Windows 10: Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7

Discus and support Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do you boot into recovery mode? Do you boot from the harddisk, or from a USB bootable stick? I'm never asked for a password when I use a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pater1946, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Rudy Mas Win User

Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7

How do you boot into recovery mode? Do you boot from the harddisk, or from a USB bootable stick?

I'm never asked for a password when I use a bootable stick.

UPDATE: Yep, that's your problem. If you use the command prompt from the harddrive recovery, it needs your password. *Smile Just checked it with my netbook.

So, you have to make an USB bootable Recovery Drive with a working Windows 10 or use your USB Windows 10 Installation. Else you won't be able to reset your password.

Rudy Mas, Aug 17, 2015
  2. Pater1946 Win User

Hello Rudy and tks again for your help. You will have to pardon me, but the question I now have is: how do I boot from a USB stick? The ones I have do not have the Windows 10 Recovery, nor the Windows 10 setup. Remember that what I did was to accept the Microsoft free upgrade from Windows 7 that was offered online. So I really do not know how to implement the sequence you suggest.

As for creating a Recovery Drive inside a working Windows 10, that is something I cannot do until I pass the challenge of being able to login into my computer.

So, back to square one. How do I reset the password so that I can access my computer? Sorry to be such a nuisance. Pls advise... if you are still awake!*Smile

Pater1946, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Bazz Win User
    If you have access to a windows 7 install or rescue disk this will also allow you access to the cmd.

4. Rudy Mas Win User

You probably can also use a Windows 7 or 8.1 recovery drive. Any PC you can get your hands on, can produce a working Recovery Drive. *Smile

Bazz gave the answer a few seconds before me. *Tongue

Rudy Mas, Aug 17, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    Yup. You can put together a bootable Windows installation disk on any machine. You can also create a Linux Live disk on another machine and then successfully use an adapted sticky keys method from the Linux disk.

Edit: Just been looking at google, and it seems you can actually get packaged bootable software to fully automize the 'sticky keys' process. No need to enter command prompt....

WhyMe, Aug 17, 2015
  6. sn00ker Win User
    I think he saying he can't create anything since he not able to load windows . So booting from what ever he can't since he doesn't have such . What he needs to do is use someone else PC and create such, then he can boot off it or maybe I miss understood what he was saying *Confused

sn00ker, Aug 17, 2015
  7. WhyMe Win User
    You haven't misunderstood nothing. And that's what we're saying...go to someone else's machine and build the necessary bootable disk(s) there.

WhyMe, Aug 17, 2015
  8. Pater1946 Win User

This is so annoying. I have bought a USB stick and tried to create a recovery drive from a working W10 computer. But somehow, Windows will not allow it! Any ideas/suggestions?

Pater1946, Aug 18, 2015
  9. Bazz Win User
    Make a cd create a system repair disk.

10. Rudy Mas Win User
    Do you get an error message when you try to create the recovery drive?

Rudy Mas, Aug 18, 2015
  11. Bazz Win User
    You can't just make a bootable usb drive, you have to use diskpart to make it bootable.

12. WhyMe Win User
    It doesn't matter what software you use to make the disk bootable, it's being done from another pc.

WhyMe, Aug 18, 2015
  13. Bazz Win User

True but it's much easier and quicker to just create a cd.

14. Rudy Mas Win User
    *Smile No you don't, you have to use Create a Recovery Drive that's delivered with Windows 10 or even Windows 8.1 or 7. It can make a bootable USB without a problem. I just did it on this laptop to test it, before I mentioned it here.

You can even put a system backup on it, so you can use it to install Windows 10 on your system again, if your laptop would crash.

Rudy Mas, Aug 18, 2015
  15. WhyMe Win User
    What software were you trying to put on the disk?

WhyMe, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7 - Similar Threads - Locked upgrade W10

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. Desktop 'pulsing' after W7 - W10 upgrade...

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Desktop 'pulsing' after W7 - W10 upgrade...: Hello, Having just updated an ASUS laptop by replacing the old hard drive to an SSD and upgraded from W7 to W10 I’m faced with rather an odd problem. When I start the laptop the desktop appears normally but then goes blank, then re-appears then goes off again, 'pulsing'...
  9. Reduced WiFi speeds after w10 upgrade from w7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reduced WiFi speeds after w10 upgrade from w7: Hello! I have a PC with a Belkin Wireless N600 wifi Dongle that I use with a belkin router. I've had this setup for years and have never had trouble until upgrading to Windows 10. Now I'm getting intermittent speeds on my PC only....my chromebook laptop still reports...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...