Windows 10: Locked out of Administrator, "file does not have a program associated"

Discus and support Locked out of Administrator, "file does not have a program associated" in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I was attempting to change the User administrator name so that it reflected a new windows explorer file path. When my SO set up the machine, she set... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by imnevilwalrus, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Locked out of Administrator, "file does not have a program associated"

I was attempting to change the User administrator name so that it reflected a new windows explorer file path. When my SO set up the machine, she set the user name as "Mike & Steph". Well, this is now in the file path for all of our files and I work with software where no special characters or spaces can be in the file path.

As I tried to change it, I found a forum that said to create a new local user, set it as the administrator, and delete the old one. I was wary of deleting the old one, so I created a new local user, made it the Administrator, then restarted the machine. Now I am unable to sign in as the new Admin user, when I try to I get an error message and kicked back to the Windows start-up/sign-in menu.

I am unable to sign in as the administrator at all, or change the Admin rights back to the old user.

When I try to sign into the Command Prompt (Admin), it prompts me to enter the Admin password. I do, and I get the error:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."

I am not even able to system restore, as I cannot sign in as Administrator. How can I fix this so that I can just go back to the "Mike & Steph" original user as the Administrator?

Any help would be much appreciated. I am very worried I have to restore the whole system.

Thank you!

:)

imnevilwalrus, Oct 9, 2016

2. DUI70.dll missing

I can't open command prompt as administrator. Followed what you said and it says "this file does have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default
    programs control panel". Is there much I can do anyway cause I can't open control panel

Username2016, Oct 9, 2016
  3. CraigLong Win User
    This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Locked out of folders!

I would try a System Restore which I do when my computer gets messed up usually from some program I installed.

CraigLong, Oct 9, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Locked out of Administrator, "file does not have a program associated"

Bree, Oct 9, 2016
Thema:

Locked out of Administrator, "file does not have a program associated"

1. Locked out of Administrator, "file does not have a program associated" - Similar Threads - Locked Administrator file

2. ms-settings:personalization-background "This file does not have a program associated with...

in Windows 10 Customization
    ms-settings:personalization-background "This file does not have a program associated with...: The year is 2020 and I started having the problem people have been having for the last five years. I've tried the sfc and dism method but didn't work and for some reason I'm not able to create a new user. How can I solve it? Windows version 2004 os build 19041.508...
  3. this file does not have an app associated with it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    this file does not have an app associated with it: I just bought a brand new pc. And I'm trying to download a file and it keeps saying "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. please install an app, or if one is installed, create an association in the default apps setting page." Is there...
  4. File does not have an app associated with it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File does not have an app associated with it: I installed an application today to try to open an .RAL file a client sent me. It was supposed to be a data file but I couldn't open it and wanted to see it so I installed a trail version of WinRail. It still couldn't open it, so I tried to uninstall WinRail. I am getting...
  5. Can't uninstall program ''File does not have a program associated with it''

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't uninstall program ''File does not have a program associated with it'': I want to uninstall some programs but I can't because when I try I get the ''this file is not associated with a program to perform the action'' and I don't know how to fix it. Should I download an uninstaller program? Please help x...
  6. This file does not have an app associated with it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This file does not have an app associated with it: The early August update (at least that is when it f*cked my machine) changed a lot of stuff Is use regularly. The worst problem for me is that the .PAR2 files have a different icon then before which prevents using the .PAR2 files from doing there checking of the down loaded...
  7. This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please...

in Windows 10 Customization
    This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please...: New computer. Win 10 pro. I have installed just a few apps so far. Clicking on a word document, powerpoint document or adobe file gives the message below. I have Office365 installed and licensed. Adobe Acrobat Standard 2017 installed and licensed. Help! This file does...
  8. Win 10 "This file does not have a program associated with it for perfo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 "This file does not have a program associated with it for perfo: this is NOT the first time win 10 has given this issue for me when it updates: " This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. ....." it is NOT my fault that i can no longer open folders via right click or double click! (as that's what...
  9. Run as administrator -> This file does not have a program associated..

in Windows 10 Support
    Run as administrator -> This file does not have a program associated..: There seems to be a permanent "Run as administrator" entry in my right-click context menu. If I click on this for anything but an executable or shortcut to an executable, Windows 10 throws the below error, even if I do have a program associated with the file type. [img]...
  10. Notification Area does not have a program associated with it

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification Area does not have a program associated with it: I just installed a second hard drive for data, leaving my C: drive for just the OS and programs. Not wanting to go crazy with sysprep, I decided to just move my special folders the approved way: Properties => Location. This was going swimmingly until I got to...