Windows 10: Locked out of account, did the 30 day wait, now at square 1

Discus and support Locked out of account, did the 30 day wait, now at square 1 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Some time back I set up 2-factor authentication on my account, didn't realize the extreme importance of the recovery code that was presented, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ethan_263, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Ethan_263 Win User

Locked out of account, did the 30 day wait, now at square 1

Some time back I set up 2-factor authentication on my account, didn't realize the extreme importance of the recovery code that was presented, and promptly forgot my password. When I tried to reset, it became obvious this should be called 3-factor! Anyway, I went ahead and started the 30 day wait using my wife's email address as alternate contact method that was 6/5/22Part way through the 30 days I did see a message indicating recovery still pending, so I continued waiting. However, 30 days has now come and gone but we did not receive whatever message was supposed to allow me to finish the pr

:)

Ethan_263, Jul 15, 2022
  2. vthimmaHO Win User

Hotmail account locked - I have to wait 30 days to get the reset link

Hello All,

I have been using my hotmail account since 22 years. I had setup 2 step verification to my account. I recently forgot my password and while trying to reset my password, the system prompted me to enter last 4 digits of my call number. I received a text message
    with a pin to enter, I have entered the pin and a window popped up asking me to specify the second step account verification without listing the second verification in the popped up window. I am curious that when I setup the 2 step verification
    I am SURE that I did add one of my other email id as the second step verification. So, I used the last option to reach out to MS account security team to send me a password reset link to one of my other email id. I am stuck now for 30 days now.

I requested MS account security to reset my password on 6/2/20.

Can someone please answer whether I have to wait until 7/2 to get the reset password link to my other email id to will I get it earlier than 30 days?

And, how does the accountprotection.microsoft.com team communicate back to me?

Thanks and Regards,

vthimmaHO, Jul 15, 2022
  3. 30 day wait?

Hi,

I gave my Lumia 920 to my son to use, with the idea that I'll be able to activate Family Safety on the phone as I did on his tablet. I reset the phone and started to enter his Outlook.com credentials for the Microsoft account. But when the verification is
    done, it still wants to send the verification code to my cell number - and not his. I made sure that his SIM card is used, but it insisted to send the verification to my number. When I changed the security info to his number, it said that I'll have to wait
    30 days for the change to take affect.

I understand some of the logic behind the 30 day wait, but for two reasons it's totally impractical in my case:

1. I have control over the phone and accounts, so I should be able to decide what to active and when - not the system.

2. My son can only use the phone when I can monitor his internet access - he now has to wait 30 days before that can happen - total waste!

Thys

ThysMarais, Jul 15, 2022
  4. DJ1982i Win User

Microsoft Account 30 day wait

About two years ago I added my mobile number to my account, and removed the old one. But when I went on yesterday it still had the old number, so I attempted to change it again. My new number is already associated with Xbox as I sometimes get texts - and
    I also can make purchases. I wanted to get 2-Step authentication as I have recently moved back to Windows from Apple after enjoying time on my older windows PC.

I have, in the past 5 years:

Logged in with this account and had an Xbox 360

Logged in on this account to play games on Windows

Logged in on this account when I got my Xbox One

Logged in and used Skype

Logged in on Windows on my partitioned Mac

Logged in on One Drive on my Phone

Bought a new Windows PC and logged in this week.

Now I am asked to change my details and wait 30 days. I find this incredibly fustrating as I want to set up secure features now so I can get the most out of my laptop as I will be WFH - but will be taking the laptop with me on occasions I do have to go out.

I have consistantly used this MS account on multiple devices and have already changed my number, but I guess it has different usages for changing numbers and changing it in one place doesnt in another?

Can somebody please remove the 30 day wait.

DJ1982i, Jul 15, 2022
Thema:

1. Locked out of account, did the 30 day wait, now at square 1 - Similar Threads - Locked account did

2. Locked out for 30 days. Verification Dilemma

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out for 30 days. Verification Dilemma: Hello and thank you for any help you can give to rescue my laptop from being a brick for the next 30 daysI bought a new laptop Lenovo i7 with Windows 11 and in setting it up I chose to use my thumbprint to unlock the computer. It also had me sign into my Microsoft account....
  3. Locked out for 30 days. Verification Dilemma

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out for 30 days. Verification Dilemma: Hello and thank you for any help you can give to rescue my laptop from being a brick for the next 30 daysI bought a new laptop Lenovo i7 with Windows 11 and in setting it up I chose to use my thumbprint to unlock the computer. It also had me sign into my Microsoft account....
  4. Locked out of computer because of Microsoft 30 day wait

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of computer because of Microsoft 30 day wait: Im unable to do anything since in order to log into my computer its making me set up a pin and in order to set up a pin i need to log into Microsoft yet i dont have the number linked to it anymore so i requested to change it. The page has updated since and now it says “your...
  5. Locked out of computer because of Microsoft 30 day wait

Locked out of computer because of Microsoft 30 day wait: Im unable to do anything since in order to log into my computer its making me set up a pin and in order to set up a pin i need to log into Microsoft yet i dont have the number linked to it anymore so i requested to change it. The page has updated since and now it says “your...
  6. Locked out of account, did the 30 day wait, now at square 1

Locked out of account, did the 30 day wait, now at square 1: Some time back I set up 2-factor authentication on my account, didn't realize the extreme importance of the recovery code that was presented, and promptly forgot my password. When I tried to reset, it became obvious this should be called 3-factor! Anyway, I went ahead and...
  7. 30 day wait for secondary email change.

30 day wait for secondary email change.: My laptop failed to start after a Windows update. I was then prompted for a 42 digit recovery key, which I had no idea about. I was advised to sign into my Microsoft account, which I had never used and didn't want. I eventually found my account email but had no idea what the...
  8. 30 day wait for secondary email change.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    30 day wait for secondary email change.: My laptop failed to start after a Windows update. I was then prompted for a 42 digit recovery key, which I had no idea about. I was advised to sign into my Microsoft account, which I had never used and didn't want. I eventually found my account email but had no idea what the...
  9. Hotmail account locked - I have to wait 30 days to get the reset link

Hotmail account locked - I have to wait 30 days to get the reset link: Hello All, I have been using my hotmail account since 22 years. I had setup 2 step verification to my account. I recently forgot my password and while trying to reset my password, the system prompted me to enter last 4 digits of my call number. I received a text message...
  10. Microsoft Account 30 day wait

Microsoft Account 30 day wait: About two years ago I added my mobile number to my account, and removed the old one. But when I went on yesterday it still had the old number, so I attempted to change it again. My new number is already associated with Xbox as I sometimes get texts - and I also can make...