Windows 10: Locked Out by Unauthorized Bitlocker Recovery

Discus and support Locked Out by Unauthorized Bitlocker Recovery in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently sent in my 2018 Dell Inspiron laptop w/ Windows 10 to have its motherboard replaced by Dell with OEM parts, so I paid a little extra. I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tyler Maingot, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Locked Out by Unauthorized Bitlocker Recovery

I recently sent in my 2018 Dell Inspiron laptop w/ Windows 10 to have its motherboard replaced by Dell with OEM parts, so I paid a little extra. I did this because I was not able to power it on due to a probable short. And because I was not able to power the laptop on before sending it in, I was not able to back up my data. Dell had my laptop for less than a week, to their credit, but when I received the laptop back and powered it on, I was greeted with a Bitlocker Recovery screen which asks for a 48 digit unique recovery key.

I did not ever enable Bitlocker Recovery on this laptop or on my SSD, there was never an option to nor a reason to. Following the instructions on the Bitlocker Recovery screen you are told to find the recovery key that supposedly would have been either printed out, stored on your Microsoft account, or on a separate USB device. I can confirm that no such key was ever provided to me or exists in a place that I could have found it. I've exhausted all possibilities there.

After reading through every article related to this problem on Microsoft's site and every other site, it is clear that this problem has affected many individuals and only one horrifying solution is provided: "just do a factory restore". That is not a solution, that is a failure. The fact that Bitlocker Recovery was enabled on my device without my permission and is now causing the loss of my data after a simple hardware change is both infuriating and causing an incalculable loss of personal data. Not only to myself, but to many.

Before anyone suggests it, yes, I've tried factory resetting my BIOS settings. Yes, I've looked in the devices for all of my Microsoft accounts.

I write here in the hope that every other article I've read is wrong and that there is something I can do to avoid doing a factory restore to my OS and data. Any suggestions are welcome!

:)

Tyler Maingot, Jun 8, 2020

2. recovery bitlocker blue screen

Hi Rick,

Please follow the suggestions below and check if you are able to boot to your desktop.

• Places to look for your BitLocker key:
      • On a printout you saved. Look in places you keep important papers.
      • Saved on a USB flash drive. Plug the USB flash drive into your locked PC and follow the instructions. If you saved the key as a text file on the flash drive, use a different computer to read the text file.
      • In your Microsoft account. To get your recovery key, go to
        BitLocker Recovery Keys.

• Or ask someone for help:
      • Ask someone with administrator privileges on the same PC to unlock it with their key.
      • If your PC is connected to a domain (usually a work or school computer), ask a system administrator for your recovery key

Hope this helps in resolving the bitlocker recovery keys. Keep us posted on the bitlocker recovery key issues. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Jun 8, 2020
  3. BitLocker recovery key

Hi Dan,

We understand that you're experiencing an issue related to Bitlocker.

Just to confirm, are you being asked for a Bitlocker recovery key from the lock screen after booting PC? If not, where are you exactly being asked for a Bitlocker recovery key?

Also, are you the only person that has an account on your device? Have you already done any troubleshooting steps to try to resolve the issue? If yes, what are these troubleshooting steps?

We'll be waiting for your confirmation.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Locked Out by Unauthorized Bitlocker Recovery

bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

Locked Out by Unauthorized Bitlocker Recovery

1. Locked Out by Unauthorized Bitlocker Recovery - Similar Threads - Locked Unauthorized Bitlocker

2. Locked out and can't get recovery key for Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out and can't get recovery key for Bitlocker: Hi,I am really stuck, recently i got stuck onto a Bitlocker recovery screen for Dell XPS with Windows 10.Its gives instruction to get a recovery key but they do not work. havre tried below links1. https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykeyTraceID:...
  3. Locked out and can't get recovery key for Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out and can't get recovery key for Bitlocker: Hi,I am really stuck, recently i got stuck onto a Bitlocker recovery screen for Dell XPS with Windows 10.Its gives instruction to get a recovery key but they do not work. havre tried below links1. https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykeyTraceID:...
  4. Locked out and can't get recovery key for Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Locked out by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out by BitLocker: I have no BitLocker recovery key, and my locked device is not registered with my Microsoft account.The laptop gave me a message "There is an issue with Trusted Platform Module TPM data," and I was forced to press "Y" to "reset whole TPM."Now, I cannot log into the laptop,...
  6. Locked out by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out by BitLocker: I have no BitLocker recovery key, and my locked device is not registered with my Microsoft account.The laptop gave me a message "There is an issue with Trusted Platform Module TPM data," and I was forced to press "Y" to "reset whole TPM."Now, I cannot log into the laptop,...
  7. Unexpectedly locked out of laptop / no BitLocker recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unexpectedly locked out of laptop / no BitLocker recovery key: I have been using my laptop for 18 months, and suddenly this morning I was unable to log in. Instead I have a message asking for my BitLocker recovery key "because your laptop's configuration has changed. This may have happened because a disk or USB has been inserted"I have...
  8. Locked out by bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Locked out by bitlocker: I am locked out of windows 10 by bitlocker. It needs the 44 number key to unlock my PC. I went to my MS account and did not find it. I do not have it saved any place else that I know of. I do not have any other recovery methods. Is there some other way I can find this unlock...
  9. Bitlocker lock out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker lock out: Would be great if someone could get back to me, as locked out for 30 days! Cheers - Bitlocker has locked my laptop after updated - I have tried to get into my microsoft account but says it will send a code to me but never does, how do I get to talk to someone at Microsoft to...
  10. Locked out of Windows through BitLocker Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Locked out of Windows through BitLocker Recovery: Hello, Today my Windows surface bitlocker popped up. I did not prompt it, I have never seen it. I tried to reset/move past it/boot into window 10 several times, but none of that worked. Eventually I looked up the 48 digit key and I have input it several times on both...