Now I am locked out. My password does not work.

I turned the laptop off 3 times at the login screen and on the 4th start I was in Safe Mode. I selected a restore option and was asked for my password. It was accepted, so it is still good.

It appears that the problem is a defective login process. Is there any way, short of a reinstall, of fixing it?

It would be *really* nice if MS would tell what was preventing shutdown. I've hated messages that just say there is a problem, but give no details, since day 1.

:)

ColliJim, Apr 9, 2017

2. WhatsApp loosing background connection

Nope, problem is still there... even after reinstalling whatsapp.

I just found out by pinging from my WiFi router that being with screen locked, the connection from the phone to the router is interrupted every time to time... This does not happens with the screen unlocked. May be a symptom of some issue? Some bad configuration?

J.S.Richard, Apr 9, 2017
  3. SteveK255 Win User
    Windows 10 AU Lock Screen

Toshiba L55W-C, Windows 10 (AU) Ver. 1607 build 14393.82

After the upgrade to AU, the only key capable of interrupting the Lock Screen, to enable a password, is the left touch pad key (or left mouse key). Is there a way to enable all keyboard keys to generate an interrupt?

SteveK255, Apr 9, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you have a previously created system image or disk image, a routine procedure we strongly and repeatedly advocate, you will be quickly and easily able to restore your PC from your previously created image set, held on external storage.

If you have nothing like that (e.g. created by Windows Backup and Restore, Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, Aomei Backupper.....), you are in significant difficulty.

There's a very much outside chance you might get your PC to boot normally by restoring the backup copy of the registry, but there's absolutely no guarantee of that.

If you did get that far, I think you would find inconsistencies with your system files which would probably need an in-place upgrade repair install (which is like Windows installation but keeps almost everything) and can only be run after a normal boot.

dalchina, Apr 9, 2017
  5. ColliJim Win User
    Thanks. I was hoping for a way to continue the update.
    I'm sure I cloned the disk after I upgraded to 10, but I cannot find it...

ColliJim, Apr 10, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can try creating a new local account with administrator privileges. I would look at doing option 6 while booted in safe mode:
    Add User Account in Windows 10 - Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Make sure to change the new local account to an administrator.

The if you can log into the new account in normal mode, not safe mode, you can do an in place upgrade repair install.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Locked out after interrupted update - Similar Threads - Locked interrupted update

2. USB greyed out after format interrupted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB greyed out after format interrupted: Hi,I was formatting quick format not selected a USB drive and it got accidentally disconnected from the machine. Now the USB is greyed out in My PC and the PC doesn't seem to recognise it all. So far I have to no avail tried to:1 - Uninstall USB Mass Storage Device in Device...
  3. USB greyed out after format interrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB greyed out after format interrupted: Hi,I was formatting quick format not selected a USB drive and it got accidentally disconnected from the machine. Now the USB is greyed out in My PC and the PC doesn't seem to recognise it all. So far I have to no avail tried to:1 - Uninstall USB Mass Storage Device in Device...
  4. USB greyed out after format interrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lock out of computer after updated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock out of computer after updated: Hi, so I recently updated my computer, and once it restarted it doesn't allow me to enter in my original old pin code. It says "your pin is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. click to set up your pin again. Unfortunately I don't have...
  6. Lock out of computer after updated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock out of computer after updated: Hi, so I recently updated my computer, and once it restarted it doesn't allow me to enter in my original old pin code. It says "your pin is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. click to set up your pin again. Unfortunately I don't have...
  7. Locked out of laptop after running update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Locked out of laptop after running update: My husband updated our laptop several weeks ago. Afterwards, my pin to login no longer worked and I can't reset it. The problem may be related to the email associated with my account. I was hacked and had to shut it down. I did not inform Microsoft of this. I tried to recover...
  8. Locked out after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Locked out after update: My laptop ran the update last night and since then, I've been locked out. When I next switched it on, at the login there was a dialogue box asking me to sign in to my Microsoft Account rather than just my usual security password. Then another box asking me to set a pass key;...
  9. Drive C: is locked after interrupted standby

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drive C: is locked after interrupted standby: Hello, I am in the process of installing windows on a new drive, but I continued using the old drive until I got everything set up, all programs installed and files transfered., for the installation process I changed the boot order but I forgot to change it back. So I...
  10. Locked out after the April update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Locked out after the April update: I have done the April update and I am locked out of everything. I cannot change anything What do I do? All security tells me I don't have permission. I want Control Back In My possession I have an HP Envy Touch smart Sleek book. all biometrics are gone this computer has been...