Windows 10: Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7

Discus and support Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. Need help urgently. Have been locked out after upgrading from W7 to W10. No Microsoft account. Please help. 17346 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pater1946, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Pater1946 Win User

Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7

Hello. Need help urgently. Have been locked out after upgrading from W7 to W10. No Microsoft account. Please help.

:)

Pater1946, Aug 17, 2015
  2. Juli_AA Win User

Locked out after upgrade from W7 to W10

I did not know this was not MS. I saw MS staff replying in others posts and jumped to the conclusion. Thanks for replying.

I get the login screen and at first my regular Administrator user show up. I type in the password, it says the account has been disabled and this account disappears from the options. Another account with my name shows up, which I suppose is the account linked
    to my Live/MS account, where I registered Office. Well, the password for this account does not work either (the password is incorrect. Please try again). I have tried changing the pwd online, and neither the old nor the new one works.

Juli_AA, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Juli_AA Win User
    Locked out after upgrade from W7 to W10

Hello,

I have found old questions similar to mine, but none with a satisfactory response, so I am basically pasting a copy of one of them. I have looked online and cannot find a solution. This should not be something I have to solve through 2-hour blind attempts.
    THERE SHOULD BE A WARNING DURING THE INSTALL PROCESS.

I have been logging in to Windows 7 as administrator since I installed it several years ago.

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and the administrator account is missing at the login screen.

How do I log in?

Why did you disable the administrator account without asking permission to do so?

How do I activate it again so I can log in?

This is so frustrating. Why would you (MS) do something as rude as this?

Juli_AA, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Rudy Mas Win User

The most common reason for this happening, is that the wrong keyboard layout is used.

After typing in your password, check it by clicking on the eye-icon and see if your password is correct.

If so, and you can't login, well, then you need to hack your way into your account. Search google for utilman.exe trick. (this only works with a local account, so should work for you. *Smile)

Rudy Mas, Aug 17, 2015
  5. Pater1946 Win User
    Tks Rudy. Will try that.

Pater1946, Aug 17, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    WhyMe, Aug 17, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    There used to be trick in old Windows, not sure if it still works. Boot the computer from a live Linux version on DVD or USB. Navigate to your Windows/System32 folder on the drive your Windows is installed on. Rename osk.exe to osk.bak. Copy (don't rename - COPY) cmd.exe and rename the COPY to osk.exe.

Then boot the computer back into Windows normally. When the login screen appears, you select the accessibility option for On Screen Keyboard. This actually launches the command prompt with administrator privileges. Then try netplwiz to make/adjust user accounts. Or there were (don't know if still) net commands you could use to make/change accounts.

I got into a friend's computer that way who had locked himself out of it. The look on his face was priceless.

NavyLCDR, Aug 17, 2015
  8. Pater1946 Win User

Hello Rudy. That did not work for me. Do you have any other suggestions? Pls. advise. Tks.

Pater1946, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Rudy Mas Win User
    You could try the two things the others have suggested.

Although, NavyLCDR option is the same as mine, but with another file. *Smile This should always work on a local account.

but I would use:

net user (this will give you a list of all local users.)
    net user <name> * (This will ask you to enter a new password for user <name>.)

Instead of typing in a password, just press ENTER 2 times. This will remove the password and you should be able to logon without a password. Afterwards, once inside Windows 10, you can add a new password to your account.

Rudy Mas, Aug 17, 2015
  10. Pater1946 Win User
    Hello Guys. Tks for the advise, but the fact is I cannot follow your suggestions, as I am simply locked out of my computer. When I boot it, it goes directly to the log in screen with the password window. I have also created a MS account with the a new password, but that did not solve the problem. Anything else you can advise? Tks again.

Pater1946, Aug 17, 2015
  11. McrRed Win User
    Don't want to derail the thread but I'm in the same position.
    Cmd now requires password before it will work so any old ways of getting in don't work.
    (My daughter's laptop that I upgraded with admin account and privileges that disappeared with the reboot before I realised I needed to set admin active: yes)

McrRed, Aug 17, 2015
  12. Rudy Mas Win User
    To get to the Cmd, you have to boot from an USB stick. It can hold the Windows 10 Recovery Drive, or a Windows 10 setup.

You can create the Recovery Drive inside a working Windows 10. Just search for 'create a recovery drive'. With this one, you can boot from the USB stick, and after choosing the right keyboard, go to troubleshoot, advanced, command prompt.

Now search for your Windows harddrive. (Could be c:, but could also be something else.)

Once you found the drive, type:
    cd \windows\system32
    ren utilman.exe utilman.bak
    copy cmd.exe utilman.exe

Reboot the computer and when you reach the screen were you have to enter your password, click on "Ease of access" icon. Should be the second on the right.

Now you are back in your command prompt.

Type:
    net user (this gives you a list of all the users on the computer. Find the account you can't login to.)
    net user <name account> *

When asked for a password, just press ENTER 2 times. (No password.)

Restart the PC, and now you should be able to logon without the need of a password.

Now you can set a new password through: Start -> Settings ->Accounts -> ...

When you are sure your password works, you then have to repair what you did. *Smile

Boot up with the USB stick again and then go to your windows harddrive:

cd \windows\system32
    del utilman.exe
    ren utilman.bak utilman.exe

Restart.

And now you're done. *Smile

Rudy Mas, Aug 17, 2015
  13. Rudy Mas Win User

If you need to use the Windows 10 setup USB, you set your language and keyboard, press NEXT.

At the bottom left, you click on Repair your computer.
    And then you press <shift>-F10. (The Command Prompt opens.)

Follow the steps above to rename utilman.exe and replace it with a copy of cmd.exe.

Rudy Mas, Aug 17, 2015
  14. WhyMe Win User
    Since you are saying you have zero access to Windows then I suggest you try the 'sticky keys' trick. 'Sticky keys' will, in theory, allow you access to the Accessibility Shortcut Keys via sethc.exe. In effect, you may be able to successfully login to Win10 by pressing the shift button 5 times from within the login screen...create a new password...etc etc

I've never used the 'sticky keys' trick and cannot say it's useful. You could permanently lose access to Windows. It may work in Win10. Apparently effective in win7, win8, 8.1.

WhyMe, Aug 17, 2015
  15. McrRed Win User
    That's what I can't do. I boot into recovery mode and the step where you use cmd dos prompt is denied because now it requires the password before cmd will run. They've closed the loophole. *Sad

McrRed, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7 - Similar Threads - Locked upgrade W10

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. Desktop 'pulsing' after W7 - W10 upgrade...

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Desktop 'pulsing' after W7 - W10 upgrade...: Hello, Having just updated an ASUS laptop by replacing the old hard drive to an SSD and upgraded from W7 to W10 I’m faced with rather an odd problem. When I start the laptop the desktop appears normally but then goes blank, then re-appears then goes off again, 'pulsing'...
  9. Reduced WiFi speeds after w10 upgrade from w7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reduced WiFi speeds after w10 upgrade from w7: Hello! I have a PC with a Belkin Wireless N600 wifi Dongle that I use with a belkin router. I've had this setup for years and have never had trouble until upgrading to Windows 10. Now I'm getting intermittent speeds on my PC only....my chromebook laptop still reports...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...