Windows 10: Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7

Discus and support Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What software were you trying to put on the disk? He probably tried to use "Create a Recovery Drive" which is included with Windows. Just press the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pater1946, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Rudy Mas Win User

Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7

He probably tried to use "Create a Recovery Drive" which is included with Windows.

Just press the Start button and type "create a recovery drive" and you will find it. You can also find it in control panel somewhere, but I always use the search function of Windows to find it. I can type faster than I can click the mouse to find it. *Wink

Rudy Mas, Aug 18, 2015
  2. WhyMe Win User

Are...But is he or she following the exact instructions within the TenForums Guide "How to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10"

@Pater1946
    Please check and confirm that you have precisely followed media creation instructions.

WhyMe, Aug 18, 2015
  3. Pater1946 Win User
    I've created a recovery disk and I am now @ the cmd screen. what follows?

Pater1946, Aug 18, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

For some reason my Create Recovery Drive won't work.

5. Rudy Mas Win User
    Rudy Mas, Aug 18, 2015
  6. Pater1946 Win User
    I am following the steps outlined. When on the cmd screen, when I write the net user comd, I get three accounts, Administrator, DefaultAccount(as spelled) and Guest. None of these are the account MATER that is the one I have on that computer. It is also giving me the following message: "The command completed with one or more errors" Where to now? Tks!

Pater1946, Aug 18, 2015
  7. Rudy Mas Win User
    Then you are at the wrong command prompt. *Smile

You boot with the USB stick and then you do this:

Now search for your Windows harddrive. (Could be c:, but could also be something else.)

Once you found the drive, type:
    cd \windows\system32
    ren utilman.exe utilman.bak
    copy cmd.exe utilman.exe

Reboot the computer and when you reach the screen were you have to enter your password, click on "Ease of access" icon. Should be the second on the right.

Now you should see the account you want to reset the password for when you type in net user.

Well, I hope you are at the wrong Command Prompt, because else your user database of Windows is corrupted.

Rudy Mas, Aug 18, 2015
  8. Rudy Mas Win User

If you were at the right command prompt. You could always create a new account.

net user <new name> <password> /add
    net localgroup Administrators <new name> /add

This way, you have made a new administrator account. With this account, you could try to fix your other account.

Rudy Mas, Aug 18, 2015
  9. Pater1946 Win User
    Well, here is what I am doing now. As I could not create a recovery USB stick, utilizing the recovery dvd, I have elected to reset the computer. It is now 8% .... so will see what happens later! Tks a lot for your patience and support. Have a good night!

Pater1946, Aug 18, 2015
  10. Rudy Mas Win User
    No problem. I hope this will fix it for you!

Rudy Mas, Aug 18, 2015
  11. McrRed Win User
    Just to finish my thread hijacking...this completely worked for me. Rudy Mas you were right - the recovery options from harddisk are different to those from usb so the solution you and the others provided to rename utilman.exe still works.
    Created new user.
    Sorted.
    Thanks!

McrRed, Aug 18, 2015
  12. Pater1946 Win User
    Hello Guys. I´m back and this time with very bad news. My computer simply refuses to work, even with the recovery disk. I cannot even reset it. It is giving me a message that states that it cannot be reset. Is there anyway you can suggest me for erasing everything and reloading my w7pro from the original disk provided with the machine when I bought it?

Pater1946, Aug 19, 2015
  13. Pater1946 Win User

I believe its too early for you guys. I'll be back tomorrow morning- my time. Take care.

Pater1946, Aug 19, 2015
  14. Bazz Win User
    Yes you have the product key right, simply boot from the disk and do a custom install deleting all of the partitions and click install.

Personally I would do this offline and when you are up and running enter your product key and do the telephone activate.

15. Pater1946 Win User
    Tks Bazz. Will try that. I am assuming that when you say ..."simply boot from the disk... you are refering to the w7pro original disk, right?

Pater1946, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7 - Similar Threads - Locked upgrade W10

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. Desktop 'pulsing' after W7 - W10 upgrade...

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Desktop 'pulsing' after W7 - W10 upgrade...: Hello, Having just updated an ASUS laptop by replacing the old hard drive to an SSD and upgraded from W7 to W10 I’m faced with rather an odd problem. When I start the laptop the desktop appears normally but then goes blank, then re-appears then goes off again, 'pulsing'...
  9. Reduced WiFi speeds after w10 upgrade from w7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reduced WiFi speeds after w10 upgrade from w7: Hello! I have a PC with a Belkin Wireless N600 wifi Dongle that I use with a belkin router. I've had this setup for years and have never had trouble until upgrading to Windows 10. Now I'm getting intermittent speeds on my PC only....my chromebook laptop still reports...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...