Windows 10: Locked out by BitLocker after failed update

Discus and support Locked out by BitLocker after failed update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I am currently locked out of my Windows 10 laptop (Asus zenbook if that matters) by Bitlocker and I hope you have some ideas how to solve it before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/starsnpixel, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Locked out by BitLocker after failed update

Hi, I am currently locked out of my Windows 10 laptop (Asus zenbook if that matters) by Bitlocker and I hope you have some ideas how to solve it before I give up my data. So I've got two partitions, C and D. C is mostly for software and some limited, not super important data. D is used for photos etc. Both are encrypted by Bitlocker. Copies of the 48-digit recovery keys are stored in C as PDFs (yup, very smart, I know) and I am fairly certain that I also printed them out, I did not upload them to Microsoft, though. Because I had the auto-unlock feature enabled I never thought about storing the keys in a cloud or something like this as I've never had any trouble with this until yesterday. Win10 asked me to install a new update yesterday to which I agreed. But since then, my laptop is unable to boot and to I always end up at the restore screen. And to uninstall the latest update, it wants the 48-digit recovery code, fml! Of course, the printed version is nowhere to be found and I cannot access the PDFs on C because it's locked, obviously. I read that cracking the recovery key by brute force would require a couple of billion years so that's also no option. I already searched the internet and e.g. tried to enter the secured Windows mode but it doesn't start either. Long story short: Does any other method to recover my data come to your mind? I already thought of formatting the partition and then reading the PDFs using software like Partition Wizard (as they won't be overwritten) but it'll still be encrypted so no sense in this, I guess. I'm really hopeless and I feel terribly stupid. I hope you can help me. Locked out by BitLocker after failed update :(

submitted by /u/starsnpixel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/starsnpixel, Jan 1, 2021

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Jan 1, 2021
  3. Bitlocker locked on startup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to try the step under the section "To unlock removable data drive" in the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

For further reference, ask OP to refer to the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/bitlocker-drive-encryption

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jan 1, 2021
  4. Paola Gar Win User

Locked out by BitLocker after failed update

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Jan 1, 2021
Thema:

Locked out by BitLocker after failed update

1. Locked out by BitLocker after failed update - Similar Threads - Locked BitLocker failed

2. Locked out by Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out by Bitlocker: Split from this thread. Good afternoon,I am having similar issues with Bitlocker. I have a HP Envy 360, Win 10.During the Bios Update, a window popped up and asked: Y: to update or N to keep as is. Note: Bit locker code may be required. I did not know where or how to get the...
  3. Locked Out By BitLocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked Out By BitLocker: Hi everyone on here, I have a strange issue. My hard drive got blocked by BitLocker just suddenly on my other Laptop with windows 11 Home. In in order to unlock my hard disc, it requests a key which I never enabled The issue is that I've never set up or installed BitLocker....
  4. Locked Out By BitLocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked Out By BitLocker: Hi everyone on here, I have a strange issue. My hard drive got blocked by BitLocker just suddenly on my other Laptop with windows 11 Home. In in order to unlock my hard disc, it requests a key which I never enabled The issue is that I've never set up or installed BitLocker....
  5. bitlocker locked out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bitlocker locked out: Can not get access to her microsoft account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-locked-out/86cd8156-50da-4228-931e-10baa32db9ae
  6. Locked out by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out by BitLocker: I have no BitLocker recovery key, and my locked device is not registered with my Microsoft account.The laptop gave me a message "There is an issue with Trusted Platform Module TPM data," and I was forced to press "Y" to "reset whole TPM."Now, I cannot log into the laptop,...
  7. Locked out by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out by BitLocker: I have no BitLocker recovery key, and my locked device is not registered with my Microsoft account.The laptop gave me a message "There is an issue with Trusted Platform Module TPM data," and I was forced to press "Y" to "reset whole TPM."Now, I cannot log into the laptop,...
  8. Bitlocker locked me out after Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker locked me out after Windows update: Hello,I have been locked out of my computer after a Windows update, the message is asking me for my Bitlocker recovery key. I purchased this computer and no one else has ever touched it. I never had a Bitlocker recovery key. The version I have is a home edition and a lot of...
  9. Locked out by bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Locked out by bitlocker: I am locked out of windows 10 by bitlocker. It needs the 44 number key to unlock my PC. I went to my MS account and did not find it. I do not have it saved any place else that I know of. I do not have any other recovery methods. Is there some other way I can find this unlock...
  10. Bitlocker lock out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker lock out: Would be great if someone could get back to me, as locked out for 30 days! Cheers - Bitlocker has locked my laptop after updated - I have tried to get into my microsoft account but says it will send a code to me but never does, how do I get to talk to someone at Microsoft to...