Windows 10: Locked out even as administrator

Discus and support Locked out even as administrator in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I fired up an infrequently used PC (Lenovo ThinkCentre M53) only to find that I am locked out of several functions such as device manager. A red banner... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by smoketoxdoc, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Locked out even as administrator

I fired up an infrequently used PC (Lenovo ThinkCentre M53) only to find that I am locked out of several functions such as device manager. A red banner comes up that says:
    This app has been blocked for your protection
    An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information contact the admistrator.

mmc.exe

Publisher: Unknown
    File origin: Hard drive on this computer
    Program location: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe" C:
    \WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc

I can run device manager from Admin version of Windows Powershell

Windows version number is 1903. All my other Win 10 PC's are 2004
    Also Windows Update says that I am up to date.

Thank you. John

:)

smoketoxdoc, Dec 29, 2020

2. Local Administrator account locked by family time restrictions

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties you are facing with the built-in Administrator account and
    we appreciate your effort in troubleshooting the issue and providing us the detailed information.

In this scenario we would suggest you to disable and the enable the
    built-in Administrator account using the command prompt from a different administrator user account and check if the issue persist.

Steps to disable and enable the built-in Administrator account.

1. Click on Windows Search/Cortana and type
      CMD, right click on command prompt and select run as admin.
    2. Type Net user administrator /active:no
      and hit enter key to disable the built-in Administrator account
    3. Restart the PC and login to the
      Administrator account and perform step 1.
    4. Type Net user administrator /active:yes
      and hit enter key to enable the built-in Administrator account

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Dec 29, 2020
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Dec 29, 2020
  4. jimbobs Win User

Locked out even as administrator

Administrator level User

Got the laptop. It's a Lenovo G500 so possibly has Lenovo stuff in the way? Anyway, booted it normally and it opens into a regular account without admin privileges. Rebooted it into Recovery mode (per Option 5) and get Lenovo logo and Preparing Automatic Repair message; then Select Account + "You need to sign in as an administrator to continue but there aren't any administrator accounts on this PC". There is an option "Forgot your password or don't see your account?" but selecting that brings up a screen which should list admin accounts but there aren't any. Pressing the only option on that page Restart leads eventually to a BSOD with Stop code: 0xc00002e3 (which I know is misconfigured o/s or missing or damaged system files).

Can anybody suggest next steps in resolving this?

jimbobs, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Locked out even as administrator

1. Locked out even as administrator - Similar Threads - Locked administrator

2. My security pin for my laptop is right. But it says my device is locked by an administrator

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My security pin for my laptop is right. But it says my device is locked by an administrator: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-security-pin-for-my-laptop-is-right-but-it-says/85a50963-8270-420f-bd71-33a5baf5ecac
  3. My security pin for my laptop is right. But it says my device is locked by an administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My security pin for my laptop is right. But it says my device is locked by an administrator: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-security-pin-for-my-laptop-is-right-but-it-says/85a50963-8270-420f-bd71-33a5baf5ecac
  4. My security pin for my laptop is right. But it says my device is locked by an administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I am locked out of my local administrator account because windows hello login is forced on

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I am locked out of my local administrator account because windows hello login is forced on: In summary the issue I want fixed is having the "smartcard login is required" message fixed as I do not have a smartcard or anything set up with windows hello in order to run things as admin on my main account.I have two accounts on my pc, and I wanted to use the local admin...
  6. I am locked out of my local administrator account because windows hello login is forced on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am locked out of my local administrator account because windows hello login is forced on: In summary the issue I want fixed is having the "smartcard login is required" message fixed as I do not have a smartcard or anything set up with windows hello in order to run things as admin on my main account.I have two accounts on my pc, and I wanted to use the local admin...
  7. I am locked out of my local administrator account because windows hello login is forced on

8. Window 11 Lock Screen is in Chinese Language while Administrator is set to English Australian?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 11 Lock Screen is in Chinese Language while Administrator is set to English Australian?: Starting up laptop running Windows 11 this morning, lock screen showing chinese language instead of English Australian. Went into language settings showing English Australian. Tried restarting still the same....
  9. Window 11 Lock Screen is in Chinese Language while Administrator is set to English Australian?

Window 11 Lock Screen is in Chinese Language while Administrator is set to English Australian?: Starting up laptop running Windows 11 this morning, lock screen showing chinese language instead of English Australian. Went into language settings showing English Australian. Tried restarting still the same....
  10. Laptop locked by administrator

Laptop locked by administrator: HiMy windows 11 Dell laptop is saying its locked by an administrator however my microsoft account is fine. Control alt delete doesn't do anything, how can I sign in? If I enter the pin it just says locked by an administrator...